Curiosity about DreamHost

I was wondering for anyone who's had DreamHost, or knows anything about them. I really don't and would like to know, do they really allow you 1TB of bandwidth per month? Is there caps for this, or what? I would imagine they would have to have a really huge connection for this or just an unmetered connection.

Just curiosity....
    Viral Hosts.com
    Viral-Hosts
    Reseller.Shared.Shoutcast.Dedicated Hosting

You should be asking DreamHost this question. A little advice, always read the terms of service before signing up with a web host that is offering so much for so little.

Also, do you really need 1 TB of bandwidth per month? If so, don't you think you should be going with a dedicated server instead of a shared plan?

They may have a clause in their TOS saying that they will cut you off as they deem necessary...so be sure to check it out. It seems unlikely that thye can actually give you that much, but who knows.
    Zero Unit Hosting - 24/7 support, PHP, MySQL, site builder, script library
    Web Host Friend Online Hosting Directory - Submit Your Site!

How much does 1Tb of data transfer cost - $100, $500, $1000? It would certainly cost infinately more than you are paying, even for a dedicated server.

If I came to you and offered every cable/satellite TV channel on earth for $7.99 a month you'd smell a rat!

I'm really dying to see how long this can last...
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Yes, I am dying to see it too....

Well, it seems to be the big trend everyone and their grandma is jumping on these days... As if the customers would be dumb enough to swallow that simple bait?!
    (I'm sure they are not THAT dumb, right?)
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    (I'm sure they are not THAT dumb, right?)
    No, they're somewhat dumber still. Unfortunately for us all. If they were not, we wouldn't have this silly "my c*ck is much bigger than yours" competition among some hosts. But it's not the only business - legitimate camera stores are marketing "X megapixel cameras", like that had something to do with the overall quality of the device...

Someone here on WHT claimed to have moved 700Gb from DH over a week and that DH didn't say anything. I meant to try something similar but then realized that my own connection does not suffice and my ex-gf wouldn't like me to take her entire ADSL for one week... While I said "claimed", I have no reason to not believe. It's "just" some random files, and as you can see from that thread, I've had pretty similar consistent download speeds. In addition, my mp3 download site consumes so little CPU that I could probably move more that amount over a month.

OP: if you know that you're not getting the moon from the sky, understand that they're running their servers at pretty high loads and accept that they may not answer your tickets in 24h, Dreamhost may actually give you a pretty decent deal. If it's critical or high income operation, look somewhere else.
    Last edited by nettiapina; 02-02-2006 at 03:12 PM.

I currently am with dreamhost and have that 1TB plan. They also add 8GB to your account each week. I am not sure why since I have yet to use even half of what my plan allows and that is even having 2 domains on the same account with them.

Read the terms and services very carefully, they might have some kind of a capped rule after you go past a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer
    How much does 1Tb of data transfer cost - $100, $500, $1000? It would certainly cost infinately more than you are paying, even for a dedicated server.
    1TB of bandwidth on a quality, Tier-1 network costs around $950 - $1100 a month (although some companies are cheaper). Definately much more than the customer is paying.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    1TB of bandwidth on a quality, Tier-1 network costs around $950 - $1100 a month (although some companies are cheaper). Definately much more than the customer is paying.

Got to be something hidden here then there must something DH is doing to make that NEAR to happen, besides the "Most accounts do not even use 1% of their allowed bandwidth".

Quote Originally Posted by Rifat
    Read the terms and services very carefully, they might have some kind of a capped rule after you go past a certain point.
    No, they don't. And the overage charges aren't even that high, either. In addition, these plans make it almost impossible for them to get anything from the overages... But DH, as almost all shared hosts, have resource usage guidelines in their TOS. If you go beyond certain amount of "CPU minutes", they start sending you emails. CPU is the scarce resource in the webhosting.

Maybe it's just "economy of scale" kind of thing... When you have over 150 servers, one user using nearly 1TB/month does not matter anymore. If they all do... well, then you may be in deep sh*t. Except that they probably would just bog down your network in doing so, all getting crappy speeds or something.

I tried their service with a vBulletin forum.
    The forum started with a new database and reached 300 users online after 2 days.
    Bandwidth is about 5GB per day, cpu minutes sending to my email is less than 1
    The third day they suspended the site and asked me to optimise vBulletin
    So if you're planning to use lots of bandwidth, it must be a http site or storing files for download
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

If you're transfering 5GB a day on a forum then you need a dedicated server or VPS (which they don't offer).

For the record, I wasn't planning on buying from them, I was just curious if that was true or not lol.

I have my own hosting company, why would I buy elsewhere? Eh.. anyways.

Thanks for the answers fellas
    Viral Hosts.com
    Viral-Hosts
    Reseller.Shared.Shoutcast.Dedicated Hosting

Well as a hosting company owner you would have already known the answer to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost
    So if you're planning to use lots of bandwidth, it must be a http site or storing files for download
    (I'm Dreamhost customer for almost a year, previously they offered 120GB bandwidth)

unfortunatelly even serving static sites, or even files you can be warned by dreamhost because resources usage

few days ago they temporarily switched off one of my sites, and warned me that it would be switched off permanently.

After that I analyzed my logs and found the problem - a few images (about 50kB each) were hotliked on some forum.

Then I calculated approx. bandwith use and the result is:

- hotliked images would use 168GB/month assuming constant load
    - all of my other sites use about 20GB/month

so ... even using 200BG of bandwidth and serving 85% of static only traffic would be to much

Conclusion: 1TB is definitely unreal, but if you want to serve dynamic (php) pages even 20-50GB traffic would be too much, and you could be suspended by Dreamhost
    Last edited by _xy_; 02-16-2006 at 07:19 AM.

After that I analyzed my logs and found the problem - a few images (about 50kB each) were hotliked on some forum.

Then I calculated approx. bandwith use and the result is:

- hotliked images would use 168GB/month assuming constant load
    - all of my other sites use about 20GB/month

so ... even using 200BG of bandwidth and serving 85% of static only traffic would be to much
    If the files you're trasferring are relatively small, yes, the high number of hits (file access requests) can result in high CPU usage, especially if there are spikes of traffic.