Thread: Don't use UPS!

Smile Don't use UPS!

If you are a Canadian buying things shipped from the U.S!

I've bought a couple things and they were shipped from the U.S by UPS Ground. One of the items was only $50 and they charged me $50 for brokage fee and other handling stuff! I already paid for $30 for shipping already, so totally I paid over $80 for shipping for just a standard ground delivery. It took them 7 days to deliver.

This seems to happen to every Canadian according to the search results I got from the NET. I don't know if this happens for shipments from Canada to U.S.

Always use USPS. I want to try Fedex Standard, but I don't know if they have that outragoues brokage fee or not.

Please let me know if you have bought things from the U.S. and shipped to Canada by Fedex

Fedex does not have brokerage charges. Only UPS does.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

I bought a hard drive from a seller at ebay. I put it in and it just clicked.
    The seller emailed me a return slip that was prepaid. I took it to the UPS store here in the States and asked the guy "Do I need to fill anything out?" He replied..."Not if it's prepaid"
    I shrugged and figured they knew what they were doing and left.
    As soon as I got gone, the kid went in the back room and stole what he thought was a working hard drive.
    I complained for 2 months for the seller (I lost no $)...
    You actually have to stand there and witness the item being scanned into their system...otherwise, it never happened according to UPS
    Never again
    With more success comes more expense!

For within the States I've always considered UPS ok for things that aren't really breakable. For electronics, camera lenses, etc though FedEx is the only one I trust.

UPS normally works fine for me, but I prefer FedEx too.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Nevvverrrrrr use UPS for US -> Canada

USPS and Fedex are fine. Borderfree is also nifty.

I learnt that.
    I paid my brokerage fees, and a month later received a letter from a collections agency saying I owe UPS another $35.

That made a total of $60 shipping for a $60 pair of pants.
    --

Yeah, I am afraid of UPS but FedEx worked nicely for my mousepad from the States so i'll hopefully just stick with that route.

A few years back I had a package sent from the US to Australia via UPS. I arrived close to destroyed, 'fixed' with tape, and the contents broken.

They're a shocker.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Both UPS and Fedex provide inhouse customs clearing services. Make sure you aren't confusing brokerage charges with taxes levied by customs dept. You can see UPS brokerage rates for USA>Canada at http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html . Some of the "brokerage rates" cited in this thread suggest to me that they are not just brokerage fees - they probably include the customs tax you need to pay on the delivery.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of UPS. Whenever I receive from the US, if I have a say in it, I always go Fedex. When sending to the US, I use either Fedex or Canpar (who end up handing off to Fedex at the border anyways).

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials