hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Using TinyDNS with two IPs?

Forum Jump

Using TinyDNS with two IPs?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Web Hosting Master

Using TinyDNS with two IPs?

I'm setting up a dedicated box, and am working on getting DNS going. I've installed TinyDNS, but it seems to only want to bind to one IP, but you need at least 2 to get a domain to accept it. (The author makes a good point that redundant DNS servers are pointless if you only have one server... I agree, but this doesn't help me any.)

Also, does anyone have pointers to a truly good link on how DNS works? I know parts of it very well, but some parts still confuse me. (How can ns1.something.com be the nameserver for something.com--isn't that a catch 22?)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Junior Guru

theres a patch for djbdns that can bind tinydns on two ips.
Or you can create two tinydns instances and run them with the same data dir.

As for your second question. The ip for ns1.something.com its kept in the root nameservers.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Web Hosting Master

You should be able to run a second tinydns instance trivially. But if they're on the same server, doesn't tinydns bind to everything?

There's lots out there on tinydns, including answers to this question. http://djbdns.faqts.com is a good starting place (check out the links and tutorials there), but also check out http://tinydns.org.

You've understood the catch22 in ns1.something.com being a nameserver.com - it *is* a catch22. The way you can do is to register a "child nameserver" with the registrar that registered something.com. The TLD roots then return the IP for ns1.something.com when someone asks for the delegation (returning it as what's known as "glue").

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

If you are not running dnscache on UDP port 53, you can make TinyDNS run on all ports by setting the bind address to 0.0.0.0:

echo -n 0.0.0.0 > /etc/tinydns/env/IP

If you need to run both tinydns and dnscache, you're going to have to run multiple instances. To make them serve the same information, just make both tinydns daemons use the same "root" directory (via a symlink).

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted