Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 309
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Gilroy CA.
    Posts
    464

    Godaddy.com Takes out entire data center

    Godaddy.com has taken down an entire data center. Nectartech.com is down right now and it's because godaddy.com suspended the domain name OF THE DATA CENTER. They are telling us it might be as long as TUESDAY before they fix it.

    I recodred the telephone call with tech support and this is the actually conversation with tech support with long holds and personal information edited out.

    http://marc.perkel.com/audio/godaddy.mp3

    If anyone has any contects at GoDaddy.com please pass this on to them. Hundreds of domains are down. Please spread the word.
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    marc@perkel.com
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,626
    Now that's why I don't use GoDaddy and refuse to even get near them.

    eNom

    This phone call is just pathetic (on GoDaddy's part)...
    Last edited by sgarbus; 01-14-2006 at 11:51 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    342
    I dont use GoDaddy either.

    I assume you have been contacted by the abuse dept now then?
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,886
    I have just listened to the recording. Boy am I glad that I'm not with Godaddy... and I shall certainly make a point of warning other people not to touch with them with a bargepole.

    Please keep us posted!
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    132
    Hi Marc

    I hope you take my suggestion in the best way possible. I understand that an entire datacenter was taken down for reasons that are debatable. However, in terms of the call (thank you for making that link available), I think more could have been done.

    I've worked in a call center for about five years and there is a tendency to NOT help customers when they use an accusational tone. For instance, the poor guy probably doesn't know what the hell's going on and the whole argument was, "YOU took the center down" as opposed to "the company you work for ..." or "nothing personal, but GD...".
    However, by making it personal to the rep, he takes it the issue into his own hands (something clearly reps are not supposed to do) and makes it a question of his own ego. Obviously, his easiest escape is, "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you nor anyone else and I am going to be terminating this conversation".

    Obviously, this isn't going to help anyone.

    It may not seem very different, but you have to look at it from the rep's position. A little courtesy and I guarantee you that your call would've been escalated or at least some proper measure would've been taken. In fact, because of the improper handling, the guy didn't do anything at all...

    Nothing personal against you, Marc. You did a great job by keeping us posted, but I hope you see where I'm going with this. There are other ways of getting your point across.

    Cheers
    Ray

      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Olde Englandshire
    Posts
    382
    nectartech.com seems up to me
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    410
    The domain was suspended due to the fact one of the customer servers in the datacenter was comprimised with a phishing script. The Nectar domain was suspended because one of the hundreds of machines on our network was running that script! Anyway, that problem has long since been fixed, but GD took it upon themselves to shut down our operations anyway. There are a lot more things that depend on a domain to be working. If it doesn't work, a lot of things stop like DNS, mail, ticketing, sales, etc.

    DNS can be cached in places, so depending on where you are it still might work. We are in the process of moving the domains off GD asap so this does not happen again.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    550
    Server not found

    Firefox can't find the server at www.nectartech.com.
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    550
    Just listened to the call. It actually seems like a conflict of interest GoDaddy has placed themselves in. Quite ironic hearing the on-hold hosting advertising and then listening to their rep ask "so is that our fault that your servers aren't secure?" rather than helping you restore your domain name.

    Glad I took my domains away from them.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by internext; 01-14-2006 at 02:15 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that this has happened at the hands of Go Daddy. Several colleagues of mine have had it happen to their clients, and they've done it to a former client of mine. Just shut down the box with no warning, and an admission from Bob Parson's assistant that no TOS violation or security violation occured.

    In my line of work-- domain reselling-- I have no choice but to deal with Go Daddy, but I certainly will never use them for hosting or DNS management. Cases like this solidify that. It's mighty convinient that they take down web hosting enterprises and seem so cool about it while advertising their wares while the affected client is on hold.

    Way to perform business ethics, Mr. Parsons!

    *** EDIT: After listening to the message in its entire nature, I can honestly say no matter how the customer phrased it, the supervisor at the call center deserves to be terminated immediately. It is obvious Go Daddy can take your money at any time, but amazingly can't reverse economic damage that it does. Shame on Go Daddy. Shame.
    Last edited by domaincobby; 01-14-2006 at 02:25 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,357
    Might be worth for future reference having 2 domains as name servers and host them at seperate registrars. If one gets pulled then at least the other NS will respond.

    I know this doesnt help now... but it would help things in the future should something like this happen again.

    I hope you manage to get all resolved as quick as possible. Good luck!
    -- Matthew
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Good suggestion, Matthew. Another suggestion would be a service such as www.backupdns.com (I am not affiliated with them, nor do I currently do business with them), where they offer DNS services on a separate server.

    That is a good thought though... one nameserver domain at Go Daddy, and another at Enom, or something. Plus, it's always good to have nameservers geographically spread, especially when many sites rely on you, or if you do business at all, really.

    It's kind of like the UPS strike... that situation taught many a business to not put all their shipping eggs in one proverbial basket. Same principle applies here.
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    410
    Yes, in this case it would be a darn good idea to have a backup solution and not rely on a single registrar. We were blindsided by this whole thing and never saw it coming. This taught us a BIG lesson, indeed...
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Well, nectar, hopefully your customers will be understanding...as much as they can be in a situation like this. I have a spare server that's open at the moment; it's in the Rackforce DC. If you need any help at all with temporary offloading, get in touch with me.
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    We were blindsided by this whole thing and never saw it coming. This taught us a BIG lesson, indeed...
    Yes indeed. But it's not entirely true that you never saw it coming. In another post here you said you'd been warned by GoDaddy about that situation. That may have been the time to have had a backup nameserver in place already, just in case.

    I'm not sure how any other registrar would have acted much differently. The phishing scam was coming from your nameservers. Was the phishing scam coming from a GoDaddy domain? I think it would have been more appropriate for them to have suspended that account instead of the entire network.

    Maybe they should post on the website, sales and support 24/7, except for abuse department. I think it's crazy that for somebody as large as GoDaddy, that they don't have anyone in abuse 24/7 since they are taking it so seriously, but go home at 5 o'clock (or whatever).

    It's a salutory tale. Don't put anything important with GoDaddy. Maybe that's why NetSol gets away with charging $35.
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,867
    Very interesting. I'm now questioning whether I should be using GoDaddy or not. I am also a reseller of eNom... maybe it's time to switch all of my domain names over.

    Listening to this moron on the phone (From GoDaddy) if we talked like that to a client when I worked for a telecommunications provider (200,000+ clients) we would have been fired the next day.

    So much for customer support...
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Free Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat H
    Listening to this moron on the phone (From GoDaddy) if we talked like that to a client when I worked for a telecommunications provider (200,000+ clients) we would have been fired the next day.

    So much for customer support...
    What about the rudeness of Marc Perkel. Do on to others as you want to be treated.

    Yes, he had every right to be angry but he is taking his anger out in inappropriate ways.

    That is why the Godaddy rep. sounded rude. He was just reacting to the rudeness of the customer. I'm not saying that the Godaddy rep was right in how he was communicating.

    Frankly they were both rude.



    Marc, maybe you should honestly think about what was said before, because it is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infoloud
    Hi Marc

    I hope you take my suggestion in the best way possible. I understand that an entire datacenter was taken down for reasons that are debatable. However, in terms of the call (thank you for making that link available), I think more could have been done.

    I've worked in a call center for about five years and there is a tendency to NOT help customers when they use an accusational tone. For instance, the poor guy probably doesn't know what the hell's going on and the whole argument was, "YOU took the center down" as opposed to "the company you work for ..." or "nothing personal, but GD...".
    However, by making it personal to the rep, he takes it the issue into his own hands (something clearly reps are not supposed to do) and makes it a question of his own ego. Obviously, his easiest escape is, "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you nor anyone else and I am going to be terminating this conversation".

    Obviously, this isn't going to help anyone.

    It may not seem very different, but you have to look at it from the rep's position. A little courtesy and I guarantee you that your call would've been escalated or at least some proper measure would've been taken. In fact, because of the improper handling, the guy didn't do anything at all...

    Nothing personal against you, Marc. You did a great job by keeping us posted, but I hope you see where I'm going with this. There are other ways of getting your point across.

    Cheers
    Ray

    Last edited by macdonaldp; 01-14-2006 at 07:13 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    32,956
    Quote Originally Posted by macdonaldp
    What about the rudeness of Marc Perkel. Do on to others as you want to be treated.

    Yes, he had every right to be angry but he is taking his anger out in inappropriate ways.

    That is why the Godaddy rep. sounded rude. He was just reacting to the rudeness of the customer. I'm not saying that the Godaddy rep was right in how he was communicating.

    Frankly they were both rude.



    Marc, maybe you should honestly think about what was said before, because it is true.
    Well, maybe I need to listen to it again.

    Because I thought Marc was extremely polite and calm, considering the circumstances, until the first tech on the phone said, "I'm not sure what happened."

    He's not sure what happened?!?

    Why even say that?

    Wouldn't a prudent operator say, "One moment sir, I am still looking into this. One moment while I transfer your call to someone that can help you."

    Stating, "I'm not sure what happened," is bound to unravel the calmest of us.

    The actions of godaddy all around are, without question, reprehensible at best.

    I would challenge anyone reading to place themselves in the OP's position and categorically state that you would have acted calmer.

    I would have been irrate.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    946
    Well, Marc saying "YOU took down a whole datacentre" over and over doesn't help the situation at all.
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Well, understood, mac, but the thing is in customer service there is a certain way of handling things. Maybe the customer in this case was a little rude, but considering the circumstances-- an entire datacenter down, it's an understandable reaction.

    Perhaps the Go Daddy supervisor needs basic customer service training-- while it was acceptable to terminate the conversation after informing the customer many times they couldn't do anything at that time-- whether that's right or wrong- it was NOT acceptable for the employee to take a rude tone of voice and act in the manner that he did.

    Were that my employee, his desk would be cleared out by now. As for how Go Daddy as a whole handles abuse issues, that definately needs to be re-examined. Too many datacenters have a "cut and run" approach. That is, the abuse department waits until 4:58 pm to cut the server, and then run out the door at 5:00pm, knowing full well the customer will be down for AT LEAST 15 hours, which is death in this industry.

    All I am saying is that while sometimes this action needs to be taken, if an abuse department is going to cut someone's server, and business, someone needs to be available 24 hours, if even on an on-call basis.
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Gilroy CA.
    Posts
    464
    As you can probably tell it's not the first time I called them and I was nicer the first time. After being down for some time and talking to several morons you start getting more than a little angry. I'm about to post another conversation about this but I'm going to do it in a second thread.

    I personally have never used GoDaddy. I'm just a Nectartech customer and a friend of the owner. Because I'm a skilled ******* I generally have a better chance of getting things done than Nick. They told Nick that it would be down till Teusday. It's back up now, Nick is getting some sleep, and it's time to finish dealing with the issue.

    GoDaddy just lost thousands of customers today. They just don't yet realize it.
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    marc@perkel.com
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,867
    Quote Originally Posted by mperkel
    As you can probably tell it's not the first time I called them and I was nicer the first time. After being down for some time and talking to several morons you start getting more than a little angry. I'm about to post another conversation about this but I'm going to do it in a second thread.

    I personally have never used GoDaddy. I'm just a Nectartech customer and a friend of the owner. Because I'm a skilled ******* I generally have a better chance of getting things done than Nick. They told Nick that it would be down till Teusday. It's back up now, Nick is getting some sleep, and it's time to finish dealing with the issue.

    GoDaddy just lost thousands of customers today. They just don't yet realize it.
    Good job! I'm glad everything is back to normal for you guys.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Free Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Gilroy CA.
    Posts
    464
    Well instead of starting a new thread, here's a second call this morning. It too has hold time edited out.

    http://marc.perkel.com/audio/godaddy2.mp3

    Listen to this and tell me if these are the kind of people you want to do business with.
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    marc@perkel.com
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Well, understandable Mark. Based on past experiences alone, I will never do business with Go Daddy as far as registering any domains with them, or for hosting, but as I said before, unfortunately in the industry I'm in, it's a necessary evil. If it weren't for the 60 day rule, I'd move the domains away as soon as we acquired a Go Daddy domain, but alas, it's not economically sound or feasible to do so at times.

    However, here's something interesting from the whois.sc profile for nectartech:

    IP Location: - Nectartech Services
    Blacklist Status: Clear
    Cached Whois: Cached today
    Whois History: 51 records stored
    Oldest: 2003-06-14
    Newest: 2006-01-14
    Record Type: Domain Name
    Monitor: Monitor or Backorder
    Wildcard search: 'nectartech' or 'nectar tech' in all domains.
    Other TLDs:
    .com .net .org .info .biz .us
    X [5 available domains]
    Name Server: NS1.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM
    ICANN Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
    Created: 2002-02-26
    Expires: 2006-02-26
    Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

    Notice that they publically and loudly proclaim what the allegations are. This is unprofessional on the part of any registrar.

    Nectartech may be online, but the damage has been done, and for all to see. This may be something for your friend to consider.
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,512
    I'm not going to pick apart the initial actions on part of GoDaddy, however, the way they handled the call was more than adequate.

    As a former call center manager, I can tell you for a fact that no remedial action will be taken against the representatives as a result of this charade. If a customer refuses to listen to a rep as to the proper course of action, disconnecting a call is an approved tactic at almost every company i've ever worked with.

    Next time you have a problem with a company, try behaving appropriately and they might actually help you with your situation. Did you seriously believe they were going to run and fetch the President over a domain name? Accusatory and irate behavior will do nothing but dig a hole for yourself.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •