Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do people still pirate vBulletin?

Do people still pirate vBulletin?

What can vBulletin do that the free forum softwares can't, anyway?
      0 Not allowed!

Well, for one, no, don't think vB can be pirated anymore, it checks your license keys.

Basic functionality...not much difference between many forum software. But it's vB's ability to be greatly customized in almost every respect, support, thirdpart support, and popularity that makes it the leader.

Now that being said, it's also one of the worst forums to run in regards to server abuse. Even a mildly popular forum can cause hefty server loads, expecially if the forum has a lot of mods and addons. But it's not as unsecure as some of the opensource forums (ie phpBB).
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah people do, I occasionally suspend a user or two who's using nullified VB script they downloaded from some p2p net.
    What can vBulletin do that the free forum softwares can't, anyway?
    I think that it's not functionality makes people pirate it, it's that they want to look like big guys.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfTuner
    Yeah people do, I occasionally suspend a user or two who's using nullified VB script they downloaded from some p2p net.

I think that it's not functionality makes people pirate it, it's that they want to look like big guys.
    I have served notices which generally lets the user sort the problem out conveniently. If these are ignored i suspend etc.

Im thinking of creaing a forum for us, probably swaying toward invisions board.
      0 Not allowed!

I have served notices which generally lets the user sort the problem out conveniently. If these are ignored i suspend etc.
    Yeah, that's of course the preferred way, but sometimes you just have no time to contact user.
    Im thinking of creaing a forum for us, probably swaying toward invisions board.
    That's a good choice.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, Invison Board is great.
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds like the way forward! Will probably get it implemented this Qtr.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes , vB is still pirated!
    http://www.webdtalk.com - The Web Development Talk
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Haris
    Yes , vB is still pirated!
    As is most other mildly popular scripts. However, that is no excuse to use a pirated copy, alot of hosts will suspend you for hosting pirated software, and vB can take action against you.

Adam
    Adam
      0 Not allowed!

vBulletin actively searches for people running their software illegally. They keep a database of all forums that people have registered legitimately and if you're not on that list, you haven't paid for the software. They will send a DMCA notice to the host of anyone running pirated copies.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.
      0 Not allowed!

Simply because of a call home feature and an attempt to verfiy a license's status is in place, that does not mean it cannot and is not still pirated . vBulletin is a great piece of software and like others, it will be pirated.

I've been a customer of vBulletin's for the past 5 years, although, in all honesty, it's not that hard to work around the script's installation process and it's call home security feature. They are there for a reason and it's to stop those just looking to pirate without knowing anything more, though if you really want to work around it, it is possible.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by netfreak
    vBulletin actively searches for people running their software illegally. They keep a database of all forums that people have registered legitimately and if you're not on that list, you haven't paid for the software. They will send a DMCA notice to the host of anyone running pirated copies.
    I echo this fact. I have seen it happen before.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieFishill
    Well, for one, no, don't think vB can be pirated anymore, it checks your license keys.

Basic functionality...not much difference between many forum software. But it's vB's ability to be greatly customized in almost every respect, support, thirdpart support, and popularity that makes it the leader.

Now that being said, it's also one of the worst forums to run in regards to server abuse. Even a mildly popular forum can cause hefty server loads, expecially if the forum has a lot of mods and addons. But it's not as unsecure as some of the opensource forums (ie phpBB).

Although not recommended this can easily be reomved from the script. vBulletin is fully open source even the call home portion. And honestly i love the fact that they give full access to source code so i can tinker with it and modify it to my needs. That and they have a huge mod / hack community.

Thanks
    - James
      0 Not allowed!

Arrrrrrr, Piracy!
    Ya, people still pirate it.
    ☊ Talk to family, friends, teammates and colleagues with a myMumble voice server. 19 locations around the world!
    SysadminBoard - Share and obtain knowledge directly from veteran systems administrators.
      0 Not allowed!

People do, just not as much. Most versions that are free contain google banners and such - it's pretty shady.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast