Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    Walk away, take a breather, and then return to WHT. You seem to be way winded up over such an issue that may never be implemented, or far into the future.

Nobody is wound up about anything. Charging for classified advertising will distroy one of the most popular forums and portray WHT as money grubbers.

And I have a right to question the motives of those that suggest the idea? I personally love the idea. Who knows, the next big EV1 could have been started with just 1 simple free add here.

You remove free ads (which I don't use anyway) would distroy WHT.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    Nobody is wound up about anything. Charging for classified advertising will distroy one of the most popular forums and portray WHT as money grubbers.

And I have a right to question the motives of those that suggest the idea? I personally love the idea. Who knows, the next big EV1 could have been started with just 1 simple free add here.

I don't think it would distroy WHT, instead it would be better for WHT. I like the idea along as the charge is reasonable.
    Thoughts Weigh Heavy...Don't Get Drowned in the Weight of It All.
      0 Not allowed!

Charging for classified advertising will distroy one of the most popular forums and portray WHT as money grubbers.
    No. Charging for advertising will create more value for hosts who advertise there, and in return create monetary value for the WHT owners. There's that "free market economy" working again.
    Not a snowflake's chance in hell. Nope. Nada. Not a chance.

I hope WHT's new owners do remove the free ads, and implement a paid per post system. That would be a drastic improvement to WHT, and create a win win all around, expect for the freeloading hosts too cheap to pay for advertising.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

I'll be the first to tell you that if there was a $20/classified add that there would be no posting.
    I disagree with that. A small $20.00 fee to post an ad, would be the cheapest advertising money could buy.
    These people suggesting to charge for adds, are not actually the people that will purchase them.
    I'll purchase one now if it was available. A lot of hosts would, if we knew the forum was no longer infested with freeloader hosts and their low ball offers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    No. Charging for advertising will create more value for hosts who advertise there, and in return create monetary value for the WHT owners. There's that "free market economy" working again.

Not a snowflake's chance in hell. Nope. Nada. Not a chance.

I hope WHT's new owners do remove the free ads, and implement a paid per post system. That would be a drastic improvement to WHT, and create a win win all around, expect for the freeloading hosts too cheap to pay for advertising.
    Aussie Bob, just when I was thinking about proposing it, you said it.
    I am in complete agreement with you, and I do think as well pay-per-post in marketplace section would create way more value and better exposure to those who are serious about it.

EDIT: I think $20 is a little steep, but anywhere in the $5-10 range would already make a difference. I also think the advertising forums should also go through this process.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?
      0 Not allowed!

No... by imposing a fee it weeds out the crappy adverts and adverts that dont deserve to be there
    No, it'd weed out everything. Besides, again, that is off the topic of this thread.

That would be a drastic improvement to WHT, and create a win win all around, expect for the freeloading hosts too cheap to pay for advertising.
    And those that wouldn't make any sort of "profit" from it. Get real, charging "per post" is not an option. Charging to post in them (via "premium membership") may be, but charging on a per post basis is never going to be a worthwhile option in the market, as it is today, tomorrow, or in the future. You can not recoup on a $50 post, a $20 post, or anything of the like.

Charging to post won't make the market any better, it will only take the visitors somewhere else, where they're not charged to post.

Again, a pay per post system is not on the topic of this thread though. Requiring premium membership to post is as it's an idea to enhance the premium membership, which was asked for.

EDIT: I think $20 is a little steep, but anywhere in the $5-10 range would already make a difference.
    No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't do a thing to keep the freeloaders out. If you want to keep the "freeloaders" out like this, you have to do more than a $20 post, more like a $50 post.

Now, in reverse, if you charged a decent amount for premium membership, then, yes, that would actually do something, it would make a difference.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 03-22-2006 at 12:30 AM.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    No, it'd weed out everything.
    Yes it will weed out the freeloader hosts not willing to pay to post an ad.
    Besides, again, that is off the topic of this thread.
    This conversation has diverged into a few directions, all under the general umbrella of Premium accounts and such. Mods can split the thread if they see fit.
    . . . Get real, charging "per post" is not an option.
    Unless you own WHT, then it is a very viable option, that would get a lot of support from the WHT community.
    . . . charging on a per post basis is never going to be a worthwhile option in the market, as it is today, tomorrow, or in the future. You can not recoup on a $50 post, a $20 post, or anything of the like.
    I disagree. Advertising is not all about getting that instant return. I know that might shock some hosts, but that's the way it is. It's about creating awareness for your brand.
    Charging to post won't make the market any better, it will only take the visitors somewhere else, where they're not charged to post.
    Good, let them advertise for free somewhere else. No loss to WHT.
    Now, in reverse, if you charged a decent amount for premium membership, then, yes, that would actually do something, it would make a difference.
    Scrap the Premium Membership. It's been a flop from the get go, and that's something the new WHT owners have figured out for themselves.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't do a thing to keep the freeloaders out. If you want to keep the "freeloaders" out like this, you have to do more than a $20 post, more like a $50 post.

Freeloads will not pay any amount. Such is freeloaders' nature.

In the last couple of years it has become extremely difficult to conduct any kind of business in any of the marketplace forums. Primarily because it is getting out of control. I think charging per post would actually bring me back to using it once again.

One of key offerings of premium membership is that it gives private access to hidden forums, which those who conduct business in marketplace section might not need at all. There is more to advertising forums than "hosting related" business. There are advertising sales, web site sales, domain name sales, design sales, etc.

Charging per post would immediately provide higher exposure people deserve to get. Paying for it makes logical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    I disagree. Advertising is not all about getting that instant return. I know that might shock some hosts, but that's the way it is. It's about creating awareness for your brand....
    .... and communicating the message. (so suggests academic theory)

Best,
    Last edited by Artashes; 03-22-2006 at 12:42 AM.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?
      0 Not allowed!

Okay. I think we've given iNET enough to chew on for a bit.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Thread Closed.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678