VPS, How much RAM do I need?

I am thinking of renting a vps for hosting normal sites. However, after using a dedicated server with 256 MB RAM and finding it very slow, when I came across a vps with only 128 MB RAM, I wondered it this would be enough.

The VPS would use Virtuozzo, cPanel and Fantastico and would host multiple sites, how much RAM would you recommend?

Thanks a lot,

I have found a post answering my question, sorry for wating your time

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by vjet
    I am thinking of renting a vps for hosting normal sites. However, after using a dedicated server with 256 MB RAM and finding it very slow, when I came across a vps with only 128 MB RAM, I wondered it this would be enough.

The VPS would use Virtuozzo, cPanel and Fantastico and would host multiple sites, how much RAM would you recommend?

Thanks a lot,
    I am absolutely not an expert, but I have been on a VPS with 256Mb (burstable to 1Gb) for some time now.
    And this VPS makes me loose my customers. They complain all about the same. The VPS is very slow some time. My reseller accounts on the shared platform at the same provider are much faster. Both of these servers are located at the Planet.

I really regret that I paid for a full 12 months, and am quite sure I will end this VPS after these 12 months.

I really wonder why. I have seen that other providers sell VPS packages with 128Mb and burstable to 256Mb. How can they run more than a few domains?

The first thing i noticed that was different on the Shared reseller Servers and the VPS that my provider have, are that the Shared servers has RedHat Enterprice and the VPS has RedHat 9. I guess that the Shared servers are rented from the Planet and that the VPS (that they added later) are buided up by them selves.

Maybe I have been unlucky, but if VPS are like my experience, think twice before you jump into a 12months prepay.

Sammy

to use cpanel you must have 256 mbram.

i have 256 mb ram with 8 gb burstable. and i have 65 domains on that box. And it is ok. I think it is differs from one host to another.
    Kind regards

Sammy95
    I have absolutely the same experience. The VPS comes with 256MB guaranteed and 1GB burst and 150GB monthly traffic. I am using half of it. During rush hours I have problems rather often (hanging services, slow etc). If the VZ backup overlaps the busy hours it usually dies completely.

Cyberturk
    Could you tell us 2 things please?
    (1) Which one is your provider?
    (2) How much monthly traffic do you have?

Best regards,
    Andy

hello

my provider hosteasier.com

my monthly bw is 200 GB per month

web site hosted is cyberturk.org
    Kind regards

Hello Cyberturk,

Thank you for the answer to (1).
    However at (2) it seems I didn't make myself clear enough: how much traffic do you actually use out of those 200GB?

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Andy

oh sorry for my english, i didn't understand the question. I am using 80-100 GB per month.
    Kind regards

Hi Cyberturk,

No problem...thank you for replying!
    This is similar to mine (75GB/month). Unfortunatelly with my current VPS (not from Hosteasier) I notice slow downs, hanging services and sometimes even crashes. Anyway, I understand you have upgraded to the 512MB guaranteed VPS.

Kind regards,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy95
    I am absolutely not an expert, but I have been on a VPS with 256Mb (burstable to 1Gb) for some time now.
    And this VPS makes me loose my customers. They complain all about the same. The VPS is very slow some time. My reseller accounts on the shared platform at the same provider are much faster. Both of these servers are located at the Planet.

I really regret that I paid for a full 12 months, and am quite sure I will end this VPS after these 12 months.

I really wonder why. I have seen that other providers sell VPS packages with 128Mb and burstable to 256Mb. How can they run more than a few domains?
    Well, the smaller VPS packages are not for webhosts but for people who need compleate control of their server but dont need a dedicated server.

I am very satisfied with the 64 mb VPS I am running my site on right now (Without a control panel).
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

Well, the smaller VPS packages are not for webhosts but for people who need compleate control of their server but dont need a dedicated server.
    Yes MSH...I think you are right. But I think the big question is: which package is large enough (as memory and CPU goes) to accomodate reselling hosting in good conditions: speed, uptime and reliability?

Regards,
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyB78; 02-07-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Hi,

I'm also looking into renting a VPS. I have never done this before so I'm also worried if 256Megs of RAM will be enough for my clients. I currently have 5 domains that I would like to move to the VPS that I'll buy, but they are not very busy.

Can anyone, based on their experience, tell us how approximately how many visitors can a VPS like that one handle? For example, a site with a typical forum, how many visitors can it handle well.

Thanks!