Matthew Pugh - Caught ripping yet again!

It has been brought to my attention for a second time that Matthew Pugh <_> has ripped off one of my designs for his hosting web site hostingplace.co.uk.

Site rip: www.hostingplace.co.uk
    Original (site): http://www.websentrik.com/
    Original (header): http://www.stayhosted.com/

At the end of November last year whmcs.com had one of my web site designs up, I emailed him kindly asking to take the design down and I wouldn't pursue any other action, Matthew emailed me back telling me he had bought it from another designer who of course he didn't remember the name of, and said he would take the site down which he did.

Just a few days ago a friend of mine on MSN was talking with Matthew about the web site, Matthew explained that he had designed the web site him self. I think it is clear from this to see what is going on here.

I have emailed him to cease and desist from using the web site design and code yet again, I expect a similar reply as I always do.

I thought I would post this here as it gives you a good idea of the person behind these 2 sites, who's handle here on WHT is 'mwsolutions' and the now banned 'hostingplace'.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been in a similar situation and what they do towards these consistent thief's.

- Dan
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 02-03-2006 at 03:08 PM.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites
      0 Not allowed!

the only thing i dont understand about ripping is, why not just change the fonts color, maybe steal some other images from another site and then be another site in wolves land.
    el Dutty-Dutty
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by elfalso
    the only thing i dont understand about ripping is, why not just change the fonts color, maybe steal some other images from another site and then be another site in wolves land.
    Because that's too much effort and brain power for them, they obviously can't be too smart or mature. To whatever degree someone like that rips a site, someone some where will always catch you.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites
      0 Not allowed!

I don't see much of a similarity...?
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared • Reseller • Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com
      0 Not allowed!

They took it down. I will be keeping a close eye on both sites and anything from them in the near future.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites
      0 Not allowed!

uh...

I love these...they make me laugh

Maybe a better thing to do than asking to take it down would be to thank him for using it and ask him to please add your name/link to it
    design by loadingdeck.com
    guess it's too late
    Last edited by zoobie; 02-01-2006 at 09:38 PM.
    With more success comes more expense!
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah I like your thinking zoobie.

When this sort of thing happens to me I do something similar to that. Though normally I ask the host to display my web site's banner as well if they really wish to use it that bad. Normally they comply and it drives in more hits to my site.

That or pay for it at a reduced price plus banner. That's when they don't get enough hits. Normally they do NOT comply and simply remove by design and rip someone elses. Basterds!!!
    God Bless America
      0 Not allowed!

How exactly would that work guys?

1 company pays X amount for an original design, but I let a thief use it for free as long as they link to me? Not quite sure what I would get out of a cheap-skate web host linking to me...

Well it's all sorted, at least for now. The guy messaged me thinking I have something against him... I don't, he seems like a nice guy apart from this, and he took it down right away. He just needs to stop wasting time ripping these designs and learn from his mistakes like we all do.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites
      0 Not allowed!

I see your point. Well, yes...the company pays big time and the thief gets it for a link. Sorry I don't have a better answer but this is going to happen regardless...May as well get something out of it even if it's minimal. As they say, half a loaf is better than no bread at all. We're all in the same boat. I've shot tons of video clips and have seen them on other sites already. All I could do is put a watermark on them. When you display your templates, is it the actual template or a pic? Seems a pic would give a little protection...
    With more success comes more expense!
      0 Not allowed!

ohh i was thinking of purchasing from this guy. This post has definetly changed my mind
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism
    Well it's all sorted, at least for now.
    Good to hear If you need the thread reopened at a later date, please let us know.
      0 Not allowed!