monitoring bandwidth

i want to offer web space with limited amount of bandwidth, but im not sure how to track each persons individual amount of used bandwidth. how can i generate reports of their bandwidth usage, AND i would like to put them in a mysql database

Why you don't use a control panel? Any control panel would make it. I would recommend Direct Admin.
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

I agree, just get a control panel... I'd have to recommend cPanel, it's very established and clients ask for it by name.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

plesk is another option

the thing is im maknig a multipurpose control panel for my customers. becasue it integrates with other services i have. it also keeps me from having to buy cpanel

i myself have cpanel on my site becasue of my webhost. is there a way to use this to put the bandwidth usage information into a database

Wouldnt you be able to run a scan of the domain log files from apache (or whatever your http server is) and pull the data sent from and to for each domain/user?

Im pretty sure this is what Cpanel does.

If you're not sure how to monitor bandwidth usage, you may want to rethink the idea of writing a control panel.
    apex13 - http://www.apex13.com/
    stream13 - coming soon

You Should Be Having a Web Host Manager Control Panel installed. I am not Sure About That.
    Web Hosting is not a business for me, it's a hobby!

and as far as using a control panel, plesk is good for monitoring the bandwidth, but it does not stop the client from going over their bandwidth, its more of a notification, not an enforcer.

Quote Originally Posted by roshanl
    You Should Be Having a Web Host Manager Control Panel installed. I am not Sure About That.
    If you are not sure, don't comment. Simple.

I Do Know, That is Why I mentioned about the webhostmanager cp. I mentioned that I am not sure, because I dont really limit Bandwidth Usage. Dont Try to Start Fights.
    Web Hosting is not a business for me, it's a hobby!

i guess i mistated my question

im not running my website /hosted websites off of a dedicated or virtual dedicate server. its a shared webhosting package in which i want to give customers a small amount of webspace and bandwidth.

i finally got to talk to someone from my host (after explaining what i was trying to do with the tech support). he said hell give me access to the apache logs that contain to my website. so my problem is solved

earlier i was thinking that i would end up not being able to do this