hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Is there a way I can call a private number back?

Forum Jump

Is there a way I can call a private number back?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

Is there a way I can call a private number back?

Somebody just called me from a private number using *67 before dialing so that their number doesn't show up on my caller ID. I wasn't at home when they called but I need to find out who it was so I tried to see who it was by entering *69 but of course it doesn't reveal the number like that.

Is there some way I can just make my phone call back that number?

Anybody know

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

Nope. It's called "Private Number" for a reason.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Community Guide

No.
Think SniperDevil pretty much covered what I was going to say.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Web Hosting Master

Whoever called used *67 before dialing so I guess I'm screwed.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

you can contact your phone company and have them block all private number callers from calling your # with out identifying themself.

Thanks
- James

Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
Whoever called used *67 before dialing so I guess I'm screwed.
If you have reasonable cause or suspicion to believe that the person who called you may have committed a crime against you, has threatened you, or is threatening you, you may be able to get the phone company to release the phone number of this "private caller." I believe the caller ID gets filtered out at the telco's switch, not at the line level. Therefore, the phone company probably has on its CDR logs the name and/or number of the person whose identity you wish to know. However, I doubt they would release this unless there were serious, legitimate cause for concern -- and in that case, you'd probably have to go through the police, to whom the number would then be released.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperDevil
I believe the caller ID gets filtered out at the telco's switch, not at the line level.
ANI gets sent through and recorded at each switch regardless of the privacy setting of CNID (which is how if you call 911 or most toll-free numbers they have access to your number even if you set it to "private') -- so it's certainly true that the phone company has a record of where the call originated. Probably not going to help, though, as you point out the telco isn't going to release that directly to the person who received the call.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC
ANI gets sent through and recorded at each switch regardless of the privacy setting of CNID (which is how if you call 911 or most toll-free numbers they have access to your number even if you set it to "private') -- so it's certainly true that the phone company has a record of where the call originated. Probably not going to help, though, as you point out the telco isn't going to release that directly to the person who received the call.
Thanks for the clarification, Jay.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Dell Shareholders Approve Buyout for $25 Billion Web Hosting News 2013-09-12 15:51:42
Add a Second Server to Your Farm Blog 2013-07-31 14:01:05
Oracle Acquiring Private Cloud Software Nimbula Web Hosting News 2013-03-14 12:13:11
Cirrus Tech Offers Infratel IP Telephony Service through Parallels Automation Integration Web Hosting News 2012-12-14 16:32:01
Rackspace Includes Private Cloud Product in Partnership with Rightscale Cloud Management Software Web Hosting News 2012-11-05 11:16:12