hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : ******? Rackspace? Rackshack? Others?

Forum Jump

******? Rackspace? Rackshack? Others?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2002, 08:21 AM

Question

******? Rackspace? Rackshack? Others?

Hello! I am looking for a dedicated host to put up 200 domains. I have been reading this forum and trying to figure out things. I think the most important things for me are ease of use and cheap and plentiful gigabyte transfer.
Not having run a dedicated server before, I am very interested in being easy to set-up and run all these domains. What host is best for ease of use and yet is still inexpense with 50 gigs of transfer a month or so, minimum. I am looking in the $200 dollar or less per month range and am looking for Linux/Unix servers.
Thanks for your help.
Bradley

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2002, 08:29 AM
Radiant Troll

Re: ******? Rackspace? Rackshack? Others?

Then RackShack is out of your choice. RackShack is unmanaged dedicated server provider.

Quote:
Originally posted by bradley

Not having run a dedicated server before, ...

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:38 AM

I am also curious as to why the bulletin board software changed my subject line, leaving out ******.com as the first mentioned dedicated web host. Somthing changed my subject line from:
******? Rackspace? Rackshack?
to this:
Anyway, how do these dedicated servers compare and what is one that offers the best ease of use for a new systems administrator?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Radiant Troll

**** (censored) means the host once did a bad thing on this forum and has been censored for the love of the God.

Rackspace is expensive but has very very, probably the best reputation. I believe their servers are managed.

RackShack is cheap and affordable Unmangaed dedicated server provider. You don't expect support from RackShack. You solve your problems on your own unless it is network problem, hardware issues or a problem that requires reintall.

I don't know the first host you mentioned, as the name go censored out,

Quote:
I am also curious as to why the bulletin board software changed my subject line, leaving out ******.com as the first mentioned dedicated web host. Somthing changed my subject line from:
to this:
Anyway, how do these dedicated servers compare and what is one that offers the best ease of use for a new systems administrator?

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:44 AM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Quote:
I am also curious as to why the bulletin board software changed my subject line, leaving out ******.com . . . . .
If you email moderators@webhostingtalk.com someone would tell you.

Old 05-14-2002, 09:22 AM
Web Hosting Master

Greetings:

"Rackspace is expensive but has very very, probably the best reputation. I believe their servers are managed."

Expensive compared to what when comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges?

Actually, Rackspace.com is very competitively priced for what they offer.

Rackspace.com manages their network and their hardware. They have among the very best of network SLA's and an extremely good (hard to beat) hardware SLA.

They work with partners to add the extra management services often needed to actually run the box.

Thank you.

Old 05-14-2002, 09:43 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

If anybody knows who the censored host is could you please PM me as I am interested to know who it is!!

www.pairone.com

Old 05-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

I have servers at rackshack and rackspace.

You must have knowledge of Linux if yo go with rackshack. Or you can find someone to the admin jobs and i don't think it's expensive.

If you don't have much knowledge about linux, go with rackspace, they provide world class support.

Max

Old 05-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Web Hosting Master

I wonder if it's ******...

Old 05-14-2002, 11:16 AM
Web Hosting Master

Looks like it is! Just do yourself a favor and cross them off your list.

Old 05-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Is there any managed service in-between rackshack - rackspace price?

Rackspace provide very very expensive bandwidth cost, that's why I'm not going with them...

Old 05-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Greetings CoreFighter:

Expensive compared to what?

I don't have the answer to who else, but be sure to check the following:

What is their network SLA?

What is their hardware SLA?

What is managed? What is not managed?

What are the response times? Resolution times?

Thank you.

Old 05-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Disabled

Smile

Hi,

I think the key here is what do you mean by management?

Rackshack has cheap servers and pretty much sends you into the woods by yourself.

Rackspace has a very good reputation and I have worked with them before, but their "management" is pretty sparse.

They will take excellent care of you from a hardware and network up-time perspective (I think it's 99.999%), but when it comes to conflicts not involving hardware, network, or pre-installed software, I think you would still be on your own.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Rackspace works with partners to take care of it's customers' managed service needs, but I know for a fact that those fees will be in addition to the hardware package you go with.

I guess it just depends how much help you will need

Old 05-14-2002, 11:39 AM
Web Hosting Master

I love Rackspace, they are by far the best in the industry as far as connections, services, support, and hardware/software.

I also believe that they are the best for the price, every dollar you pay them is well worth it.

Jim

Old 05-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

RACKSPACE!!!

I've been thru two other hosts. They had great prices, but I paid in the end. I finally gave up on looking for a reliable host for a cheap cheap price(which might not exist) and headed over to Rackspace. I can honestly tell you that I will NEVER have to switch again. Their support truly is fanatical and the speed and uptime is unreal. In the hosting industry, nothing is more important then reputation...AND Rackspace is blemish free.

Anyone else here get a Fanatical Support T-shirt from them?

Edit: Fixed my poor spelling

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Rackspace Launches OpenStack e-Learning Course for On-Demand Training Web Hosting News 2013-09-25 17:10:12
Rackspace Launches Free Cloud Assessment Tool for Windows Server 2012 Migration Web Hosting News 2013-07-31 13:27:03
Rackspace Hosting to Invest $5.5M to Expand Maryland IT Hosting Operation Web Hosting News 2013-07-16 09:49:49
Rackspace Integrates Mailgun into Cloud Control Panel Web Hosting News 2013-05-23 14:55:51
Rackspace Launches Fanatical Support for Developers Web Hosting News 2013-05-16 13:02:32