Thread: Supermicro IPMI

Supermicro IPMI

I have a couple of supermicro servers (NO IPMI). I need to get a remote reboot switch, and I am debating whether to get the IPMI cards or an actual APC remote reboot.

I searched on Supermicro IPMI cards and there's been a couple of issues discussed although it seems to be user errors. Could you guys share your experiences with IPMI cards and how reliable they are when a reboot MUST be done and the server hangs?

Thanks

I have no first hand expeirence, but I am generally scared to death of any integrated card and Linux capability.

I would recommend the good, 'ole fashioned rebooter. Actually, highly recommend it. Figuring out Linux compability with hardware has probably consumed 10 years off of my life.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

I don't think it needs drivers. I think it connects via LAN kind of like a DRAC card. (Don't take my word for it, I haven't used it yet), but that is my current understanding. Does anyone else want to enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    I have no first hand expeirence, but I am generally scared to death of any integrated card and Linux capability.

I would recommend the good, 'ole fashioned rebooter. Actually, highly recommend it. Figuring out Linux compability with hardware has probably consumed 10 years off of my life.
    Agreed! Or, even better yet, get an apc remote power control unit and a KVM over IP unit and your' gold - never need to call for remote hands again!

I've got them in two of our servers. They're kind of finicky for remote console, but the remote reboot seems to be OK. I'd probably recommend them alongside a KVM/IP.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

I have 6 Supermicro's all have IPMI installed. For the price, roughly $60.00 each they are worth every penny VS a remote reboot switch for hundreds of dollars. Although I have rarely had to use them I sleep better knowing there installed and functional. You do have to flash them on install and they bind to one of two NIC via MAC address, so make sure you assign it to a live NIC.

Another nice feature is the ability to querry the supermicro doctor if installed and get real time status of your box ie. cpu temp, fan speeds, case temp etc..

Thumbs up in my book unless you have alot of servers and the remote reboot sticks are more cost effective.

For $60 a pop I have to agree with you. You can't go wrong with it. However, my biggest concern is this:
    Have you experienced the server crashing completely and not being able to reboot via IPMI?

I have a few supermicro's with IPMI's installed, and I'd say go with the remote reboot unless you REALLY need KVM access on all your machines. If not, get an 8 port remote reboot strip and if you need kvm occasionally grab a 1 port KVM over IP device (Avocent sells a nice one that I use).

Someone mentioned the IPMI's being cheaper? Uhh... not sure how you came to that conclusion, 60$*8 (480) is certainly more expensive than 1*350$... Yeah maybe after you add an IPKVM in (500$) it'd be more expensive, but in the long run you could use the IPKVM on more than 8 machines, and machines that arent supermicro.

In my opinion the IPMI's are just a pain in the ***. If I can remember correctly, I have had an experience or two where I had a machine crash / lock up and the IPMI reset command would not reset it, although it may have been in a funky situation (installing linux in a wierd way).
    Matt Mills
    Ceteranet Network Systems - www.ceteranet.com
    mmills@ceteranet.com

Quote Originally Posted by DevelopAl
    For $60 a pop I have to agree with you. You can't go wrong with it. However, my biggest concern is this:
    Have you experienced the server crashing completely and not being able to reboot via IPMI?
    I had a hardlock BSOD once and had no issues with a powerdown and reboot.

To f0urtyfive,
    Depends on your needs and your budget I guess. Most decent reboot strips cost more than that and also what if not all your servers are in one location? So there are many factors to consider. IPMI are cost effective alternitives to a situation. Since the majority of my machines are game servers I need only reboot them if they lock, which is rarely. If you hve a whole rack of boxes then yes a strip or KVM over IP would be another solution.

Yep, but I imagine your situation is more of the unique one than mine. Most providers that colocate would have the majority of their equipment in one location as to aggregate their bandwidth power and rackspace to buy in volume and save money. I'm sure their are plenty of situations where a IPMI card would work best (less than 5 or 6 servers in one location) but I imagine their are more situations where a remote power strip would be best.
    Matt Mills
    Ceteranet Network Systems - www.ceteranet.com
    mmills@ceteranet.com

I just saw this thread and will likely buy a few and test them on a rack or two to see if folks like it or not.

With my company, we use a roaming Avocent KVM/IP device and a 48-port remote reboot switch for our clients which works except that when a client wants KVM access, they need to request it - it's not as automated as we want it to be. That basically means there's a short delay between the time they request KVM access and the time we set it up. It doesn't cost any more than simply putting a tech on the floor and move a few cables around. But it's becoming one of those things you want to change because everytime you move the KVM cable to a new box, you are touching the server hardware in the back and we hate to touch anything unless we absolutely have to. With an IPMI solution, it's fixed, the cables are fixed and we can consider it a set-and-forget issue and no more walks for my team out there to do a little KVM move.

Ideally, the card should work independently of the OS regardless if you're running a nix variant or Windows. That will have to be the case if we will be giving it any considerable thought. Can anyone confirm if this is the case or not? We've been really looking for creative ways to move towards a solid on-demand reboot/console access that the client can't 'break'. Hopefully this card will bring some success in that area.
    Last edited by thecloudguy; 03-09-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Yes the card works independantly from the OS. As I beleive I mentioned you have to create a boot disk and flash the IPMI which basically binds to a MAC address of the NIC. There is a IPMI agent you can see running in the processes but that is for the trap if you so wish to set it up. It runs independant and is accessed through out of range bandwidth on the NIC. I have not used the on a NIX system but since it flashes it should not be any different in functionality.

More info here.> http://developer.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/spec.htm

Well, there is sort of an OS dependence there. The remote console depends on the OS outputing to the proper serial port. The big issue with that is that the login isn't really persistant, it's really just another method for SSH'ing in. What I like about DRAC and KVM/IP is that the session is persistent, so you can leave it logged in and potentially get in some commands on systems that are bogged down, but not totally locked out.

Realistically, I just want some sort of generic DRAC card! They're pretty nice cards with remove graphical console, power control, and virtual media. Plus, it's all hidden away inside the box. I just wish Raritan's Z-CIM's did power control. Sure they're a big more expensive, but they're truely independant of the hardware, so there's no single point of failure.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

"Yes the card works independantly from the OS. "

So does it SSH into the server or can you login via windows with a graphical interface? We need true KVM - if the OS takes a dump and won't even load, we need the customer to be able to login and see that and reboot and see it again et al. Sounds like it's only OS-dependent text re-direction which I doubt would work with Windows...

Am I completely off base here or close to the mark?
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

You login to the IPMI card period. It can and does querry info from windows or whatever OS and programs are running but it is independent. If the box was hard locked blue screen you can actually power the box off then power it back on or cycle the power whatever you choose.

So one of its functions it to act like a remote reboot/power cycle switch.