Hybrid View

Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Trojans; Now..Ransomware!!!

"The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

That does it!

I'm never connecting to the internet again!!!

(It's not political, so it's OK to read)

Computer Virus Demands Ransom for Encrypted Files

Wow that really is stupid.

Scum

Quote Originally Posted by adorno
    "The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

That does it!

Interesting new concept... I've heard of this happening before, but not through a trojan.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

So , you are in the future ..

Just wait until one comes out that takes over windows explorer, and locks down all access except a text file on how to get the password. Of course, theres ways around that, but most people arent that puter savvy...

Well, shouldn't they be easy to track down? They have to receive the $300.00 somewhere, and that shouldn't be too hard to trace and track down and have them beaten to an inch of their lives, and then forced to watch "Newlyweds" for 72 hours straight.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Well, shouldn't they be easy to track down? They have to receive the $300.00 somewhere, and that shouldn't be too hard to trace and track down ...
    That could be true, but you'd think that anybody who's smart enough to create such a trojan would be smart enough to cover his tracks. Now, what would happen if the hacker suspected that he's about to be caught and decided to skip town and leave your files locked under the trojan? I know that eventually somebody would be able to unlock the files, but for the duration that they're locked, you're unable to use them.

forced to watch "Newlyweds" for 72 hours straight
    I feel sorry for your kids!

... and i thought i had it hard sitting in the corner for 20 minutes LOL, you should change your name: Aussie "Punishment" Bob!

Back on topic: I wonder if it uses standard zip passworrds or a different type of encryption - from what i understand zip passwords take a matter of seconds to overright with a new password but obviously the same cant be said about MD5 with a salt ;-)

damn hackers!

Interesting concept. But ya... they have to receive the money somewhere... so unless you're forced to send cash to a cave in the mountains of Afganistan... it should be simple for authorities to track them down.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Swiss bank accounts for the win.

Ok but in reality, I don't think I've ever heard of a hacker that cares about making some sort of profit from it, most hackers are bored spring break kids... not dedicated crooks.

My point is that hey, if they put it in a password protected zip file then so be it... But why should they ransom it? Just putting it in there is enough for them...
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting • cPanel+Softaculous • Email Hosting • Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

That's what you get for not having protection on your computer then lol..

Seriously though, if you backup your stuff then this wouldnt be a problem. If it happened simply through in your OS disk, format and reinstall.

it uses the password: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98"
    I wonder what the dude used to program it

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...an.cryzip.html

Quote Originally Posted by adorno

That does it!

There'll be a fix soon

And if C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98 isnt on the computer?? Oh well, I'm gonna love this one. I'll charge $100 to get pass

A common misconception about swiss bank account is that your dirty money is safe there. It might have been true before, but not it simply isn't anymore. Swiss authorities generally comply with other institution (such as the IRS, etc) when it comes to find illegal/dirty/stolen etc money. About the trojan tho, if I was to run such a thing, I'd use e-gold as a payment processor...because first, it's anonymous, you don't have to file correct infos. Second, since it's anonymous and based out of caribeans, there's not much that can be done. Secondo, you can use a blank (anonymous still) debit card to cash out your e-gold at any ATM that accept mastercards. (I personally use a gcard (www.mygcard.com). E-gold deposit onto your card dont require any identification, withdrawing neither. There are many more ways to get money without getting caught. If the guy is the least bit smart, he should be able to get away with it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Inc
    A common misconception about swiss bank account is that your dirty money is safe there. It might have been true before, but not it simply isn't anymore. Swiss authorities generally comply with other institution (such as the IRS, etc) when it comes to find illegal/dirty/stolen etc money. About the trojan tho, if I was to run such a thing, I'd use e-gold as a payment processor...because first, it's anonymous, you don't have to file correct infos. Second, since it's anonymous and based out of caribeans, there's not much that can be done. Secondo, you can use a blank (anonymous still) debit card to cash out your e-gold at any ATM that accept mastercards. (I personally use a gcard (www.mygcard.com). E-gold deposit onto your card dont require any identification, withdrawing neither. There are many more ways to get money without getting caught. If the guy is the least bit smart, he should be able to get away with it easily.
    The e-gold account could be reported.

Depositing money anywhere is logged, and that information can be tracked down.

yes, it could be reported...and IF (because they have a no-chargeback/acount freezing policy. It has happened before tho) they locked the account, it takes 2 minutes to make another one.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    The e-gold account could be reported.
    According to the symantec info it generates a random account number. Maybe we all need to get an e-gold account, hope the virus really spreads then treat it like a lottery and see if our number comes up
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

This one gave me a good giggle. Holding files for a ransom. heh.
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87