Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617
    I'm sure you can find more information on their forums.

Tiffany

http://status.mosso.com/

This should pretty much say it all . There are issues quite often on their clusters. Is there any reason why you are specifically looking at Mosso, what needs do you have?
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

I'm currently developing a web application and would like to spend the necessary money to have a sound infrastructure in place before it is needed. Right now my general idea is I'll need:

3 NLB web servers
    3 Clustered DB servers
    2 DNS servers
    2 (clustered?) Mail servers
    2 (clustered?) File Servers
    2 (clustered?) image servers
    2 hardware firewall
    2 hardware spam filter
    2 switches

Basically, we want to create our application on hardware that can grow with our needs and would prefer to put down cash to start off with the proper infrastructure realizing that it might even be a few years before it is all utilized. It's just easier to code for scaling than to code oing from shared hosting > vps > dedicated box > colocation.

Questions I currently am researching:

1) Should I be looking at MS or OSS technologies? (Previous experience with MS coding and server admin so leaning towards ASP.Net 3.5 / SQL 2008, but am open to learning new things).

2) Should I go with our own co-located hardware or is there managed hardware that is stable and a reasonable cost.

3) How hard would it be to create a control panel that integrates the various aspects or is there an existing one we utilize that has an API available so it can be completely customized for our needs.

So in short, the reason I am looking at Mosso is that it could provide a lot of what we're looking for and let us concentrate on creating our application. Perhaps Mosso is something we can look at then while we create our prototype, though we currently have a dedicated server and were looking at trying to run the above in VPS' then purchasing hardware when nearing launch.

So that's why I'm looking at Mosso. If anyone has any other suggestions for hosting they would be appreicated. As I said, I'm currently exploring all options.

You have to be very careful of products like Mosso, as the marketing looks good, but as you've seen the real-life experiences seem to fall short of the marketing promises.

As it appears you are looking for a distributed setup, the single best thing you can do is work with an individual or company that can put together a solution for you - someone who has the knowledge and experience to do this. For what you're after, you're not going to find the answers from a few forum posts. A system engineer would be able to help recommend if either a dedicated cluster or co-located hardware is best for your financial plan.

Kind Regards,

FYI Here's some questions a sales person has answered for me:

Hello, I'm interested in your service and have a few questions I couldn't find anwswered on your page, Could you please let me know the answers? Thanks!

1) MS SQL Database Questions:

- Will you support MS SQL 2008 when released?
    Yes

- Is there options to set up the database caching settings?
    No

- Are jobs allowed to be scheduled daily/monthly/etc?
    Yes

- Are stored procedures allowed?
    Yes

- Is full text search supported?
    Yes

- Is there a limits on the # of tables / stored procedures or any other limitations?
    This question is too broad – How many tables/Stored procedures do you require? There is not a set limitation, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there couldn’t be….

- Does the user have root access to each of their own databases?
    You are assigned dbo role.

- Is it possible to create multiple databases within the 100mb or would it require a 100mb/$5 account for each database?
    It is possible, just make sure you speak with support via chat or phone before you set up the domain so that you’re sure it’s done how you like it – it’s simple, but not completely apparent.

- What hardware do the database servers run on?
    That’s proprietary, but unnecessary – you have more resources (RAM, proc, etc…) than you can use.

- What is the connection speed between the database servers and web servers?
    We do not offer this information – it varies by cluster and load; and the process, coding and scripting.

2) Windows Questions

- How do you switch to running application pools in 64 bit instead of 32?
    You can’t.

- How many application pools are you allowed? ie Can I setup an application pool for each domain?
    Yes

- Can I install any backup software I need to do regularly scheduled backups or is there some included?
    We include 3 days worth of backup – anything more you need to do locally – with whatever application you like….

3) E-mail Questions

- Is there a limit on mailboxes?
    No

- How is it setup / How does it work?
    Via the Control panel/simply creating the mail user.

- Is there a size limit on mailboxes?
    1GB, though you can get that lifted.

- Is there a total size limit or does it fall under the total 50gb of space?
    Not counted/no limit

- Can it be branded?
    No

4) Domain Questions

- When billing clients with Canadian credit cards (Visa/MA/Amex) will this be an issue? We've had issues with this in the past that even though the credit card is valid and there is room, it is denied by the billing software either Modern bill or others.
    Possibly – it’s the zip codes more often than not and can usually be corrected if we know about it…. You’ll know when you sign up if it will be an issue or not….

- Are they easy to transfer?
    Very.

- How much are they?
    $10 per year in addition to whatever time you have already paid for.

- What TLD's are supported?
    Most

- Do we get a % of purchase cost if our customers purchase through you?
    Not sure I understand the question, can you add some definition?

5) General Questions

- Is there an API to programmatically add DNS information, accounts, webmail etc?
    No.

- Is there the ability to customize the portal with my company's branding for our own customers?
    No, the customers portal is white label/generic

- Is legal adult content allowed?
    Now

- How does the SSL certificates work?
    With a dedicated SSL cert via the CP

- Do you have any performance metrics or comparisons to speed / costs of running our own server?
    No, it varies by solution

- What backups are needed / suggested?
    It’s always best to back up locally, but Mosso backs up the entire system every 12 hours, and you have access to that data/content for 3 days

- Does the new file system support redundancy for files?
    Can you redefine this question?

- Is there a technical list of what you allow / disallow compared to running our own server
    No, it would never be complete….

So.... Mosso hey?
    I was poised to sign up with them to provide hosting for the company I work for. Now, I'm not so sure.
    It seems that they are heading in the right direction. The question is, have they gone in that direction enough at this time?
    And will I experience these email and site performance issues that seem to be prevalent?
    It would be great to hear some up to date experiences about Mosso.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617