Question how "open source" should I make my project?

I've been working on a php based content manager for the past 3 years. I would love to release it and have people use it. I want as many people as possible to get some use out of the code I spent so much time on. my biggest problem (besides finishing the code) is I'm not sure "how" to release it. I wrote my own installer and even a source code encryptor, but I'm not sure if I want to encrypt the code. I'd probably get fewer people using the system if it's encrypted, and it would make it more difficult for other developers to add to the code or find bugs or make my code better. but on the other hand, I've put so much work into the project, I don't want to risk anyone ripping off any of it. so I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping someone here can make a good enough argument in either direction that it would make up my mind. help me friends.
    Matthew Kemmerer
    Mattsoft.net

Quote Originally Posted by mattsoftnet
    I've been working on a php based content manager for the past 3 years. I would love to release it and have people use it. I want as many people as possible to get some use out of the code I spent so much time on. my biggest problem (besides finishing the code) is I'm not sure "how" to release it. I wrote my own installer and even a source code encryptor, but I'm not sure if I want to encrypt the code. I'd probably get fewer people using the system if it's encrypted, and it would make it more difficult for other developers to add to the code or find bugs or make my code better. but on the other hand, I've put so much work into the project, I don't want to risk anyone ripping off any of it. so I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping someone here can make a good enough argument in either direction that it would make up my mind. help me friends.
    I suppose it’s a balancing act - releasing anything with viewable source risks that it'll be ripped off. The question is whether the number of people using it and benefiting from it outweighs those that try and rip you off.

All of the products I’ve released or been involved with in the past couple of years have all be encrypted in some way with some form of licensing built in. I don’t think there is anything wrong with encrypting a few files to allow you to track the products usage while releasing the rest as viewable source. This would allow you to ensure that you know where each copy is being run (if you want to do so), prevent people from renaming it and then selling/distributing it, but still allow legitimate users the ability to modify the vast majority of your script.
    Last edited by tickedon; 12-12-2005 at 03:29 AM.
    Alasdair

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    I suppose itís a balancing act - releasing anything with viewable source risks that it'll be ripped off. The question is whether the number of people using it and benefiting from it outweighs those that try and rip you off.

All of the products Iíve released or been involved with in the past couple of years have all be encrypted in some way with some form of licensing built in. I donít think there is anything wrong with encrypting a few files to allow you to track the products usage while releasing the rest as viewable source. This would allow you to ensure that you know where each copy is being run (if you want to do so), prevent people from renaming it and then selling/distributing it, but still allow legitimate users the ability to modify the vast majority of your script.
    I like that idea, encrypting only a few files, including the licensing system. thanks
    Matthew Kemmerer
    Mattsoft.net