hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : building SQL query with PHP based on user selection

Forum Jump

building SQL query with PHP based on user selection

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

building SQL query with PHP based on user selection

I have a form that has five checkboxes. Depending on what the user selects, I need to change the query.

My basic query is this--

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table WHERE latitude IS NOT NULL AND longitude IS NOT NULL AND latitude >= $minLat AND latitude <= $maxLat AND longitude >= $minLng AND longitude <= $maxLng");

Now, I need to add on to the end of it code like this for each checkbox that is checked--

AND listprice BETWEEN '0' AND '100000' OR listprice BETWEEN '150000' AND '250000' etc...

If checkbox '0' is selected, then I need--> listprice BETWEEN '0' AND '100000'
If checkbox '3' is selected, then I need --> listprice BETWEEN '150000' AND '250000'

That's easy enough, but how do I get the OR in there between each of those without leaving a trailing OR at the end and fouling up the query. What I need it to look like (depending on what the user selects) is--

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table WHERE latitude IS NOT NULL AND longitude IS NOT NULL AND latitude >= $minLat AND latitude <= $maxLat AND longitude >= $minLng AND longitude <= $maxLng AND listprice BETWEEN '0' AND '100000' OR listprice BETWEEN '150000' AND '250000'")

I hope that made sense. I see maybe the need for a loop but I don't know where to begin. Each checkbox is given the value of '1' if it is checked or '0' if it is off. I also have a variable called $arguments that is the sum of all the checkboxes so if there are 3 checked, the value of $arguments is '3'.

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Why not put the queries into an if statement? or use switch?

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Ya, a switch case would be very easy to setup

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

I believe his issue is this:
If checkbox '0' is selected then
$append .= "listprice BETWEEN '0' AND '100000'"
If checkbox '3' is selected then
$append .= "listprice BETWEEN '150000' AND '250000'"

Then the problem is getting the ORs in the right places. For that, I would put the extra conditions into an array ($append[] = ...) and join() them. You would also need an 'if' to handle getting the AND in there. This whole process is curious, though, since I question if someone would really look at those ranges, but have no interest in the 100k - 150k range. Perhaps dropdowns for each end of the range would be better than checkboxes.

Old
Community Guide

I'm curious why you are checking for NOT NULL, if you have an additional range check. One negates the other.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
New Metadata Service Lets DigitalOcean Users Automate ‘Droplet’ Provisioning Web Hosting News 2014-10-15 16:48:51
Microsoft Azure Launches New Services Aimed at Developers Web Hosting News 2014-08-22 11:46:48
With New Version, MongoDB Extends Database Management Capabilities Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:34:01
Server Farm Realty Opens Massive Data Center in Chicago Web Hosting News 2013-06-11 11:38:04
Alert Logic Releases New Version of Security and Compliance Solution Web Hosting News 2013-02-19 15:55:16