upgrading dependencies for php5

Hey all,

I currently have a dedicated server with CentOS 3.5 installed on it, with Apache 2.0.55, and PHP 5.0.5. Today when trying to upgrade my version of PHP to version 5.1.2, ./configure states that I am running an older version of libxml2 (2.5.10) than what is required (2.6.x).

When I try and upgrade libxml2 using YUM, yum returns that libxml2 is up to date. If i try to download and install the RPM for libxml2, it returns conflict errors.

My question is how can I upgrade libxml2 so that i can upgrade php5? I also had a similar issue when trying to upgrade glibc for zimbra, it returned it had the latest version when in fact it had an older version that wasnt compatible with zimbra.

any help appreciated.

thanks,

josh

Yum will only give it's results based on your yum repositry. If there is no updated package on the yum repo, it will assume you are upto date. That simply means no-one has added the main CentOS yum repo with the newer package you need (that's not uncommon). You could check to see if there is a testing repo you could use or something simular - that maybe more up to date.

Did you just try and install the RPM you downloaded for the latest libxml2 or did you try an upgrade of the existing rpm? An install would conflict with the version you have installed already.

I had a feeling that that may have been the issue, that there wasnt an updated release at the server.

I tried installing a new RPM from ftp://xmlsoft.org, not upgrading an existing RPM.

So what should i try now?

Thanks,

josh

try:
    rpm -U <downloadedpackagename.rpm>
    rather than
    rpm -i <downloadedpackagename.rpm>
    (or rpm -ivh or whatever you used).
    In theory that should upgrade the original rpm with the new one you downloaded rather than trying to install it along side the original one.

ah, i thought installing the new package would automatically upgrade the older version to the newer one. thanks!

Now libxml2 wont upgrade because libxml2-devel and libxml2-python are dependant on the current version installed. When i try to upgrade both of those they say that libxml2 is dependant on the current version of both those packages?!

Try this:
    rpm -U newpackage1.rpm newpackage1-devel.rpm newpackage1-python.rpm
    If I remember rightly that'll resolve that issue. If not try:
    rpm -U --force newpackage1.rpm
    rpm -U --foce newpackage1-devel.rpm
    rpm -U --foce newpackage1-python.rpm
    That'll make it ignor dependancies and errors (and as you are resolving them anyway it shouldn't matter too much),

I actually tried rpm -U newpackage1.rpm newpackage1-devel.rpm newpackage1-python.rpm this morning, but it didn't work, so I upgraded libxml2 by compiling from source. Those commands are good to know however because I will most definately have to upgrade other dependencies sometime in the future.

thanks for all your help