Gaming Server Help -- No Idea -- COD2

Hello,

I am looking to set up a server for my clan in COD2, so there would only be one server running.

What type of computer should I be looking for if I am looking for 32 slots? 64 slots?

Thank You and also if there is anyone that would recommend some companies it would be great.

Bogdan

http://LightSpeedGaming.com
    LightSpeed Gaming is currently having a special for COD2 servers at $2.00/slot.

Although they used to be one of our competitors, they do an awesome job. I know both the owners and have played with them in the past. They've been around for almost 2 years now. I think they also developed their own control panel, http://raptor.light-speed.com which looks awesome.

I can manage my own servers I have extensive knowledge in Linux and Windows.... I just need some hardware specs for 32 slot and 64 slot... Then i can get a server from like layeredtech or hivelocity and set it up there... (maybe get a panel)

thanks for the info tho 2/slot is a bit much

Are you thinking of just hosting (1) 32 Slot and/or (1) 64 Slot and asking what specs are required for them, or are you thinking of hosting multiple ones.

https://www.layeredtech.com/orderFra...ageID=897&g=13 would be sufficient enough for your needs.

BTW: $2.00/slot is under the norm for gamehosts so actually, it's not expensive at all. If it was another gamehost offering $2.00/slot, I would be worried.

I am thinking of hosting 1 32 slot or/and(if there is room) 64 slot

BTW they need to be public so i donno if it increases the requirements

also ... is linux or windows a better fit?

A Single P4 with 1GB Ram should do you fine for one instance of COD. The OS you choose should be the one you are most comfortable with.

$2 / slot? It's great when GSP's start getting into price wars instead of actually trying to make their product better by offering something the others cannot... The only thing they have in common is they all now have to cram twice as many servers on each machine just to draw a small profit.. Bad for the GSP and bad for the customer..

Quote Originally Posted by CyanoX
    http://LightSpeedGaming.com
    LightSpeed Gaming is currently having a special for COD2 servers at $2.00/slot.

Although they used to be one of our competitors, they do an awesome job. I know both the owners and have played with them in the past. They've been around for almost 2 years now. I think they also developed their own control panel, http://raptor.light-speed.com which looks awesome.

Thanks Cyanox for the comment

I would say for a COD2 32 man server a single p4 will work fine.

But over 32 I would recommend AMD 64 bit 3800+ and even higher.

For the OS, Fedora core 4 works like a charm with COD2

Stephane

Ive got two 40 slot bf1942 servers (that is two servers and two managers, servers are almost always full.), running on a p4 2.4 with 1 gig ram...I would definately recommend at least a p4 (no celeron...you will regret it), or an amd athlon.

Those specs are just to give you an idea, both the servers run flawlessly and without any lag (adnc.com datacenter). Bandwidth shouldnt be a problem, the standard 1000gig should be fine for a 64 slot(even if its always full).

Oh and I prefer gentoo...but to each his own .
    ----------
    Some companies I can recomend from experience are 15minuteservers.com (nac.net in NJ), and server4you.com (St. Louis)...both have impeccable support.

We have always colocated a couple cabinets on the westcoast so I dont know much about companies there.
    Cole@MammothGames.com
    MammothGames Support

DistroDisks.com <--- Coming Soon, Linux Distros (ISOs)

Thanks all for the feedback... are any of you maybe able to help me through of setting the server up? I dont quite know what i am doing with a game server yet.

Go on over to fpsadmin.com There are a bunch of tutorials and guides on how to setup a COD2 server.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich
    Go on over to fpsadmin.com There are a bunch of tutorials and guides on how to setup a COD2 server.

thanks a bunch