new 2 servers - hardware specs help pls (asap)

Hi

My company wants to go SSL for it's website (for the secure areas) so needs a dedicated server. This is new territory for me as I know nothing on server requirments, but I'm their best/closest thing to being techie. Our current web server host has put forward a hardware spec that's got discrepancies in it when I've discussed it with my desk top supplier (states 64bit when it's 32 bit, uses desktop specs for cpu and memory etc).

So I want to put together a server that will be reliable, have expandability with it as the site increases its usefulness and usage, have constant back up of all data to reduce loss of data and downtime, that can handle 2003 server with .net (I think this is the OS system I'd prefer to have), that I may also be able to use the setup as a mail server in the future (is it possible to have web and mail servers combined or best separate??), initially I'd think 2 x 80GB hard drives will be fine.

I've searched a lot in this forum and cannot get a clear idea on what's good etc. since everyones requirements differ. I've picked up that I should get 1GB of ECC memory minimum but I'm unsure of motherboard, cpu's, raid, scsi etc. Plus if I go for a 1RU, am I restricting myself for future hardware upgrade/expansion - should I go for 2RU size

The server needs to perform the following tasks (sorry if my terms are basic):

1 - web site front door (homepage), multiple links to other parts of the site (uses Java I believe) and including a log in
    2 - log in allows clients and staff access to secure areas including clients accounts, client database, pay systems and other dbase related systems - ms access is/seems to be our webservers choice in building/designing these programs/systems for us - quite simple and basic.
    3 - the secure area is split into multiple areas dependant on login user and their login details and access rights. This will grow as more systems are required.

I think that covers it and I hope I've given enough details for you to make some suggestions. I'd also like to point out that we're not looking for another host at the moment and due to location (Far East), model numbers you may specify probably aren't available to me here so please refer if possible to the basic spec of a model number that I can assimilate with here.

Thanks in advance, Liam

ps - any help and advice on any server matter you can think of in reading the above will be much appreciated be it reference to beginners guides for people who understand abc, not x= 2y/5mu or links that will put me on the right path.

pps - am I best going with an IBM or Dell stock model?
    Last edited by juliam1; 02-23-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Forgot to add, work on 500 hits per week (clients, prospects, employees)

To support SSL you only need to have a dedicated IP address not an entire dedicated server.

I would not recommend a 1U server since it is limited for future expansions and typically ends up being close to the same cost of a 2U server.

Dell and IBM both make decent server based products which may be where you would want to start espeically if you have an existing working relationship with either company.

Cheers!

Dan

I'd take IBM over dell, just better quality IMO. Since you are starting out, it may be better to go with a VPS or a cheap dedicated instead of going straight to co-location and worrying about the hardware.

If you want to co-lo, these guys are some of the best server providers who can answer any questions you may have.
    http://apaqdigital.com/
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Hi guys

Thanks for the quick response. Looked at the IBM x346. Now just got to sell the price plus the software license on top of the web providers over the top costs to my bosses.

Any other help appreciated and thanks again, Liam