Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Hey guys someone mentioned here you need to have 500 posts to have custom title name ? Is it for premium members only?
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !
      0 Not allowed!

Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by justadollarhostin
    I think their should be a way of speeding up this process.

Maybe a small fee to use an avatar, signature, custom user-title, etc..
    ❄️❄️❄️ HOSTBLIZZARD.COM --- 100% Canadian Hosting Provider ❄️❄️❄️
    • Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud Hosting • VPS Servers • Domain Names
    a division of Sheernox Technology Group
      0 Not allowed!

The link to the Sitepoint forums was interesting. It apparently costs $19.95 to post a web hosting ad there. While I will agree that any fee should be enough to weed out some of the garbage, there were still a lot of "$1 HOSTING OMG!!!!" posts over at Sitepoint. IMO, that means they aren't charging enough for ads.

The goal of pay-for-post should be to get rid of free advertising -- i.e. only have hosts advertise that can afford to pay for it. If WHT chooses to go this route, I would suggest tiered fees -- i.e. $30 for a shared hosting post; $50 for a VPS post; $100 for a dedicated server hosting post. Premium members could then get a discount on this price.

I am generally in favor of this idea.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Simpli-Erica
    The link to the Sitepoint forums was interesting. It apparently costs $19.95 to post a web hosting ad there. While I will agree that any fee should be enough to weed out some of the garbage, there were still a lot of "$1 HOSTING OMG!!!!" posts over at Sitepoint. IMO, that means they aren't charging enough for ads.

The goal of pay-for-post should be to get rid of free advertising -- i.e. only have hosts advertise that can afford to pay for it. If WHT chooses to go this route, I would suggest tiered fees -- i.e. $30 for a shared hosting post; $50 for a VPS post; $100 for a dedicated server hosting post. Premium members could then get a discount on this price.

I am generally in favor of this idea.
    A bit pricey but I like the idea.
    ❄️❄️❄️ HOSTBLIZZARD.COM --- 100% Canadian Hosting Provider ❄️❄️❄️
    • Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud Hosting • VPS Servers • Domain Names
    a division of Sheernox Technology Group
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with this, although the dedicated server pricing of $100 does seem rather high - although it is a fair rate considering the cost of servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Too pricey for shared hosting. $30 for a shared hosting....some people have a reseller that costs them $30. Having a reseller doesn't make them not a company, but a lot of people start out small and legit.

I mean, come on. The threads in the shared & resellers have <50 views. $30 for 50 views....you would have better results paying $30 for .10cents/click so 300 views.

Maybe $10 for shared hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy
    Aww.. AussieBob, you just want another place to put your smiling mug!
    When one is this handsome, one finds it hard to keep it to oneself.

WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Didn't you read the thread?
    Yep I had read it, but the answer was not clear to me.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L
    I mean, come on. The threads in the shared & resellers have <50 views. $30 for 50 views....you would have better results paying $30 for .10cents/click so 300 views.

Maybe $10 for shared hosting.
    What you are forgetting is that with fewer threads to choose from, your advertising thread is more likely to be viewed (and you shouldn't have to resort to ridiculous prices and gimmicks to get those thread views.) Overall, it will be a higher quality forum -- but I do feel that it needs to be more than Sitepoint's charge of $20 to be effective. That's why I picked $30.

If $30 gets you one client at $10/month, it's worthwhile. In fact, if I could guarantee a $10/mo. client by spending $30, I'd spend $3000 and take 100 new clients...right now, today, this minute. A lot of other companies would, too. $30 is, IMHO, the absolute lowest per-post cost WHT should charge.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!
      0 Not allowed!

What you are forgetting is that with fewer threads to choose from, your advertising thread is more likely to be viewed (and you shouldn't have to resort to ridiculous prices and gimmicks to get those thread views.) Overall, it will be a higher quality forum -- but I do feel that it needs to be more than Sitepoint's charge of $20 to be effective. That's why I picked $30.
    I agree. Weed out the kiddies with their rediculous offers. Force them to build their business somewhere else, if they don't want to pay to advertise in the WHT ad forums.
      0 Not allowed!

That's why I picked $30.
    Sounds great! So when can this come into effect? I've gained ~40 customers from 2 or 3 WHT posts, so $30 would be a great ROI. Much cheaper than Adwords, and cheaper than sticky posts. iNet has nothing to loose from this and the community as a whole has a lot to gain.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, who's going to implement these proposed changes to the ad forums?

Does anyone think it can be handled by someone from INET? Not likely, unless they've lifted their performance lately. They're not exactly known for their speedy and efficient customer service.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Ok, who's going to implement these proposed changes to the ad forums?

Does anyone think it can be handled by someone from INET? Not likely, unless they've lifted their performance lately. They're not exactly known for their speedy and efficient customer service.
    I think you're talking of the old iNET.

I see a lot more focus on customer service with the new structure.

There has been a lot for them to chew on from this thread. It'll probably take them a bit to sort it out. But, I'm sure that they'll come up with something that will work well for the majority of members.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

If $30 gets you one client at $10/month, it's worthwhile. In fact, if I could guarantee a $10/mo. client by spending $30, I'd spend $3000 and take 100 new clients...right now, today, this minute. A lot of other companies would, too. $30 is, IMHO, the absolute lowest per-post cost WHT should charge.
    I'll agree on that somewhat.

However the only thing that this does is hurts the people without alot of startup money. You have to start somewhere. Chances are that you don't start on a $300/month server and have an advertisement budget, etc. I think it just hurts the little people.

I don't run a hosting company (right now) or anything, just my view.

Then the other viewpoint is...Inet/WHT will get loads of cash for doing...little to nothing. They will at most have to pay a coder 1/10th of what they earn per day and then...that is it.

I just think that because WHT is the largest hosting forum (afaik) out there, that for them to do this would be a huge thing.

I honestly think the forums would go dead...only to maybe 5 people.

Right now there was 16 people yesterday that posted a thread in the shared&resller...23 two days ago.

IMO That is not a very large number.

Also....I think everyone on WHT should realize what percent of the traffic is "omfg I want a quad xeon for free for my clan" - You get the picture. I think WHT would lose traffic as a result. But most of us would probably say that's a good thing.

If we go that route then there would be no point in the once a week posting. Just who has more cash.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    I think you're talking of the old iNET.
    I hope you're right. INET was purchased by a Private Equity Group, and INET are considered an asset in a portfolio, so it remains to be be seen how involved the new owners will be.
      0 Not allowed!

I think the idea of allowing just premium members post offers is a good one.

I am glad the WHT community recongizes the kids on this board (and yes there is a LOT of them), and I find it interesting that we (the community) are trying to move the site in a more professional direction.

But honestly, is that what iNet wants? Less posters? Less banner views for advertisers? Less profit for iNet? For some reason, I don't think so. Heck even one of the community leaders promotes the childish games that goes on here.

In my opinion, the majority of people on WHT are kids. Cutting out the kids cuts out the banner views which means less $$$ for iNet. Less $$$ for iNet means a lower asset value. I'd be on the impression iNet wants a higher asset value. But who knows?

John
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by justadollarhostin
    Oh wonderful i got 550 posts lets see if i can change my custom title, would be nice to have a nicer custom title.

Edit : Yes it works .
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 03-18-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    I think the idea of allowing just premium members post offers is a good one.

I am glad the WHT community recongizes the kids on this board (and yes there is a LOT of them), and I find it interesting that we (the community) are trying to move the site in a more professional direction.

But honestly, is that what iNet wants? Less posters? Less banner views for advertisers? Less profit for iNet? For some reason, I don't think so. Heck even one of the community leaders promotes the childish games that goes on here.

In my opinion, the majority of people on WHT are kids. Cutting out the kids cuts out the banner views which means less $$$ for iNet. Less $$$ for iNet means a lower asset value. I'd be on the impression iNet wants a higher asset value. But who knows?

John
    Eh, I have no idea how much they make per day. I know they would get less banner, however if 5 people buy threads at $30 a pop then that's $150/day. I don't know if they would earn more money keeping the way it is, or change it.

Too bad stickies are bought out so far in advance.
      0 Not allowed!

The premium membership idea has never made any sense to me. And the majority of this thread just proves my point. Most responders to this thread simply want "perks" for their payment....and yes, some as silly as a way to "pay to break the rules".

I think you ALL have it backwards. I think there should be a selection process to become a premium member. Premium members should be vetted and recognized by their peers, and should be honored by their measure of contributions to the forums.

Aditionally, I don't see a "membership fee" being an issue. A membership fee could go to support a premium member's directory, where each person/company could maintain a profile of their business/service.

Furthermore the premium member's present bar should somehow link to their directory.

I just feel that premium members should be recognized by their contributions to the forums and to the industry. Being recognized as a premium member on how large you can make the check makes the whole idea of the "premium membership", well, cheap. Ironic, huh?
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    Premium members should be vetted and recognized by their peers, and should be honored by their measure of contributions to the forums.
    Thus promoting an ol' boys club.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    Thus promoting an ol' boys club.
    Right, premium members should earn their memberships, not simply buy them.

It reminds me of a fat rich kid that goes off to college. He doesn't have friends, so he buys his way into the crappy fraternity that will take anybody.

Those of us that do not purchase those premium memberships currently view you as "that fat rich kid that can't make friends any other way".
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    Right, premium members should earn their memberships, not simply buy them.

It reminds me of a fat rich kid that goes off to college. He doesn't have friends, so he buys his way into the crappy fraternity that will take anybody.

Those of us that do not purchase those premium memberships currently view you as "that fat rich kid that can't make friends any other way".

Reminds me more of public television - whereby financial supporters of a decent free service get a few token perks.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Reminds me more of public television - whereby financial supporters of a decent free service get a few token perks.

--Tina
    This board is heavily advertised via banners and stickies. I see it more like watching ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC.

I still fail to see the weight of the "premium" status, as the only value to the designation that you have contributed money to an already commercial website.

For a premium membership to actually mean anything IMHO, it seems that the whole business model would have to be reworked. This could distroy the delicate balance of the way things currently work around here.....
      0 Not allowed!

I feel requiring Premium to post advertisements is actually a decent idea.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast