hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Password Reset on Extreme Summit 48

Forum Jump

Password Reset on Extreme Summit 48

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Password Reset on Extreme Summit 48

We have an Extreme Summit 48 that was shipped to us, but we need to reset the password. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows how to reset the switch to default settings clearing out any existing passwords.

I figured that someone here has undoubtedly done this before and would have a quicker answer for us than trying to comb through all of the PDF files on Extreme's website.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old
WHT Addict

check out the article here... always works for us!

http://www.tancom.com/extreme_switch_password.asp

Registered in England and Wales No. 05672987 - VAT Registration No. 853 7954 80

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

That is the link I used awhile back, works good. Remember the summit 48's are a bit old / no real support for them, they are great switches so long as you leave them at 100mbps, don't try to play with rate limiting, it seems to slow the switch's down to a crawl.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for the info, but it didn't work.

Here's the info on the switch:

Version 4.1.9 (Build 2) By Release_Master on Thu 06/17/1999 4:04p

Old
Junior Guru

I bought an extreme 48 too. After an exhaustive search I came to the conclusion it was impossible to reset the password without paying Summit ~$500 for a service contract.

-Jon

<www.forked.net>

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

No worries, it is possible, I have removed the pw off 3 48's and 1 1i. when I am at the dc tomorrow or the next day I will play with the spair 48 we have and post the exact way I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexio
I bought an extreme 48 too. After an exhaustive search I came to the conclusion it was impossible to reset the password without paying Summit ~$500 for a service contract.

-Jon

Old
WHT Addict

I"d be real interested in this too. Have the same issue, but with the Summit 24, and $500 is too much, considering what these are going for on ebay. We've had one in the office for over a year now that we can't get into.

Last edited by carguy84; 02-06-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I just scanned over that site, that isn't how I reset the password. Try this, Connect the null modem cable, open up the terminal, reboot the switch and just as you do that press the space bar a few times, this will prevent the switch from booting, from there type d then f the swtich will boot with default settings, use the username admin with no password to get it, change the pw for admin then "save" reboot and your good to go. this is all off my head, I will test it tonight.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
OX Summit Web Hosting Events 2014-07-23 21:01:52
Open-Xchange Summit 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-09-19 18:04:21
Linode Resets Passwords After Discovering Customer Hacking Attempt Web Hosting News 2013-04-15 13:25:41
eMetrics Summit San Francisco 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-03-27 19:50:13
Heroku Works with Security Researcher to Fix Password Vulnerability Web Hosting News 2013-01-10 12:51:17