Need help to choose a right dedicated server provider

I want to start my own web hosting business and have 2 years relevant experince as a tech person in an ISP company doing webhosting business. Could someone help me to choose a right dedicated server provider that suites for the people like me who are just going to start. I want a company who gives technical support when I need it ..and ensure 99 % uptime. I can spend $150/Month.

DedicatedNOW - http://www.dedicatednow.com

Their support and professionalism is unbeatable. You really have to admire their trouble ticket response times and level of technical support!
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Do you care what network you are on? What type of server are you lookingstart with? Celeron, P4, Xeon?
    NEW Hosting solution coming soon....

I would prefer to go for P4 2.6 to 3.0 .. Connection speed 100MBS. . Windows 2003 Std.

I would suggest starting with a smaller package for your needs. Start off with lower bandwidth since you can always upgrade.

Something like P4, 1GB Ram, 80GB HD, 600-1000GB bandwidth can be found for anywhere from $99-$200 depending on what type of network you are on and weather or not the server is managed.

Will you be managing the server yourself?

Yes offcourse... I have managed ISP servers for more then 2 years. I would prefer to get unmanaged server...

Do you care what type of network you are on?

I would suggest Bocacom.net for a tier-1 Network. They are located on Verio's tier-1 network which has a backbone of over 425 providers, so you can;t go wrong there.

If you don't need tier-1 I would suggest something like ev1.net or Hivelocity.

Do you need a control panel or anything like that?

Hivelocity is out of question... I have tried to contact with them many times and each time Live person replies sales is not available at the moment and contact you as soon as they come ...please leave your number and email. It is happening from last 5 days.. I guess they wiill do the same if I rent a server from them.. So it would be better I dont go to them... \

Obviously I will need a Control Panel. Can you also recommend me some good panel .. Thanks for your advise.

General Info
    Chat start time Dec 14, 2005 4:01:34 AM ESTChat end time Dec 14, 2005 4:08:55 AM ESTDuration (actual chatting time) 00:07:20Operator
    Below is the transcript of chat I had with one of their Live person..

Vick R.
    Chat Transcript
    info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    info: You are now chatting with 'Vick R.'
    Vick R.: Hello. Welcome to our live chat service. How may I assist you?
    saim: I want to rent a dedicated server on 6 month contract basis
    Vick R.: ok
    saim: Here are the specificaion I need
    saim: P4 2.8 WITH HT
    saim: 1 gb RAM
    saim: 2*40 =80 GB Hard disk
    saim: 12 IP
    saim: bandwidth 1000 gb
    saim: Please quote the reasonable price
    Vick R.: Saim the sales guys are not in at the moment so I will forward these requirements to our sales dept. Sales will contact you soon with all the details
    Vick R.: let me know your full name , email ID and phone no.please
    saim: Ok
    saim: Saim
    saim: [email protected]
    saim: how long sales will take to contact with me
    saim: I want to get server on urgent basis
    saim: Are you there ?
    Vick R.: you will be contacted soon by sales
    saim: Thanks
    saim: Have a Good night
    saim: bye
    Vick R.: welcome
    Vick R.: Thank you for chatting with us. To help improve our service, please use the Exit Survey to rate the assistance you just received.
    Vick R.: after closing the chat session

I'm also looking for a host if I can find a good Christmas special or something.

10 MB/S would probably be fine, but my main concern is with downtime. I've got a couple clients lined up, but the condition is that downtime is virtually non-existant. I'm with a hosting company right now that I like, but I've had far too much downtime over the last year.

I'm interested in knowing the price difference between managed and un-managed. I've had an un-managed dedicated server for the last year, and I've only had 1-2 problems besides downtime. Part of me wants to manage it myself and save the money, but if I can find a company with affordable rates, I'd just as soon have the peace-of-mind about it.

What would you recommend? I was considering Suberb Servers in Seattle, but they're not managed. My primary requirement is virtually no downtime. Who offers that at the best rates?

Rick

USA, for me.

server available in usa

datacenters available in USA you can specify this upon ordering.

Well, I will suggest you take a look at calpop.com as well. My personal experience with them is quite good.

For manage hosting, try rackspace.com .

Blessed.

Ok saksher I will also consider rackspace. TheHstvGuy .... Guess what.. .... I just received an email from Calpop sales representative regarding dedicated server inquery... Lets see who give me some good deal with better services...

Is there anyone can also recommend me some good Control Panel.

Quote Originally Posted by smalik1
    Ok saksher I will also consider rackspace. TheHstvGuy .... Guess what.. .... I just received an email from Calpop sales representative regarding dedicated server inquery... Lets see who give me some good deal with better services...

Is there anyone can also recommend me some good Control Panel.
    You don't have much of a choice.

Since you're going with windows.

You have a choice of:

Plesk
    Helm
    H-Sphere

Out of the 3, I'd pick Plesk if you're doing this for a personal site.

H-Sphere if you're doing this to become a webhost.

Well, i would like to know about the Linux server , which dc would be most recommended, rackspace simply out of question their price is double of any server available. A Single AMD Athlon 64 with 1 GB DDR RAM and 80 GB EIDE Hard Drive woulc cost 400 USD per month. I would believe that would not include cpanel license ya?

Is that someone that really got a server from rackspace, would like to heard from you guy. is the server really worth for that money? btw their 100% uptime is pretty conviencing.

DirectAdmin seem aslo a highly recommed control panel, beside cpanel. Do you agree with that? Any comment from the people had used both?