Password Reset on Extreme Summit 48

We have an Extreme Summit 48 that was shipped to us, but we need to reset the password. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows how to reset the switch to default settings clearing out any existing passwords.

I figured that someone here has undoubtedly done this before and would have a quicker answer for us than trying to comb through all of the PDF files on Extreme's website.

Thanks for any assistance.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

check out the article here... always works for us!

http://www.tancom.com/extreme_switch_password.asp
    Goscomb Technologies Limited - www.goscomb.net / AS39326
    E: sales@goscomb.net P: +44 (0) 203 129 4400 F: +44 (0) 203 129 4410
    IP Transit :: Colocation :: Dedicated Servers :: Leased Lines :: DSL
    Registered in England and Wales No. 05672987 - VAT Registration No. 853 7954 80

That is the link I used awhile back, works good. Remember the summit 48's are a bit old / no real support for them, they are great switches so long as you leave them at 100mbps, don't try to play with rate limiting, it seems to slow the switch's down to a crawl.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Thanks for the info, but it didn't work.

Here's the info on the switch:

Version 4.1.9 (Build 2) By Release_Master on Thu 06/17/1999 4:04p
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

I bought an extreme 48 too. After an exhaustive search I came to the conclusion it was impossible to reset the password without paying Summit ~$500 for a service contract.

-Jon
    Fork Networking - 1995-2010+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>

No worries, it is possible, I have removed the pw off 3 48's and 1 1i. when I am at the dc tomorrow or the next day I will play with the spair 48 we have and post the exact way I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by apexio
    I bought an extreme 48 too. After an exhaustive search I came to the conclusion it was impossible to reset the password without paying Summit ~$500 for a service contract.

-Jon
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

I"d be real interested in this too. Have the same issue, but with the Summit 24, and $500 is too much, considering what these are going for on ebay. We've had one in the office for over a year now that we can't get into.
    Last edited by carguy84; 02-06-2006 at 11:22 AM.

I just scanned over that site, that isn't how I reset the password. Try this, Connect the null modem cable, open up the terminal, reboot the switch and just as you do that press the space bar a few times, this will prevent the switch from booting, from there type d then f the swtich will boot with default settings, use the username admin with no password to get it, change the pw for admin then "save" reboot and your good to go. this is all off my head, I will test it tonight.

9. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com