Hopefully you wonderful folks can help me.

So you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on this one:

Recently switched from a 1.5/1.5 DSL from Qwest. (I live in Portland, Oregon.) I decided, after getting screwed by Qwest one too many times, that Comcast was my best bet from there. My DSL ISP was never to blame - not once. Qwest was always doing something...ya know.

Well, my Comcast cable Internet is running fine, but only on my computer. There are two other that I'm trying to get working, but for some reason, neither machine will acquire an IP address from the DHCP pool. Now, I have an Intel "InBusiness" switch that supports DHCP (Note: I'm getting activity on the Intel switch on all three machines, ie, the LED's flash when I plug the eithernet cable from the computer to the switch...yet neither of the two other computers will get an IP, no matter how many times I release/renew/repair/etc. My Linux machine won't acquire an IP address, either, so I'm wondering if this is something Comcast is doing? Would they not allow more than one computer to access the Internet? That couldn't be...my stepdad has several. Anybody got any ideas?

Oh, side note: The Intel switch was given to me by my stepdad, I plugged it in and my primary machine worked...there isn't any reprogramming I have to do on the switch, do I?

Unless you are paying for multiple IP addresses, most comcast cable Internet accounts only include one dynamic IP address and access from one host. If you want to share the connection, you will need to set up that one host as a router/proxy.

If you believe that you have a business type account that includes multiple IP addresses, contact Comcast. Please note that if your switch is actually a router, that DHCP is not a routeable protocol.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

The way he did it up was just configure his router 10.0.0.1 and had three computers running on comcast, the address was assigned by the router.

So your step dad is probably only getting one IP address from concast's DHCP servers too. Do you have a router? SOHO router's are inexpensive and usually include a built in 4 port switch.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Let me check in with my stepdad on that. Thanks for the ideas.

Okay, I'm a dumba$$. I have a switch, not a router, and obviously there's no way in hell a box can get an IP from a switch...so that's taken care of now.

I should have checked this forum the other day before I slapped myself in the face ... I'm smarter than this, really. :-)