hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Would you buy .net of your .com domain?

Forum Jump

Would you buy .net of your .com domain?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Would you buy .net of your .com domain?

I have noticed that WHT owns a .net version of their domain name.

Question.
If you have your business (web, company, store...)
Would you buy both .com & .net versions of domain name?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Community Liaison

yes.

it gives you the flexibility of expanding and offering something on the .net too.

some people use the .net for nameservers, or a support site (on a different server).

Old 02-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Junior Guru

I would purchase both versions if they are available. It also protects brands/trademarks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Security Ninja

Of course, you have to protect your brand. I would also get similiar spelling combinations too.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Disabled

Maybe I'm a fool, but I also purchased the .net, .org, .info, .us, and .biz, too

Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 AM
WHT Addict

Yes, I would..and like PE-Steve, I would buy others as well..

Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Older than the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE-Steve
Maybe I'm a fool, but I also purchased the .net, .org, .info, .us, and .biz, too
That's not foolish. That's the very least you should do.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

If you are launching on a serious web commerce or expect that you domain name is quite promising as a brand, it's a must to buy available extensions to prevent stealing of your brand idea or competitors' tricks to baffle your clients.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Buying both .net and .com makes sense. You could even go with even more gTLDs if you're ambitious.

Also, like Pat H suggested, registering different spelling variations of your domain name is a good thing to do. You'll be easier to find, and the dyslexics of the world will be thanking you.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Multimedia Messenger #McLuhan

Yes, if it is a computer/Internet related website; but then a few dollars shoudn't be a problem if you are running a BUSINESS.

Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism in his #multimedia portfolio. His early works include an experimental adaptation of Chekhov’s Cherry Orchard inspired at least partly by Robert Fripp. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:33 AM

to not grab the other extensions of a domain you are serious about is a mistake.

cheap price to pay for added security and value.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

yep, its to secure your invesment in name or a brand, i wouldnt want a competitor to open a shop selling the samething next door or across the street. same kind of thing.

i tend to be creative with my domains, and i only really get the main extensions, for me most important are .com, .net, .co.uk because im based in the UK and those are the biggest extensions. but at the end of the day, if you want to protect your brand(s) get a trademark i have one at the moment, this will give assets to your company and brand protection.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Ah cmon, anyone can steal your ideas on internet, if you register 500 names or just 2. I dont see how can registering all possible variations of some domain protect your brand. If someone really wants, its always possible to create new similar sounding name or to register some other tld. For example, someone can register country tld as a resident in that country and you are not allowed to do so. Only solution to this is global trademark which is very expensive.

I someone can enlighten me in what way registering 50 name variations is good for your brand or idea, please do so, i would appreciate it.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64738
Ah cmon, anyone can steal your ideas on internet, if you register 500 names or just 2. I dont see how can registering all possible variations of some domain protect your brand. If someone really wants, its always possible to create new similar sounding name or to register some other tld. For example, someone can register country tld as a resident in that country and you are not allowed to do so. Only solution to this is global trademark which is very expensive.

I someone can enlighten me in what way registering 50 name variations is good for your brand or idea, please do so, i would appreciate it.
Nobody says it's going to be 100% protection from stealing such an idea. I think that people are talking here about some relative insurance. It's better to do something than not to do anything at all.
The more so, it doesn't require too many resources and thus, it's worth some time and money.
I personally didn't do anything like this for my sites. Because I consider that my domain names are not so unique and precious. What I focus my attention on is site's content's quality. But if I have a site project with such a domain name one day, I'll undertake such relative protective measures.

file hosting service.
Your data route

Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64738

One reason to register several variations of the same domain name is very simple: You want to catch the people who might spell it differently, or misspell it.

For example: color vs colour, gray vs grey, etc. So if you have a domain called graycolor.com, you might want to consider also getting greycolor.com, greycolour.com, and graycolour.com.

There are lots of people who can't spell to save their lives, so if your domain name is hard to spell, like for example excellent.com, you might want to register exellent.com as well.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - February 7, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-02-07 17:52:16
Nigeria Internet Registration Association Offers Free ccTLDs to Encourage .ng Domain Adoption Web Hosting News 2014-01-02 14:46:24
Office 365 Integrates GoDaddy Domain Name Registration Web Hosting News 2013-10-09 13:18:05
123-reg Launches Domain Reselling Service on Global Domain Marketplace Web Hosting News 2013-06-19 14:48:10
Nominet Temporarily Forced to Ditch Plans for Shorter .UK Domains Web Hosting News 2013-03-18 10:19:10