Thread: DNS Confusion.

DNS Confusion.

Hi.

I have been reading up on DNS recently, and would like to clear up a few points. For the record, I am trying to set up 2 webservers (1 website hosted) the second will be a working mirror of the first.

When you enter a DNS into the domain settings, which is used first? They are listed as primary and seconday, so I would assume the primary is used unless it is unreachable. Does this differ from when there are multiple servers listed in the DNS, which I thionk are accessed randomly? Also, someone suggested to me that both DNSs could be used within the same session, so would this mean both webservers could be used within the same session, making it impossible to trace user's actions (unless using referer details maybe).

The DNS software (BIND) can be placed on the same server as apache & other software. The BIND config would then contain the IP of the server it is on (and the second server, but not necessary). The apache config would then contain the details regarding what directory to send each user to depending on the domain?

If more than 1 mail servers are entered into the DNS, I cannot see a problem with outgoing mail, as it doesnt matter what server sends the email, however incoming could be a problem if mail is sent to 1 server, but a different server is returned when someone wants to read it. Some kind of synchronisation would be needed.

I have other questions, but thats all I can think of for now!!
    Thank you for any info you could give me!
    Carl.
    Last edited by Carlton; 01-03-2006 at 06:06 PM.

For name resolution primary DNS server will be used first and the secondary name server is used if the primary one is not available...

BIND can be setup in the same server where the websites are hosted too... That is not a problem at all...

Regarding the mail servers accroding to the preference the mails will be sent and received if you have more than one MX record in the DNS settings...
    Waxdoll
    Quite, Cool & Adjustable, But Dangerous
    I Love Microsoft