Liquidweb experience

After some payment issues with The Planet (they won't accept bank wire) I started looking around for another provider. I've choosed Liquidweb mainly because of good feedback here. So I got a $350 dual xeon server a month ago.
    Their site http://www.liquidweb.com/dedicated/managed/ says a lot of things, lets go thru them:

Application Security Updates - they installed old version of APF in first place and they didn't even enable it

Service Monitoring and Failed Service Restart/Repair- first time we shut down services on server they didn't notify us. I sent ticket to ask what's with monitoring and they said they will include us in their monitoring now. Next time i shut down apache on purpose for 45 min and there's no any action from LW. I open a ticket and ask why they don't do something and i get reply that monitoring showed server was off for 10 min then on for 5 and it happens often with many customers because of load and they don't consider it a problem. Just to note that apache didn't work at all for full 45 min. So much for monitoring and login to server to restart the service.

Daily System Security Audit - never saw a login to server from them in a month (only when i asked for some help on 64 bit apps)

Firewall Installation and Configuration - yeah right, too bad its an old version and is not enabled by default

Managed Off Server Network Backup - didn't get info with wellcome mail, still waiting for it

I won't complain about a blackout yesterday. These things happen.

I usually don't need any support or very little from my provider, but i choose LiquidWeb for monitoring and full managed service in case something goes wrong i have a company to rely on. But at the moment I'm not so confident in LiquidWeb anymore. I'll stay with them for a while and i'm really hoping these are just a few of unlucky events.

That sounds like some bad luck to me. I've been very happy with LiquidWeb and their service so far. Also about the network backup I had to open a ticket and ask them to activate it so you may have to as well.

Hope things get better for you.

The servers *may* be monitored - at least that is what Liquidweb claimed when we asked. However, if that is the case then they do NOT take any action if the server/monitored services are down.

Do your own monitoring and you'll be fine.
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

princo did a deep research and we actually have the SAME experiences..
    What they *claim* is different from what happened

If we pay for fully managed service and have to oursource everything, like andren said, then why should we? lol

andren
    http://www.liquidweb.com/dedicated/managed/ clearly states Service Monitoring and Failed Service Restart/Repair.

As you can see in bellow statement there is NO "maybe". I do have another monitoring, i use alertra. But if the apache or something else happens at 5am i want them to check into it. I'm not asking for them to compile apache for me, create domains and such. I have admin for that. But i need them to enable my server to function 24/7. If I'm going to pay another company to do that then i can get cheap unmanaged server.

This is from the wellcome mail
    Our monitoring system checks to make sure certain services
    are running on your server every 5 minutes, and if it
    senses that anything is down, it will immediately page us
    through Instant Messenger as well as email. We can then log
    into your server and restart the service, or if there is a
    problem with your server we can fix it and get it back
    online right away.

If you have CPanel on your server, then we will monitor the
    following services by default: CPanel, FTP, HTTP, POP3,
    SSH, SMTP, Webmail, and Ping (if the server is up). If you
    do not have CPanel, then by default we will monitor the
    server to make sure it is up only with Ping. If you would
    like additional services monitored, please contact us and
    let us know what you would like monitored on your server.
    If you install a firewall on your server that prevents
    access to servers on our network, please notify us
    immediately as our monitoring system will think your
    services are down if it can not connect to them.

A second system health monitor was also installed on your
    server. It is a system developed internally which
    reports back to us vital statistics that we need to keep
    your server running at full performance. It reports back
    things like disk space usage on your partitions, server
    load, memory and swap usage, etc. Currently, this is only
    available on servers running Linux with CPanel, and as it
    develops will be available on other operating systems and
    configurations. If you have any questions about our
    monitoring system and procedures, please contact us.

Quote Originally Posted by princo
    andren
    http://www.liquidweb.com/dedicated/managed/ clearly states Service Monitoring and Failed Service Restart/Repair.

As you can see in bellow statement there is NO "maybe". I do have another monitoring, i use alertra. But if the apache or something else happens at 5am i want them to check into it. I'm not asking for them to compile apache for me, create domains and such. I have admin for that. But i need them to enable my server to function 24/7. If I'm going to pay another company to do that then i can get cheap unmanaged server.
    We had several short outages after we set up the server until everything was stable and to our wishes. During that time we had ocasional apache failures. Liquidweb did NEVER restart apache in any of those cases, the longest downtime was roughly 45 minutes without any intervention from LiquidWeb. So you need an outside monitor and someone on call 24/7.

We actually had several tickets related to those outages and their monitoring, they always claimed to monitor several services (ping http etc...), but our experience suggests otherwise (at least for http, never had the server down for a longer period of time). We also requested to see some of their monitoring logs/data, never got to see any.

Don't get me wrong: Liquidweb is good, the network speed is excellent. We never had a large issue - except for the supposed monitoring and the long-lasting effects of the recent power failure. So, to sum up: don't belive everything they claim - and even more important - don't depend on those claims.

It seems that best place to get a server is layeredtech. Those guys simply build a server and connect it to power and network and you're on your own. But at least you know what you are paying for. I've been more than satisfied with them.

I'm sick of companies that promise a lot and do not deliver it. So now I need to spend another $20 - $50 a month for extra services.

very suprised to hear this. why would a company offer proactive server monitoring if they don't actually follow up and do it?? it's blatant false advertising if you ask me!

sounds familiar to some companies that advertise remote reboot ports but never provide them.

A few things to note in regards to the services we provide that you mentioned:

We do perform daily security audits - they are automated, which is why you do not see us logging in. They run as scripts and through our internal monitoring system. If there is an issue which requires a tech to look into it (ie. possible compromise) then we get alerted and can do so. We also do install a firewall, and it is enabled. No, we do not install the latest version of APF, nor do we claim to. We install a version which we know has been stable for us, just like most major Linux distributions do for their applications. The most reason version is not necessarily the most stable.

We do perform service monitoring and restarts. Our techs do them pretty much constantly. We don't contact you when a service is down, we just restart them. I'm not sure why your httpd was down for so long, it may be possible you were not added to our monitoring system, or the like, but I wouldn't consider it a normal occurence.

If you want to PM your account number I would like to look into it and make sure you were sent your backup information.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Quote Originally Posted by andren
    The servers *may* be monitored - at least that is what Liquidweb claimed when we asked. However, if that is the case then they do NOT take any action if the server/monitored services are down.

Do your own monitoring and you'll be fine.
    Then what's the point? That would be like providing backups but with no capability to restore anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    Then what's the point?
    'Managed' may not (and should not) be the same as monitored. You get excellent connectivity and speed. Liquidweb provides you with backup knowledge in case you have 'grey' areas. That alone is worth the price. And: We don't have a problem - whether they do or do not monitor the services - we happily do that ourselves.

Would we choose Liquidweb again? Anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidwebZac
    A few things to note in regards to the services we provide that you mentioned:

We do perform daily security audits - they are automated, which is why you do not see us logging in. They run as scripts and through our internal monitoring system. If there is an issue which requires a tech to look into it (ie. possible compromise) then we get alerted and can do so. We also do install a firewall, and it is enabled. No, we do not install the latest version of APF, nor do we claim to. We install a version which we know has been stable for us, just like most major Linux distributions do for their applications. The most reason version is not necessarily the most stable.

We do perform service monitoring and restarts. Our techs do them pretty much constantly. We don't contact you when a service is down, we just restart them. I'm not sure why your httpd was down for so long, it may be possible you were not added to our monitoring system, or the like, but I wouldn't consider it a normal occurence.

If you want to PM your account number I would like to look into it and make sure you were sent your backup information.
    There are indeed some scripts. That's nice As for firewall, it was disabled until I enabled it. As for version i remember it wasn't one of lastest 3 vers.
    Anyway these are all small things.
    We got backup info and new IP's as soon as i asked for them. Pretty fast respons to tickets.

I asked about monitoring twice via tickets so far and I was told server is monitored.
    Only thing that troubles me is monitoring system. I was really looking for a company that could do a restart or some other minor fixes to keep everything running 24/7. I know we can get such service from another company but i prefer everything to be under one roof. In fact I wouldn't care too much about it if it wasn't presented so impresivly by LiquidWeb. One can only wonder what if other promises are like monitoring promise?

Since this is not yet a production server i typed A to apache config file and stoped it so it can't start. it's been 20 min since and apache is still down.
    NO TICKET, NO LOGIN TO SERVER, NO ANY RESPONSE FROM LIQUIDWEB

35 min and httpd still down
    i'm starting apache myself now, even if the server is monitored, 35+ min is not acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by princo
    35 min and httpd still down
    i'm starting apache myself now, even if the server is monitored, 35+ min is not acceptable
    Hehe I had pretty much the same experience as you with Liquidweb. First the server wasn't being monitored, and they said they added it to the list to be monitored. Why isn't this done as part of the initial setup? Then even after it being "monitored" it was down and no one did anything! I ended up cancelling and getting my money back. I think I told them just that! This is totally unacceptable!

Zac,

Can you respond to this issue regarding server monitoring? I am brand new to Liquid Web myself, and would like to here your feelings on this issue.

Do I need to start a pims on this for my own server?

Thanks for your input!

Zac said to send him PM, but I never got reply back...

wayneg,

See my response earlier in the thread.

princo,

I did make sure your server is now being actively monitored in our system. I thought I PM'd you back to let you know, but I guess I didn't.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510