hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Trojans; Now..Ransomware!!!

Forum Jump

Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Trojans; Now..Ransomware!!!

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Disabled

Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Trojans; Now..Ransomware!!!

"The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

That does it!

I'm never connecting to the internet again!!!

(It's not political, so it's OK to read)

Computer Virus Demands Ransom for Encrypted Files

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Wow that really is stupid.

Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorno
"The Trojan, identified as Cryzip, uses a commercial zip library to store the victim's documents inside a password-protected zip file and leaves step-by-step instructions on how to pay the ransom to retrieve the files."

That does it!

Old
Security Ninja

Interesting new concept... I've heard of this happening before, but not through a trojan.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

So , you are in the future ..

Old
Web Hosting Master

Just wait until one comes out that takes over windows explorer, and locks down all access except a text file on how to get the password. Of course, theres ways around that, but most people arent that puter savvy...

Old
Older than the Internet

Well, shouldn't they be easy to track down? They have to receive the $300.00 somewhere, and that shouldn't be too hard to trace and track down and have them beaten to an inch of their lives, and then forced to watch "Newlyweds" for 72 hours straight.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
forced to watch "Newlyweds" for 72 hours straight
I feel sorry for your kids!

... and i thought i had it hard sitting in the corner for 20 minutes LOL, you should change your name: Aussie "Punishment" Bob!

Back on topic: I wonder if it uses standard zip passworrds or a different type of encryption - from what i understand zip passwords take a matter of seconds to overright with a new password but obviously the same cant be said about MD5 with a salt ;-)

damn hackers!

Old
Mr. Awesome

Interesting concept. But ya... they have to receive the money somewhere... so unless you're forced to send cash to a cave in the mountains of Afganistan... it should be simple for authorities to track them down.

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
Well, shouldn't they be easy to track down? They have to receive the $300.00 somewhere, and that shouldn't be too hard to trace and track down ...
That could be true, but you'd think that anybody who's smart enough to create such a trojan would be smart enough to cover his tracks. Now, what would happen if the hacker suspected that he's about to be caught and decided to skip town and leave your files locked under the trojan? I know that eventually somebody would be able to unlock the files, but for the duration that they're locked, you're unable to use them.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Swiss bank accounts for the win.

Ok but in reality, I don't think I've ever heard of a hacker that cares about making some sort of profit from it, most hackers are bored spring break kids... not dedicated crooks.

My point is that hey, if they put it in a password protected zip file then so be it... But why should they ransom it? Just putting it in there is enough for them...

Old
Temporarily Suspended

That's what you get for not having protection on your computer then lol..

Seriously though, if you backup your stuff then this wouldnt be a problem. If it happened simply through in your OS disk, format and reinstall.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

it uses the password: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98"
I wonder what the dude used to program it

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...an.cryzip.html

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorno

That does it!

There'll be a fix soon

Old
Web Hosting Master

And if C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98 isnt on the computer?? Oh well, I'm gonna love this one. I'll charge $100 to get pass

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

A common misconception about swiss bank account is that your dirty money is safe there. It might have been true before, but not it simply isn't anymore. Swiss authorities generally comply with other institution (such as the IRS, etc) when it comes to find illegal/dirty/stolen etc money. About the trojan tho, if I was to run such a thing, I'd use e-gold as a payment processor...because first, it's anonymous, you don't have to file correct infos. Second, since it's anonymous and based out of caribeans, there's not much that can be done. Secondo, you can use a blank (anonymous still) debit card to cash out your e-gold at any ATM that accept mastercards. (I personally use a gcard (www.mygcard.com). E-gold deposit onto your card dont require any identification, withdrawing neither. There are many more ways to get money without getting caught. If the guy is the least bit smart, he should be able to get away with it easily.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Unknown Government Using Advanced Hacking Spyware to Attack Russia and Saudi Arabia Web Hosting News 2014-11-24 11:51:22
UK National Crime Agency Arrests Hackers Using Remote Access Trojans Web Hosting News 2014-11-21 12:26:58
Syrian Electronic Army Targets Top US Media Websites in Outbrain Platform Hack Web Hosting News 2013-08-16 10:46:10
Windstream Business Launches McAfee Endpoint Security Protection for SMBs Web Hosting News 2013-01-18 14:35:52
McAfee Predicts Evolution of Security Threats in 2013 Report Web Hosting News 2012-12-27 15:19:04