Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    I had to pay a $2000 bandwidth overage with gnax last year and the graphs were not working so there was no way for me to tell the bandwidth usage.
    Poor guy, shake hand!
      0 Not allowed!

The cell phone companies do the same thing.

If you go over your minutes, they will NEVER send you a reminder, they will let you go over the minutes at 40 cents per minute, then send you the bill. You can log in to your cell phone account and track your minutes though, just like hosting companies.

Now if you are past due on paying your cell phone bill, they will send you text messages once a day for 5 days alerting you to pay your bill or your account will be suspended. I like this!

How come they also do not send you an alert that you are reaching your monthly minutes useage? They do it for a reason, to make $$$$ and stick it to you!

If you are uploading such huge files and using such high bandwidth, this is really a hard lesson to learn and would make some people cry - especially when you purchase the $4 web hosting plan. The cheapest plan on planet earth! This kind of plan is for a 1-5 page website or less.
    Robert W Hendrix - Creative Vision Studio, LLC.
    Bankcard Pros CRM Software Development for the credit card processing industry
    www.creativevisionstudio.com - www.bankcardpros.com - www.bankcardpros.net
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by f9-Alex
    Well, since overselling entails charging questionably low prices, the host may decide to charge customers equally questionable amounts for overages. We can discuss who's at fault all night long, but I think we can all agree that overselling just leads to trouble.
    All My Data » From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yahooer
    Kenneth Myhre

Thanks for teaching GoDaddy's TOS to me. I said it's an expensive lesson.

I remember you are doing a great job to review tons of US hosting company, also I know you probably are a rich person. You wouldn't understand a poor student's feeling when he gets an un-expected huge bill.
    man, you were offering 300 Mb files for download. didn't you think there might be a problem with BW? I hope you think more about your studies than your hosting requirements.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by creative_vision
    The cell phone companies do the same thing.

If you go over your minutes, they will NEVER send you a reminder, they will let you go over the minutes at 40 cents per minute, then send you the bill. You can log in to your cell phone account and track your minutes though, just like hosting companies.

Now if you are past due on paying your cell phone bill, they will send you text messages once a day for 5 days alerting you to pay your bill or your account will be suspended. I like this!

How come they also do not send you an alert that you are reaching your monthly minutes useage? They do it for a reason, to make $$$$ and stick it to you!
    You know how many minutes you have talked on your cell phone, right?

But it's more diffcult to know how many people are downloding or hotlinking your files on the server. Especially Godaddy's Stats system is weak enough compare to Awstats or Webalizer.
      0 Not allowed!

That is unfortunate...I have always had success with GoDaddy. If that is there TOS you may be SOL.
      0 Not allowed!

When it comes to suing a company or taking them to court, good luck!

You will never win suing a company for $800. Even if you win, it will cost you more money to sue a company than what you can win. And if you do win, how are you going to collect the money? You will then have to sue to collect the money.

It costs $250 just to get an attorney to send a letter and get started. If you choose to go to court, be prepared to pay $2000-4000 just to pay their retainer fees.

SO, GOING TO COURT IS NOT AN OPTION FOR THE LITTLE GUY. If you are a company as big as godaddy .com who has $1 million to waste on a Super Bowl Ad of a babe showing her breasts, then they have all the money and resources to beat you in court easily.
      0 Not allowed!

You know how many minutes you have talked on your cell phone, right?

But it's more diffcult to know how many people are downloding or hotlinking your files on the server. Especially Godaddy's Stats system is weak enough compare to Awstats or Webalizer.
    It is your responsibility to know your bandwidth, just like your cell phone useage. I got charged $500 additional on my cell phone bill for overage. I fought and yelled and argued, and had to pay every dime. They o not care. If you don't pay, then they shut off my cell phone and report me to the credit bureaus. Something I don't want.

I told the cell phone company that for $30 more, they could have automatically switched me to the next cell phone plan and saved me the $500 overage. And i would have been a happy customer for life. They don't care, shut up and pay the bill.

GoDaddy could have easily changed you to their $29 plan automatically. But they will never do that as they would lose money. Now if your bill is not paid on time, GoDaddy will send you an email every day until you pay or take your site down.

Is it fair, no way.
    Should they start sending out email notification stating that the customer is at risk for additional charges, yes they should.
    Will they do it, they never will!

Welcome to Corporate America!

One last note. Feel lucky about paying the additional $700. Customers like you just financed Bob Parson's $1 Million super bowl ad for this year. So go buy some popcorn, and a soda, sit back, and enjoy the super bowl ad that you helped finance.
      0 Not allowed!

When it comes to suing a company or taking them to court, good luck!

You will never win suing a company for $800. Even if you win, it will cost you more money to sue a company than what you can win. And if you do win, how are you going to collect the money? You will then have to sue to collect the money.

It costs $250 just to get an attorney to send a letter and get started. If you choose to go to court, be prepared to pay $2000-4000 just to pay their retainer fees.

SO, GOING TO COURT IS NOT AN OPTION FOR THE LITTLE GUY. If you are a company as big as godaddy .com who has $1 million to waste on a Super Bowl Ad of a babe showing her breasts, then they have all the money and resources to beat you in court easily.
    PLEASE READ MY POSTS PROPERLY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry, guys, I missed to reply this question.

Most of files on that space are *.rmvb, Chinese independent films, each file is around 200-300MB.
    Dude, you should have known you were dommed the moment you start uploading such huge files on a personal hosting account.

The rule-of-thumb I always follow when using a shared server is to never upload a file which is more than 1mb by itself. Because if a sudden surge of users started downloading the files constantly, it will drain your bandwidth before you even know it, just like this time.

My recommendation is that you should get a $49 10mbps unmetered from HiVelocity or something. I know its more than $3.56 you pay godaddy, but its a hell of a lot less than $690.

Trust me, if you dont learn from this and get another shared host or keep uploading huge *** files on shared servers, you will pay again, literally.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Haris
    Godaddy really sucks now! I think they are growing with negative comments since 2005.
    May be they should spend less time on slutty commercials and more time on Customer Service.
      0 Not allowed!

PLEASE READ MY POSTS PROPERLY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    Yes, i did read all your posts.

My response regarding lawsuits was for all the people making that suggestion and was not directed to you.

This also makes me think twice about using my credit card to pay bills using their auto pay features. Everyone should start having companies like GoDaddy and cell phone companies to send you an invoice and pay by check.

Otherwise, they will charge your card for whatever amount without notice.
      0 Not allowed!

It is your responsibility to know your bandwidth, just like your cell phone useage. I got charged $500 additional on my cell phone bill for overage. I fought and yelled and argued, and had to pay every dime. They o not care. If you don't pay, then they shut off my cell phone and report me to the credit bureaus. Something I don't want.

I told the cell phone company that for $30 more, they could have automatically switched me to the next cell phone plan and saved me the $500 overage. And i would have been a happy customer for life. They don't care, shut up and pay the bill.

GoDaddy could have easily changed you to their $29 plan automatically. But they will never do that as they would lose money. Now if your bill is not paid on time, GoDaddy will send you an email every day until you pay or take your site down.

Is it fair, no way.
    Should they start sending out email notification stating that the customer is at risk for additional charges, yes they should.
    Will they do it, they never will!

Welcome to Corporate America!

One last note. Feel lucky about paying the additional $700. Customers like you just financed Bob Parson's $1 Million super bowl ad for this year. So go buy some popcorn, and a soda, sit back, and enjoy the super bowl ad that you helped finance.
    this is not a case of big bad corporate America. GoDaddy gives 250 GB for $3.99 and actually lets customers use it all. that's very generous. it would have taken Yahooer just a few minutes to check his stats and upgrade by himself. I feel good to know such ample BW exists, great for hosting some of my files. thanks Yahooer!!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha Jambu
    May be they should spend less time on slutty commercials and more time on Customer Service.
    Yes, GoDaddy should have spent that $1 Million in developing email notifications to alert customers of possibly being billed for additional bandwidth, etc.

This will result in happy customers for life. Instead, their billing policies, although they may be right, and do take advantage of ignorant customers, do nothing but piss everyone off and fill all the online forums with anti-Godaddy posts that result in alot of bad publicity and lost sales.
      0 Not allowed!

This topic bacame meanless to me. Cos I have to pay this fee soon or later, they will bill me automaticlly by the system. There is nothing I can't do to stop this payment.

The only thing I am expecting is get a part of refund from GoDaddy.

I am calm down now, thanks everybody again.

Today I am a hosting newbie, tomorrow I will be a knowledgeble man in hosting industry.
      0 Not allowed!

Kenneth Myhre

Thanks for teaching GoDaddy's TOS to me. I said it's an expensive lesson.

I remember you are doing a great job to review tons of US hosting company, also I know you probably are a rich person from north Europe. You wouldn't understand a poor student's feeling when he gets an un-expected huge bill.
    I'm also a student. I'm not working at all, but I do some voluntary work some hours per week, not getting paid of course.
    But I’m live in Norway, and yes I have over $3000/mo as a student going to school, so I can not complain.

But of course, a $600 bill is some money to me also. So I understand that you are frustrated, but as many other WHT users say, when you upload so large files, you have to expect that you can overuse your BW.

That’s simple math, 10 downloads of a 300 MB file = 3 GB. 10 people are not much on a website per month. So since you are a student, I think you can do the math, and see that you are on thin ice claming that you was suppraised to see that you had used more then 250GB/mo

Good luck with godaddy.com, and I hope they can lower the bill some.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)