What is the cheapest way to grab an expired domain?

There are a few domains that are expiring soon that I want to get (attempt to get at least...)So... what would the cheapest way to grab the expired domain?

The cheapest way is to let them expire and drop, hope no dropcatcher or domain taster picks them up, then register them at Yahoo. Of course I don't recommend any of that if you actually want to stand a chance of actually aquiring and using the domain.

Exclamation

Depending on the desirability, hand-registering it might work. For example if I ever let guy-macon.info expire, chances are that nobody would try to grab it; it is useless to anyone else and not even all that useful even to me since I own guymacon.com and guy-macon.com.

If you think someone else may try to hand-register it, a backorder with godaddy will usually beat hand-registering and costs $18.95 for a year or until you get a domain -- if you don't get it, you can re-assign the backorder to another domain.

Moving up in price, a Pool.com or SnapNames.com backorder will usually beat a godaddy backorder. If the registrar has the domain now auctions domains before dropping them, that will beat pool and snapnames. And at the top end of the cost and effectiveness scale is buying the doamin from the current owner before it expires, or possibly for the limited time after it expires when he can still redeem it.

Quote Originally Posted by guymacon
    For example if I ever let guy-macon.info expire, chances are that nobody would try to grab it; it is useless to anyone else and not even all that useful even to me since I own guymacon.com and guy-macon.com.
    This is EXACTLY how many people lose their valuable domains: thinking that nobody else wants their "useless" domains.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

You can try the eNom.com auction system... works pretty well, but of course (like any "dropping service), it's not guaranteed.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Programs to do it your self

Hmm... What about using your own programs like the "eNom Domain Grabber"

"eNom Domain Grabber does automated registration submissions to the registrar eNom. The user simply has to put what domain names they want to try and "grab" "
    Has any one here ever used a program to automate registrations? Are they ever successful?
    And has there ever been a case were these automated registers were look at as malicious?

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave
    This is EXACTLY how many people lose their valuable domains: thinking that nobody else wants their "useless" domains.
    They are either valuable or useless in the eyes of the owner, not both. Their value to a buyer is what that buyer is willing to pay for them.

As for potential buyers, if your name is Ichabod Leroy Yakamoto-Lipschitz and ichabodleroyyakamotolipschitz.com and .net are open, it is a pretty good guess that ichabodleroyyakamotolipschitz.info is unlikely to be snapped up as soon as it expires.

These sort of scripts are garbage and not worth $1.

The places like pool.com and snapnames.com have thousands of connections directly to the registry and can try to "grab" the domain the SECOND it is available.

With your own script, you might be lucky to have 1 registration attempt per second. However, your regisration provider is likely to ban your IP if you attempt to many connections within a given space of time. (ie: eNom allows only 60 connections per minute.)
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Dot com domains can only be checked once/second by an account. With a domain grabber script, and an Enom, or other registrar account, you can check once/second and register if it is available. That will beat anyone who is watching it to order manually when they find it available, but if it is backordered anywhere, the script has almost no chance of getting it.

Pool and Snapnames use multiple accounts to be able to attempt to get several domains by checking them multiple times per second. The once/second script can still beat them if it happens to check within milliseconds after the release, but the odds are very low.

If there is a chance someone has backordered a domain, the only way to have a chance of getting it is to also backorder it. The more places you backorder it with, the better the chance.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

Ok. We've moved away from "what is the cheapest" to "how to successfully back order a domain". Therefore I think it's time to suggest reading the thread "Backordering" on the "Domain Name Tutorials" section of this Forum.