Web Hosting on Dedicated

Me and my friends currently have site5 as our webhoster(shared). But we plan to buy and migrate on a unmetered dedicated on orangefiber.com because so far, thats the best deal that we saw(if you know better deals, please post it here or message me). But the problem is, we all know nothing about dedicated servers and setting it up. So i was wondering if we buy the celereon package+cpanel from orangefiber, will webhosting will be just (shared) site5, ****** or godaddy? I mean, will it just be 1-click hosting, easy? Or do we need to install and configure many other things such as apache,mysql, and phpmyadmin?

Thank You.

If your new to the business I would definatly recomend getting some type of control panel such as Cpanel or Plesk, this will give you a GUI interface instead of a shell prompt which will make your life much easier.
    Ryan Dubois
    Director of Sales
    Hostbusters Web Solutions
    www.thehostbusters.com

unfortuneatly if you don't know anything about managing a server it's a very big jump, you should look into hiring someone to manage your server.

it is not going to be one-click easy

I also don't see why you'd need to jump to an unmetered server right away. You should probably stick with a plan that has a bandwidth limit on a 100mbps port, and then upgrade to unmetered as you go. A starting company won't nearly need or use that much bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by DuBz
    If your new to the business I would definatly recomend getting some type of control panel such as Cpanel or Plesk, this will give you a GUI interface instead of a shell prompt which will make your life much easier.
    Yes, we will get the package that comes with Cpanel. So i hope things will get much easier.

Fellow Site5 Refugee

I recently made the switch from site5 (same username on the forums) to a dedicated machine at LayeredTech, and have been very happy with it. They always have sales listed in the "hosting offers section". I went with 2x80gb (1 for backup), 512mb ram, and 1tb throughput.

To closely mimic the setup at site5 I went with centos and panel/whm, apache 1.3x. But, I decided to go ahead an upgrade to , php5 (instead of 4) and mySql4.1 (instead of 4)

It took me about 3 days to get the server to a point where email and apache were rock solid, had a firewall setup, and I was ready to host customers.

Transferring cpanel accounts from site5 is a breeze (it varies ALOT based on where you are transferring the accounts from). But I had 0 problems on transferring my clients (old and new).

I've also set up EXIM to run on separate IPs to limit blacklisting to individual clients.

If you want more info on my setup, the transfer process, etc, let me know.

-Jason
    Last edited by MysticServer; 12-13-2005 at 09:45 AM.
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

Also keep in mind a vanilla server with cpanel still needs setup done.

exim needs to be configured.
    clamav or another antivirus.
    APF - or another firewall.

just to scratch the surface.

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.