How much server space do I need

I am a complete novice with regards to website development with (what I think is) a great concept and little cash flow. I do not want to be taken advantage of so I am hoping that this post will generate the necessary feed back that could assist me in developing my site.

The question is how much server space do I need to do the following functions:

-maintain a searchable database that the webpage users can search and post to.
    -have photographs and mp3 files attached to entries
    -forms for data entry & a separate form for data searches
    - an automatic reply e-mail conforming entries receipt
    -calender of events linked to database
    -geographic information system type location finder
    -topic forums
    -a "craig's list" type posting area.

Its a lot of stuff. Any advice?

the main thing that will take up space will be the mp3's
    the rest of the stuff wont use much room at all

i would start with someone basic plan say around 500 MBs then upgrade as you need to
    www.FinishHost.com | RVSiteBuilder
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Blog Hosting
    24/7 Support! | Cpanel | Fantastico | Domains

Dedicated Servers | ModernBill for Resellers

Thanks for the quick response.

What happens when I reach capacity? Does the site slow down or is an error message sent to the user?

Welcome to WHT!

Are you talking about getting a dedicated server, shared account, or reseller account? I would not recommend getting a dedicated server unless you are getting managed services included with it. As far as server space is required you will not really need that much space. You need to look at bandwidth here, this is going to be your issue. Reseller accounts generally come with more space and bandwidth, and in many cases managed.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

most places you can just upgrade your account, some may turn your site off until you do but most good companies will give you time to upgrade with out any downtime
    www.FinishHost.com | RVSiteBuilder
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Blog Hosting
    24/7 Support! | Cpanel | Fantastico | Domains

Dedicated Servers | ModernBill for Resellers

In most cases if you reach your space limit, your account will still be up but features may be unavailable such as email, etc. Bandwidth, if you go over your quota its likely your account will go into suspension if on a shared or reseller account. Dedicated servers will normally have overage fees linked in somewhere.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Start off relatively small (under a gigabyte), but make sure whichever host you choose offers a lot of flexability for upgrading your plan. There is no reason to get a lot of space at the beginning. Again, under a gig. should be fine for now.
    Updating signature...