hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Cell Phones....tracing withheld number...

Forum Jump

Cell Phones....tracing withheld number...

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Web Hosting Master

Cell Phones....tracing withheld number...

Here's the story. Today I've been receiving phone calls like crazy, all of which are listed as 'withheld' on my phone. I'm receiving these calls every 10 minutes or so and have no idea who it is. When I pick up, it's the same thing everytime..sounds like a fast recording of a harmonica or something..and then it stops and then it restarts and then it hangs up...every time. I tried to log in to my cingular account online to see if it would list it there, but the my account section is currently down.
What's best course of action here? I had to turn off my phone because it woke me up a couple of times.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Web Hosting Master

Your cell phone company should be able to do a trace and block the number(s) calling you.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Web Hosting Master

I would love to call them, but of course it's after hours :-)

What I'd really like to do is find out who the hell it is, and give them a good talking to (or at least find out if I know the person..and what exactly I did to upset them)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 02:43 AM
Web Hosting Master

In the meantime, if you turn off your phone do these calls leave voicemail messages, or do they disconnect before recording?

Old 02-19-2006, 02:50 AM
Web Hosting Master

Cingular offers support after hours, just need to get the right number.

Regards,
Anthony B.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

I'm not sure if this is doable or not, but try logging into your cell phone account online if possible and check your current billing status

Old 02-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Web Hosting Master

First post said that I tried that but the my account feature was not working at the time. Gonna try it again today.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:32 PM

just let the guy try the trick till he gets bored with it

Old 02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

Where's the fun in that though? I'm a big fan of confrontation. It doesn't have to be physical, but I would like to know who they are and why they're calling me (it's probably one of my friends...I just want to know who). I turned my phone off and received 8 calls overnight from the same thing. No voicemails were left and the phone calls aren't showing up in my account on cingular.
Very frustrating.

Edit: Found out that phone calls can take up to 48 hours to show up in my account on cingular......

Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Standard Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnband
(or at least find out if I know the person..and what exactly I did to upset them)
Most of the time people do it for fun. When he/she calls again, just say 'Please note that all calls are charged at $3/Per minute. Or $9/Per minute from mobiles' I did that once.. sounds stupid but it worked.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology the harrassment is probably automated.

That reminds me, Kvnband, have you already considered and ruled out the possibility that the noise is a modem tone?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

I know it's not a modem tone. For one, it doesn't sound like it. Secondly, if I pick up the phone and say nothing, nothing happens..it just hangs up on me, so IK know there is a person on the other end somewhere.
Kevin

Old 02-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Web Hosting Master

Some questions:

-Is it still happening? If yes, next question.

-Does your phone have call forwarding? If yes, next question.

-When your phone forwards, does the number that gets forwarded show up on the caller id of the phone you forward the call TO? You may have to test this part. If the number that shows up on the phone you forward the call to is YOUR number, your answer is no. If yes, next question.

-Is it worth some money to find out who it is? If yes, read on.

If you answered yes to all of the questions above, it will cost you a little bit of money, but I could explain to you a scenario where you would have a great chance of finding the number. But in order to have that chance, you need an active call to come in... it will not trace past calls, but will try to identify current incoming calls.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

The last time it happened was 3:45 this morning. I haven't received any since then. If it continues to happen, then I will be doing something about it. My new phone (coming in tomorrow) does have call forwarding (built into the phone) so if it continues happening, I may have to test out what you've put. Also going to check my cingular account online and see if maybe, just maybe it shows up there.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Web Hosting Master

if the number is not showing up on your phone, its not going to show up on your bill... if it does i would be suprised.

Secondly, if your phone forwards the number of the incoming call to the second phone, then it will work. Like I said above...

BUT

There is more steps than i am listing here. It wont works just by forwarding a call to another phone... there is something in the middle of that.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
London Teen Charged in Connection with Massive Spamhaus DDoS Attacks Web Hosting News 2014-06-30 12:45:23
HP and Foxconn Partner on New Server Line to Reinvigorate Interest from Cloud Service Providers Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 14:39:58
Microsoft Will Use Fuel Cells to Create Self-Powered Racks Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 11:14:46
The Growth of Mobile in India with Google’s Kartik Taneja Web Hosting News 2013-10-17 11:40:52
Siter Launches cPanel Plugin for Domain Dialing Web Hosting News 2013-08-20 16:15:40