A 1,000-processor computer for $100K?

Hey, that's supercomputing power! And it uses very little power!

Start saving now or use your home equity or get a second mortgage..

If they come out with that computer system in the near future, it's going to be a big seller.

Definitely looks interesting. It is always nice to hear about a possible major advance in the processor technology arena. We used to play with FPGAs in college for my Electrical Engineering program. Fun stuff.
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

I wouldnt mind owning a super computer

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps
    I wouldnt mind owning a super computer
    What's considered a supercomputer nowadays might be desktop or laptop power in 5 or 10 years.

I don't know what I'd do with it. This budget workstation is already adequate for everything I do.

Dang now you really could offer unlimited hosting.... jk

But seriously, I wonder how many average clients you could host on that machine.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

There's likely a lot of performance wasted from OS overhead. It'd be difficult to say how many clients you could put on it much less afford the power bill.

Quote Originally Posted by adorno
    What's considered a supercomputer nowadays might be desktop or laptop power in 5 or 10 years.
    yep thats true....

you already have desktops that can come with sli graphics :-s wonder where we will be graphics wise in the next 10 years :-s (didnt mean to change the topic but it wouldnt be interesting wouldnt it.)

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    I don't know what I'd do with it. This budget workstation is already adequate for everything I do.
    People used to say the same thing every time a 'newest' and more powerful generation of computer came out. But, everytime a new more powerful computer comes out, O/S and software designers will create new more powerful software systems and programs that in many cases tap out the new more powerful system.

It's happened before and it will continue. The more powerful the system, the more powerful the applications that are made for the computer.

People used to say the same thing every time a 'newest' and more powerful generation of computer came out. But, everytime a new more powerful computer comes out, O/S and software designers will create new more powerful software systems and programs that in many cases tap out the new more powerful system.

It's happened before and it will continue. The more powerful the system, the more powerful the applications that are made for the computer.
    does anyone know if it will actually ever stop

Thats a bit crazy.

So? I sell those on ebay for half the price

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico
    So? I sell those on ebay for half the price
    Link me to the eBay listing.

I've got the cash right now!

I've got the cash right now!
    I don't think cash and eBay mix very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    I don't think cash and eBay mix very well.
    All forms of payment represent a monetary value which eventually ends up in somebody's bank account or credit account or in their hands as "cash". But, I'd still like to see the eBay link to the computer being sold by Serpico.

Hey, that's supercomputing power! And it uses very little power!

Start saving now or use your home equity or get a second mortgage..

If they come out with that computer system in the near future, it's going to be a big seller.
    Not interested. I've invented a single CPU that in itself has the power of those 1,000 processors..... and a quad cpu motherboard for it

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude
    Not interested. I've invented a single CPU that in itself has the power of those 1,000 processors..... and a quad cpu motherboard for it
    One processor?

That's the old days of computing!

What happens if it goes down?

I think I prefer the massively parallel, fault-tolerance of a multiple processor system. If one processor goes down, the others are still running and the workload of the downed processor could be transferred to one of the others. That transferring capability would also make the system non-stop. With each processor running it's own O/S and multiple tasks independently and in partnership where necessary, you're truly talking about humongous supercomputing.

But, then, you mention a quad-cpu motherboard which implies 4 processors. You're still talking about a multiprocessor system. I think the 1000 cpu system would still be better at load balancing for tasks.

Sorry, one processor is not the "old days" of computing, multicore chips with thread-level parallelism are quite the hot commodity right now:

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000333
    http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000292
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBison
    Sorry, one processor is not the "old days" of computing, multicore chips with thread-level parallelism are quite the hot commodity right now:

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000333
    http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000292
    No doubt you can produce a single multi-core processor with more power than most people or companies might demand. And, there are several architectures that can do that.

But, the question is, what happens when one of those super-duper multi-core cpus goes down? Do you lose all of that nice computing power until it's fixed or replaced? Isn't it like risking all your eggs but putting them into one basket?

Look up "HP non-stop" to see an example of a massively parallel/multi-processor with huge multi-tasking, fault-tolerant features. And, the HP non-stop computers use either CISC (Itanium 2) or RISC (Motorola) processors. And, those systems can go 20 years without the need to stop for maintenance. You can remove/replace a processor or a hard drive or upgrade software, as an example, and the rest of the system continues running without having to stop it.

I would still prefer a system with many processors rather than a system with huge computing power on a single multi-core processor.

BTW, the Sun servers (as mentioned in sites in your links) are not selling that hot lately. Other servers from HP, IBM and others are doing better.

Better start saving up those pennies now boys, they say it should be ready by mid-year 2007. I wonder if you could modify the system to run a 5,000 player battlefield 2 server.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by schmeg007
    Better start saving up those pennies now boys, they say it should be ready by mid-year 2007. I wonder if you could modify the system to run a 5,000 player battlefield 2 server.
    5,000 people, good grief, think of Wake Island 2007, with 5k people!!!!