Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Is this a certain thing or is it still being decided?

Registrars already have very low Margins. The competetiveness in the industry stops anyone from having a decent margin.

I do not personally understand how Verisign can justify the amount that they take for each registration at the moment. Right now they take more than $6, yet they don't even offer support for the domains. If I am correct all support issues come down to the registrars and Versign simply hold the database.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Behr
    Registrars already have very low Margins. The competetiveness in the industry stops anyone from having a decent margin.

I do not personally understand how Verisign can justify the amount that they take for each registration at the moment. Right now they take more than $6, yet they don't even offer support for the domains. If I am correct all support issues come down to the registrars and Versign simply hold the database.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Your first statement only applies to Registrars who compete strictly on price. Many Registrar's have very good margins. We don't all compete for loss-leader volume.

Verisign does not take more than $6.00. Their fee is currently capped at $6.00/year. Verisign is a Registry and provides support to Registrars not Registrants (domain holders). If anyone has had the need to deal with a Registry, they would find that Verisign is the best. The complexity of running a Registry is far beyond simply holding a database. Especially for the .com namespace and the most important root in the world.

-Tom
    Thomas.chaffin@qtsdatacenters.com
    312-877-0453 (m) alt: 630-456-6948 (m)
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Stargate.com
    Your first statement only applies to Registrars who compete strictly on price. Many Registrar's have very good margins. We don't all compete for loss-leader volume.

Verisign does not take more than $6.00. Their fee is currently capped at $6.00/year. Verisign is a Registry and provides support to Registrars not Registrants (domain holders). If anyone has had the need to deal with a Registry, they would find that Verisign is the best. The complexity of running a Registry is far beyond simply holding a database. Especially for the .com namespace and the most important root in the world.

-Tom
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Would you be able to tell us a bit more in depth as to what Verisign exactly do?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Behr
    Would you be able to tell us a bit more in depth as to what Verisign exactly do?
    Verisign is the registry for .com and .net and is doing what all registries are supposed to do. Including, but not limited to: maintaining the most important root DNS in the world; all databases; all acoounting; all support for registrars.

That costs ALOT of $$$, trust me.

According to Stratton Sclavos (chairman and CEO of VeriSign), VeriSign currently handles more than 15 billion daily DNS queries for the .com registry alone. I hope you *can* imagine this number - and this is the only one example...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Ok, I see.

15 billion daily queries is one hell of a lot. It does seem to put that $6 figure into context.

the post office routes, transfers and physically delivers over 2 billion pieces of mail a day...

for .39 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by waverunner
    the post office routes, transfers and physically delivers over 2 billion pieces of mail a day...

for .39 cents.
    True. But the USPS is not a commercial (corporate) organization. They (USPS) are not expected to turn profit, only breakeven, and the USPS is exempt from paying fed and state taxes as a government agency.

I don't think you can really compare the two.

-Tom
    Thomas.chaffin@qtsdatacenters.com
    312-877-0453 (m) alt: 630-456-6948 (m)
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

waverunner very good point. So what you are sayng is as the volume increases the price should decrease.

I've always wished domain names were priced at around $22-25 per year
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker
    Why would you wish on paying more?

Well it would make a bit of a decrease in the levels of domain names that are currently being squatted on.

As a spin off there would be more money in it for the godaddy and enom type organisations so they could probably afford to give a bit better customer service.

I’ve had customers who have to go to four word names and those god awful hyphenated names, simply because anything remotely relevant was being squatted.

It seems every Tom Dick and Harry has 400 strong portfolios of domains that they have never even done anything with, nor probably ever will.
    A $25.00 yearly fee would still be quite affordable to any business that really wanted the domain and would probably discourage squatting on all but the cream of domain names

The .AU registration policy is a better model of how ICANN should have made registration requirements

Of course it wont ever happen, but one can live in hope
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker
    I remember when they were USD 35.00 a year, with 2 years minimal initial registration...

For your best names I would not mind paying $35.00 providing the customer service is wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by technanny
    For your best names I would not mind paying $35.00 providing the customer service is wonderful
    Can I PM you the list of the best *MY* names so you'll be able to pay for them?

Joking, joking - of course.

Of course, you most probably wanted to say 'For MY best names I would not mind paying $35.00...'

Sure, providing you let me keep them

Sure, providing you let me keep them
    Why should I?

I am curious...

you guys that are in favor of price increases.... what industry are you in?

how would a price increase help you?

I would think ti would hurt you so you would be against it.

maybe my thougth processing is messing something.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaven

GoDaddy.com, an ICANN accredited registrar, today voiced its strong disapproval of a pending agreement between the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and VeriSign.

Good on old GoDaddy, I was thinking of transfering some domains that are due soon but now I will keep them with godaddy after reading this, sounds like we should support them.

i'd rather see the registry get outsourced to india, like everything else, than see godaddy get their hands on it.

if parson si after the registry, i wouldn't give him my used toilet paper, cept maybe to toss it in his lieing face.

if he wants to publically declare he wants no part of the registry but wants a competent company to have it, then i would support that.

i have a mile of emails, phone records and reciets about losuy godaddy services and failures to refund my money. as well as a snapshot of parsons personal blog claiming customers are 1st and such thinsg will never be acceptable.
    yet he does nothing about the real causes of their issues and keeps as much money as he possibally can.

parsons is 2 faced and can't be trusted to do the right thing.

if he is opening his mouth is bound to be for some self centered money making reasoning.

btw, verisign web sites says they have 40,000,000 domains under their control. "+" the com and net registries.

I can just see self hyping spammer bob foaming at the mouth, looking like that white stuff floating on top of chicken crap... not even amounting to a real terd, only a fake one.

but he's rich, so he can afford too.
    (it's rumored his money is dwindling)

never the less, he can't buy enough morality to cover the truth.
    Last edited by Get-Acom; 02-25-2006 at 10:00 PM.

well, if verisign voted themselves a huge pay raise, this would be cost-based justification
    there's a million and one ways around anything
    ask any politician
    With more success comes more expense!

waverunner very good point. So what you are sayng is as the volume increases the price should decrease.
    Yes. It's the economics theories of supply and demand, and of marginal costs.

I don't understand why there isn't an international organization that can run the registry effectively.

We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy
    I don't understand why there isn't an international organization that can run the registry effectively.

It is called the United nations

I don't really think UN cares enough. Frankly, I am sure they aren't SUPPOSED to care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast