Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,194

    Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Trojans; Now..Ransomware!!!

    "The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

    That does it!

    I'm never connecting to the internet again!!!

    (It's not political, so it's OK to read)


    Computer Virus Demands Ransom for Encrypted Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    Wow that really is stupid.

    Scum


    Quote Originally Posted by adorno
    "The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

    That does it!

    I'm never connecting to the internet again!!!

    (It's not political, so it's OK to read)


    Computer Virus Demands Ransom for Encrypted Files

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,873
    Interesting new concept... I've heard of this happening before, but not through a trojan.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Free Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    641
    So , you are in the future ..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Just wait until one comes out that takes over windows explorer, and locks down all access except a text file on how to get the password. Of course, theres ways around that, but most people arent that puter savvy...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,006
    Well, shouldn't they be easy to track down? They have to receive the $300.00 somewhere, and that shouldn't be too hard to trace and track down and have them beaten to an inch of their lives, and then forced to watch "Newlyweds" for 72 hours straight.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    506
    forced to watch "Newlyweds" for 72 hours straight
    I feel sorry for your kids!

    ... and i thought i had it hard sitting in the corner for 20 minutes LOL, you should change your name: Aussie "Punishment" Bob!

    Back on topic: I wonder if it uses standard zip passworrds or a different type of encryption - from what i understand zip passwords take a matter of seconds to overright with a new password but obviously the same cant be said about MD5 with a salt ;-)

    damn hackers!

  8. #8
    Interesting concept. But ya... they have to receive the money somewhere... so unless you're forced to send cash to a cave in the mountains of Afganistan... it should be simple for authorities to track them down.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Well, shouldn't they be easy to track down? They have to receive the $300.00 somewhere, and that shouldn't be too hard to trace and track down ...
    That could be true, but you'd think that anybody who's smart enough to create such a trojan would be smart enough to cover his tracks. Now, what would happen if the hacker suspected that he's about to be caught and decided to skip town and leave your files locked under the trojan? I know that eventually somebody would be able to unlock the files, but for the duration that they're locked, you're unable to use them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    438
    Swiss bank accounts for the win.

    Ok but in reality, I don't think I've ever heard of a hacker that cares about making some sort of profit from it, most hackers are bored spring break kids... not dedicated crooks.

    My point is that hey, if they put it in a password protected zip file then so be it... But why should they ransom it? Just putting it in there is enough for them...
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting cPanel+Softaculous Email Hosting Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Under the sea
    Posts
    4,208
    That's what you get for not having protection on your computer then lol..

    Seriously though, if you backup your stuff then this wouldnt be a problem. If it happened simply through in your OS disk, format and reinstall.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    268
    it uses the password: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98"
    I wonder what the dude used to program it

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...an.cryzip.html

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by adorno
    "The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

    That does it!

    I'm never connecting to the internet again!!!

    (It's not political, so it's OK to read)


    Computer Virus Demands Ransom for Encrypted Files
    There'll be a fix soon

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    And if C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98 isnt on the computer?? Oh well, I'm gonna love this one. I'll charge $100 to get pass

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    441
    A common misconception about swiss bank account is that your dirty money is safe there. It might have been true before, but not it simply isn't anymore. Swiss authorities generally comply with other institution (such as the IRS, etc) when it comes to find illegal/dirty/stolen etc money. About the trojan tho, if I was to run such a thing, I'd use e-gold as a payment processor...because first, it's anonymous, you don't have to file correct infos. Second, since it's anonymous and based out of caribeans, there's not much that can be done. Secondo, you can use a blank (anonymous still) debit card to cash out your e-gold at any ATM that accept mastercards. (I personally use a gcard (www.mygcard.com). E-gold deposit onto your card dont require any identification, withdrawing neither. There are many more ways to get money without getting caught. If the guy is the least bit smart, he should be able to get away with it easily.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,328
    This one gave me a good giggle. Holding files for a ransom. heh.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Inc
    A common misconception about swiss bank account is that your dirty money is safe there. It might have been true before, but not it simply isn't anymore. Swiss authorities generally comply with other institution (such as the IRS, etc) when it comes to find illegal/dirty/stolen etc money. About the trojan tho, if I was to run such a thing, I'd use e-gold as a payment processor...because first, it's anonymous, you don't have to file correct infos. Second, since it's anonymous and based out of caribeans, there's not much that can be done. Secondo, you can use a blank (anonymous still) debit card to cash out your e-gold at any ATM that accept mastercards. (I personally use a gcard (www.mygcard.com). E-gold deposit onto your card dont require any identification, withdrawing neither. There are many more ways to get money without getting caught. If the guy is the least bit smart, he should be able to get away with it easily.
    The e-gold account could be reported.

    Depositing money anywhere is logged, and that information can be tracked down.
    Wirenine.com Pure SSD Premium DDoS Protected Hosting
    Shared, Reseller, Managed VPS & WordPress hosting 24/7 US based Support
    100% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee! Tweet us @wirenine Like US on Facebook

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    441
    yes, it could be reported...and IF (because they have a no-chargeback/acount freezing policy. It has happened before tho) they locked the account, it takes 2 minutes to make another one.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    The e-gold account could be reported.
    According to the symantec info it generates a random account number. Maybe we all need to get an e-gold account, hope the virus really spreads then treat it like a lottery and see if our number comes up
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  20. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •