Exclamation I need someone with a 100mbps server at nocster - help.

I am thinking of getting a 100mbps unmetered from nocster.net.

However, I am worried about how much their bandwidth is oversold.

What I need you to answer is:

Would I be realistically be able to push over 5TB outbound?

I am not looking for a sales rep or anyone related to the company to reply.

As their website says:

100MBPS UNMETERED DETAILS
    Each 100MBPS UNMETERED server is connected to a Full-Duplex 10/100MBPS switch port, which is connected to a bandwidth pool shared by all 100MBPS UNMETERED clientele. 100MBPS UNMETERED servers on average can transfer between 3000GB-5000GB per month outbound and 15000GB-20000GB inbound. The 100MBPS bandwidth allocation is not guaranteed/dedicated, and is supplied on a "best-effort" basis---which may result in some slowdowns during peak traffic times.
    NO OVERAGE FEES REGARDLESS OF USAGE.
    This "best-effort" scares me.

FDC has a "crap" rep with me, atleast that is what I have gathered from several forums and whatever, but I do not see that nocster has necessarily a bad rep, good rep, or even a rep around here.

Also I don't trust their test file. I know some times companies put it on their metered servers etc, so if someone could post a test file from their server that I could get that would be good (I pulled ~3M/s from their test file)

I would be expecting to constantly push 20Mb/s+ during peak.

Thanks

PS. Since the search is rather......bad...since the 3.5 upgrade and if I missed a nocster topic that someone can point me to, that would be good too.

Both Nocster and FDC we are pushing 13-14Mpbs.

If you want to constantly pushing 20mbps, I think you should get 30mbps or at least 20mbps dedicated bw. If your peak is North America's low usage period maybe you can get away with it but not otherwise.

Hm...

Is FDC or Nocster more reliable network wise? And then support wise? Uptime?

Thanks.

No comments on Nocsters' support as no use yet I think.

FDC as long as your ticket is clearly within their support boundary, they are pretty fast, reboot between 15-45 minutes, HW replace withing 30minutes which is very impressive.

Both network seems to be reasonable to me, maybe I did not monitor so closely.

Do you have a test file that I could pull/ping from both?

PM it if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L
    Do you have a test file that I could pull/ping from both?
    Unable as they are clients' servers I manage.

I know nothing of nocster personally, but just looking at what you said, and looking at their prices (100 Mb/s unmetered for $150.00-$170) they must be overselling. As has been pointed out before in many other threads, the cheapest a datacenter can get 100 Mb/s for is $1000/Mo. Therefore, if they are selling it at $150/Mo, that means for them to pay for that 100 Mb/s it has to be shared between 7 people and then more to make a profit. That's if it's on strictly Cogent bandwidth. Not only that, but then you have to take into account the cost of support, network infrastructure and management and the fact that they are a business in it to make a profi. I can't speak as to their network or their network management, but based off of common sense, it has to be oversold. I personally don't understand how people can expect to get something that cost the datacenter thousands of dollars a month for less than $200/Mo. But, then again, that's me.

Ive known people to get cogent for 8$/mbit. Insane

Where? From cogent or a datacenter that is overselling?
    James Lumby

heh I can't even count the # of times this $8/mbps pricing has been discussed

I have but a 10mbit server with Nocster, but it's been a great service for me thus far. I've been able to sustain 1.26MB/s over 11GB from my old host without hiccups, but this was during Australian peak. I am not sure how it would fare during US peak, I have not tested.

If for some reason you want a test file on my 10mbit server, feel free to ask. I hope this helps.

An important note, on FDCSERVERS, we can read:

Bandwidth usage abuse

FDCservers.net LLC pro-actively monitors backbone utilization in order to ensure that bandwidth resources are equally shared. FDCservers.net LLC has no objections against burstable usage of the 100Mbit port however customers that have sustained usage of 15Mbit (outbound only) or more may be asked to upgrade to a dedicated service plan or may have their port capped to 10Mbit

Do any of you knows if there is a such policy on nocster?