Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what type of hosting do I need please?

I currently have a vbulletin forum that has 600,000 posts and has 12000 registered members and in a 24 hr period we will have 600 users login and approx 700 - 1000 guest ... we will normally have about 250 persons on the forum per hour ...

The site is about 3 gig in total and the forum dv is 430 mb

I am getting lots of mixed answers as to whether I need

Shared
    Semi Dedicated
    VPS
    Dedicated

I am currently on a shared server but it goes down every day in the evening

I have a budget of about $30 per moth maybe up to $50 can anybody <<< suggest a solution? >>>

Cheers
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 02-08-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Thinking in your budget, I would go for a VPS; in that way you can mod the apache and other things to make it more efficient

A few people have mentioned VPS however I am not a webmaster and so I think that cuts out VPS does it not?

mmm you can get someone to admin your vps; there are some really good ones around here

Convert your traffic to revenue and get dedicated. Your's a big busy forum.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

VPS are nice, but he said that he doesn't know how to use them. I think shared servers are more towards what he should use. They are cheaper, and he can move his way up as time provides.

Am open to any advice guys

VPS isnt an option for me right now as I have a very young WM and I am just the owner ...

CupraSi, his site will make server to overload. That's why I recommend VPS

Also you might get low specs of dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by RackSlash
    CupraSi, his site will make server to overload. That's why I recommend VPS

Also you might get low specs of dedicated server.
    Any advice on VPS then please?

I dont want to go to dedicated unless I have to and I have no knowledge to run my own server

Quote Originally Posted by CupraSi
    Erik

I have replied to the email with a question

I think that as this is a hobby site and not commercial that I need a fast shared server
    sharing host will cost more in fact not money only.

VPS would be better.
    Submit your site
    Are you the Rich Man

VPS is basically small small dedicated server, so you might need server management if you don't know about linux server. So you might think about $VPS + $management = $Total

Okay but then the costs would go up because it would have to be managed as well?

What about semi-dedicated, where there are <10 users on every server. Seems like the best option to me, behaves like a normal shared account.

What is url of your site that has 600,000 posts and has 12000 registered members?

But even with semi-dedicated, it will overload..because other accounts would have same mount of traffic as his site or not. Also looks like his site can be grow in the future..12000 members..(I think)

your pm's should start working sometime after 5 posts. I don't know exactly when. VPS servers are nice if you can't afford dedicated servers, but shared servers aren't powerful enough. You can find some nice VPS in the hosting offers section. I would recommend it if you are worried about a shared server being overloaded.

www.seatenthusiasts.co.uk

We are predicting to be to 20,000 members by the end of the year and 49000 by 2010 but they are on current figures we dont use much b/w though 67 gig last month

what matters is the parts in the server. If you have a quad core system w/ 16 gb ram etc. you can hold quite alot of shared systems. Everything can be overloaded. It all depends on the specs.

Still unsure....

I think you should start thinking long term if this is something you want to make grow and keep users coming back. Get some revenue streams in there to help pay for things and you will be much happier with the results overall. vps's and/or business hosting accounts are cheap but dedicated servers and management add up real fast. business hosting can be had for under $75/mo but even a halfway decent dedicated with management can be around $200/mo and if you have no income supporting it you can either close the forum, let it run like crap, or scramble for donations and ad revenue then.

stage 1: shared
    stage 2: business/semi dedicated or vps
    stage 3: dedicated
    stage 4: dedicated cluster

if you plan to go with a new company make sure they can handle your requests now and in the future, unless you want to come back here every couple of weeks/months searching for a new provider

regarding business hosting/vps/semi dedicated:

go for a vps if you have management experience in servers, they are a good choice and can get you warmed up for a dedicated server.

go for busines hosting or semi dedicated if you want a higher than normal resource usage account (which you have) but want it to act like a shared hosting account where the hoster handles security, updates, and day to day management. only thing you would have to worry about is using the control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by RackSlash
    But even with semi-dedicated, it will overload..because other accounts would have same mount of traffic as his site or not. Also looks like his site can be grow in the future..12000 members..(I think)
    Then he needs a dedicated, at least that's what I understand from what was explained to me about VPS in this thread

Where are you hosting it right now? With your type of forum it needs it's own server.

YOu are commanding a sweet amount of traffic. Throw some google adsense onto that sucker and you'll be earning enough to get a dedicated server FULLY managed.

Got a UK host at the moment

Am running google adsense but in the wrong place

Vps

you can get some really cheap Vps out there for really cheap prices some as little as $25 just need to find the right 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast