hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Do people still pirate vBulletin?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Do people still pirate vBulletin?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

What can vBulletin do that the free forum softwares can't, anyway?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech Consultant

Well, for one, no, don't think vB can be pirated anymore, it checks your license keys.

Basic functionality...not much difference between many forum software. But it's vB's ability to be greatly customized in almost every respect, support, thirdpart support, and popularity that makes it the leader.

Now that being said, it's also one of the worst forums to run in regards to server abuse. Even a mildly popular forum can cause hefty server loads, expecially if the forum has a lot of mods and addons. But it's not as unsecure as some of the opensource forums (ie phpBB).

Old 01-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Yeah people do, I occasionally suspend a user or two who's using nullified VB script they downloaded from some p2p net.
Quote:
What can vBulletin do that the free forum softwares can't, anyway?
I think that it's not functionality makes people pirate it, it's that they want to look like big guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 06:34 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTuner
Yeah people do, I occasionally suspend a user or two who's using nullified VB script they downloaded from some p2p net.

I think that it's not functionality makes people pirate it, it's that they want to look like big guys.
I have served notices which generally lets the user sort the problem out conveniently. If these are ignored i suspend etc.

Im thinking of creaing a forum for us, probably swaying toward invisions board.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
I have served notices which generally lets the user sort the problem out conveniently. If these are ignored i suspend etc.
Yeah, that's of course the preferred way, but sometimes you just have no time to contact user.
Quote:
Im thinking of creaing a forum for us, probably swaying toward invisions board.
That's a good choice.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Yes, Invison Board is great.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:59 PM
WHT Addict

Sounds like the way forward! Will probably get it implemented this Qtr.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:05 PM

Yes , vB is still pirated!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Haris
Yes , vB is still pirated!
As is most other mildly popular scripts. However, that is no excuse to use a pirated copy, alot of hosts will suspend you for hosting pirated software, and vB can take action against you.

Adam

Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

vBulletin actively searches for people running their software illegally. They keep a database of all forums that people have registered legitimately and if you're not on that list, you haven't paid for the software. They will send a DMCA notice to the host of anyone running pirated copies.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Simply because of a call home feature and an attempt to verfiy a license's status is in place, that does not mean it cannot and is not still pirated . vBulletin is a great piece of software and like others, it will be pirated.

I've been a customer of vBulletin's for the past 5 years, although, in all honesty, it's not that hard to work around the script's installation process and it's call home security feature. They are there for a reason and it's to stop those just looking to pirate without knowing anything more, though if you really want to work around it, it is possible.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfreak
vBulletin actively searches for people running their software illegally. They keep a database of all forums that people have registered legitimately and if you're not on that list, you haven't paid for the software. They will send a DMCA notice to the host of anyone running pirated copies.
I echo this fact. I have seen it happen before.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieFishill
Well, for one, no, don't think vB can be pirated anymore, it checks your license keys.

Basic functionality...not much difference between many forum software. But it's vB's ability to be greatly customized in almost every respect, support, thirdpart support, and popularity that makes it the leader.

Now that being said, it's also one of the worst forums to run in regards to server abuse. Even a mildly popular forum can cause hefty server loads, expecially if the forum has a lot of mods and addons. But it's not as unsecure as some of the opensource forums (ie phpBB).

Although not recommended this can easily be reomved from the script. vBulletin is fully open source even the call home portion. And honestly i love the fact that they give full access to source code so i can tinker with it and modify it to my needs. That and they have a huge mod / hack community.

Thanks
- James

Old 01-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Community Guide

Arrrrrrr, Piracy!
Ya, people still pirate it.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Disabled

People do, just not as much. Most versions that are free contain google banners and such - it's pretty shady.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
The Pirate Bay Uploads Continue to Grow Despite Anti-Piracy Pressure Web Hosting News 2013-12-31 11:33:12
The Pirate Bay Switches to .AC ccTLD Following Domain Seizure, Pressure from Dutch Anti-Piracy Group Web Hosting News 2013-12-13 11:21:23
Savings for Swashbucklers: Web Hosting Deals for Talk Like a Pirate Day Blog 2013-09-19 13:19:24
The Pirate Bay Helps Users Circumvent Censorship with New PirateBrowser Web Hosting News 2013-08-12 14:23:13
Torrent Site The Pirate Bay Embraces Cloud Hosting to Improve Uptime, Lower Costs Web Hosting News 2012-10-17 10:59:01