hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Godaddy.com Takes out entire data center
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Godaddy.com Takes out entire data center

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Godaddy.com Takes out entire data center

Godaddy.com has taken down an entire data center. Nectartech.com is down right now and it's because godaddy.com suspended the domain name OF THE DATA CENTER. They are telling us it might be as long as TUESDAY before they fix it.

I recodred the telephone call with tech support and this is the actually conversation with tech support with long holds and personal information edited out.

http://marc.perkel.com/audio/godaddy.mp3

If anyone has any contects at GoDaddy.com please pass this on to them. Hundreds of domains are down. Please spread the word.

marc@perkel.com

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

Now that's why I don't use GoDaddy and refuse to even get near them.

eNom

This phone call is just pathetic (on GoDaddy's part)...

Last edited by sgarbus; 01-14-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old
Web Hosting Guru

I dont use GoDaddy either.

I assume you have been contacted by the abuse dept now then?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

I have just listened to the recording. Boy am I glad that I'm not with Godaddy... and I shall certainly make a point of warning other people not to touch with them with a bargepole.

Please keep us posted!

Old
WHT Addict

Hi Marc

I hope you take my suggestion in the best way possible. I understand that an entire datacenter was taken down for reasons that are debatable. However, in terms of the call (thank you for making that link available), I think more could have been done.

I've worked in a call center for about five years and there is a tendency to NOT help customers when they use an accusational tone. For instance, the poor guy probably doesn't know what the hell's going on and the whole argument was, "YOU took the center down" as opposed to "the company you work for ..." or "nothing personal, but GD...".
However, by making it personal to the rep, he takes it the issue into his own hands (something clearly reps are not supposed to do) and makes it a question of his own ego. Obviously, his easiest escape is, "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you nor anyone else and I am going to be terminating this conversation".

Obviously, this isn't going to help anyone.

It may not seem very different, but you have to look at it from the rep's position. A little courtesy and I guarantee you that your call would've been escalated or at least some proper measure would've been taken. In fact, because of the improper handling, the guy didn't do anything at all...

Nothing personal against you, Marc. You did a great job by keeping us posted, but I hope you see where I'm going with this. There are other ways of getting your point across.

Cheers
Ray

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

nectartech.com seems up to me

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

The domain was suspended due to the fact one of the customer servers in the datacenter was comprimised with a phishing script. The Nectar domain was suspended because one of the hundreds of machines on our network was running that script! Anyway, that problem has long since been fixed, but GD took it upon themselves to shut down our operations anyway. There are a lot more things that depend on a domain to be working. If it doesn't work, a lot of things stop like DNS, mail, ticketing, sales, etc.

DNS can be cached in places, so depending on where you are it still might work. We are in the process of moving the domains off GD asap so this does not happen again.

Old
Got Internet?

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.nectartech.com.

Old
Got Internet?

Just listened to the call. It actually seems like a conflict of interest GoDaddy has placed themselves in. Quite ironic hearing the on-hold hosting advertising and then listening to their rep ask "so is that our fault that your servers aren't secure?" rather than helping you restore your domain name.

Glad I took my domains away from them.

Good luck!

Last edited by internext; 01-14-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old
Disabled

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that this has happened at the hands of Go Daddy. Several colleagues of mine have had it happen to their clients, and they've done it to a former client of mine. Just shut down the box with no warning, and an admission from Bob Parson's assistant that no TOS violation or security violation occured.

In my line of work-- domain reselling-- I have no choice but to deal with Go Daddy, but I certainly will never use them for hosting or DNS management. Cases like this solidify that. It's mighty convinient that they take down web hosting enterprises and seem so cool about it while advertising their wares while the affected client is on hold.

Way to perform business ethics, Mr. Parsons!

*** EDIT: After listening to the message in its entire nature, I can honestly say no matter how the customer phrased it, the supervisor at the call center deserves to be terminated immediately. It is obvious Go Daddy can take your money at any time, but amazingly can't reverse economic damage that it does. Shame on Go Daddy. Shame.

Last edited by domaincobby; 01-14-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old
Web Hosting Master

Might be worth for future reference having 2 domains as name servers and host them at seperate registrars. If one gets pulled then at least the other NS will respond.

I know this doesnt help now... but it would help things in the future should something like this happen again.

I hope you manage to get all resolved as quick as possible. Good luck!

Old
Disabled

Good suggestion, Matthew. Another suggestion would be a service such as www.backupdns.com (I am not affiliated with them, nor do I currently do business with them), where they offer DNS services on a separate server.

That is a good thought though... one nameserver domain at Go Daddy, and another at Enom, or something. Plus, it's always good to have nameservers geographically spread, especially when many sites rely on you, or if you do business at all, really.

It's kind of like the UPS strike... that situation taught many a business to not put all their shipping eggs in one proverbial basket. Same principle applies here.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Yes, in this case it would be a darn good idea to have a backup solution and not rely on a single registrar. We were blindsided by this whole thing and never saw it coming. This taught us a BIG lesson, indeed...

Old
Disabled

Well, nectar, hopefully your customers will be understanding...as much as they can be in a situation like this. I have a spare server that's open at the moment; it's in the Rackforce DC. If you need any help at all with temporary offloading, get in touch with me.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
We were blindsided by this whole thing and never saw it coming. This taught us a BIG lesson, indeed...
Yes indeed. But it's not entirely true that you never saw it coming. In another post here you said you'd been warned by GoDaddy about that situation. That may have been the time to have had a backup nameserver in place already, just in case.

I'm not sure how any other registrar would have acted much differently. The phishing scam was coming from your nameservers. Was the phishing scam coming from a GoDaddy domain? I think it would have been more appropriate for them to have suspended that account instead of the entire network.

Maybe they should post on the website, sales and support 24/7, except for abuse department. I think it's crazy that for somebody as large as GoDaddy, that they don't have anyone in abuse 24/7 since they are taking it so seriously, but go home at 5 o'clock (or whatever).

It's a salutory tale. Don't put anything important with GoDaddy. Maybe that's why NetSol gets away with charging $35.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GoDaddy Listing 2014-01-10 22:48:53
GoDaddy Listing 2014-01-10 22:48:52
GoDaddy Listing 2014-01-10 22:48:52