hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : RAID questions

Forum Jump

RAID questions

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

RAID questions

Is it possible to hook up an external HD (FireWire/USB) to a server while running other hard drives in a RAID so that I can use the external one to back up my web/db directories?

If possible what I want to do is do weekly backup to the external HD and then once a month go to the DC my server is located and swamp the external HD for another one and keep the one I just pulled at my office. Rinse and repeat once a month. Yes sounds kinda paranoid but I'll be getting a dedicated server and have no desire to deal with any user data loss. Having the customers wait a day or two for a restore I can deal with but not if I lose any data.

How about keeping a clone server with the exact same specs as my main hosting server which I update with the data from the backup drive and keep at my office. If the main one goes I just go into the dc and swamp it out for the clone.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old

yes, its possible. Almost anything is 'possible'. Keeping a clone in your office is also possible. But if you are going to do that, why not just keep a clone in teh DC?

blog: http://www.route27.net

Old
Retired Moderator

Normally for crucial servers, I kept a hot spare, an identical server with hotswap, so any problem just need to swap over the hard disks. For normal times, that server serve as a backup server.

Sponsored Links

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Swedish Police Raid The Pirate Bay, Knocking File Sharing Sites Offline Web Hosting News 2014-12-09 21:02:39
NZ Court Orders Police to Hand Back Clones of Dotcom’s Data Seized in 2012 Raid Web Hosting News 2014-09-08 12:26:34
Web Hosting Sales and Promos - June 13, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-06-13 18:30:39
New Zealand Court Rules Warrants Used in 2012 Dotcom Mansion Raid Legal Web Hosting News 2014-02-19 12:06:55
Kim Dotcom Sues New Zealand Government over Illegal Raids, Spying Web Hosting News 2013-09-16 12:12:51