Pay for hosting.....but is it good?

My friend who used to give me free hosting has told me that his favour has expired, and he wants me to pay him £5 per month

hes giving me webmail, mysql, 200mb bandwidth.

do you think he should give me cPanel for the price i am paying?

or is it a reasonable deal that i am paying for.

Im not so sure, that works out at £60 per year, and i recieve very little.

I could get better hosting at streamlinenet, the power package for £32 a year.

Should i move or not?

£5 per month, you can get 10GB bandwidth or more with a good provider. I would go away from him.

Mikey,

Has the hosting he's been providing good?
    If so stick with him afterall he's given you free hosting for quite some time without asking for anything in return.

Now about cPanel and whatnot: It's only affordable for him if he has a lot of other folks on the server. Think of it this way -- cpanel would cost a minimum of 25-30 dollars US per month per server.

return the favour!

Is 200mb diskspace or bandwidth? You said it's bandwidth and if so that's WAY WAY too little for £5 per month. 200mb/month is about 6.7mb/day, you sure your website can live on that?
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    Is 200mb diskspace or bandwidth? You said it's bandwidth and if so that's WAY WAY too little for £5 per month. 200mb/month is about 6.7mb/day, you sure your website can live on that?
    Ocean,

As he seems to have been for quite some time, I'm sure he'll do quite fine!

Converting 5 pounds sterling into USD: $8.72

You can get a much better specs for that price, if he is reliable and you think you have the right ammount of resource with him then pay the fiver, but if you're needing more for your money then go with another host their are plenty of US host out their that will host you for that price with higher resource span, and with an exellent quality of service & support.

Cpanel costs $25 alone

I'm hoping he mixed up bandwidth and space.

Tell your friend..?? that your frinedship contract just ended and if he wishes to carry it on he must give you at least 500mb freespace..!!
    Cheeky bugger....
    Filefeed.net - Image Hosting -

Cheap skates

Quote Originally Posted by killapix
    Tell your friend..?? that your frinedship contract just ended and if he wishes to carry it on he must give you at least 500mb freespace..!!
    Cheeky bugger....
    And he should tell you, you can't make money off of cheap skates! And if frendship is that cheap, who wants a cheap skate for a friend. Does he do like everyone else who sales space for 5.00 or less a month over sale his services?

Hard to say. If you are managing fine within the limits the friend gives you, and uptime + service are top-notch, then why move?

But if you feel the b/w is too tight, and maybe your friend's support is sluggish, then I suggest you look around for a well-reputed hosting company.

I am not familiar with streamlinenet, my advice is for you to check what their present customers have to say before deciding.

Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Depends, if you like your friend hosting you then pay it, although it is quite expensive, you might upset him if you don't. Or just say that you have outgrown what he gives you and that you need to move.

Thats an obscene price. He cant be a very good friend if he is charging you lots and lots for pitaful amounts. I suggest you ask him if you can continue your free hosting in return for putting some ads for his site on yours?

This way your helping your friend out and getting free hosting still.

Depends, if you like your friend hosting you then pay it, although it is quite expensive, you might upset him if you don't. Or just say that you have outgrown what he gives you and that you need to move.

Honestly speaking, 200 mb bandwidth is a mere joke.

But if you have been using this for quite some time, then stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1090
    Im not so sure, that works out at £60 per year, and i recieve very little.
    £60 a year is nothing, I spend more than that on a night out. Has your friend been giving you good service? How long has he been hosting you free? If he has been hosting you for years, then I think it's a little cheeky to suddenly leave because he is going to charge you £60/year, you obviously never complained when you were hosted for free.

Quote Originally Posted by anythinghosts
    He cant be a very good friend if he is charging you lots and lots for pitaful amounts.
    He's been giving him free hosting, does that also make the OP a bad friend for not paying anything at all when the OP's friend was covering the cost?

you could go anywhere else just about and pay less and get more.
    Kristi The Hosting Zone
    Lowest prices and most benefits. see for yourself.
    http://www.thehostingzone.net