Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Very bad 13 year old host!

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so I appologise if I have made a mistake!

I used to be a customer of pinpointhosting.com and i'm posting this to warn any of you who may come across this host, especially on ebay.co.uk, NOT to even consider purchasing a reseller from them.

I did not find this host on ebay, and I would not buy from ebay because there are some very poor hosts out there, however, I know this guy often advertises reseller accounts on ebay and many people may find his deals worth trying.

Here is a quick summary of why I suggest you do not go anywhere near this host:

Pinpoint is an unregistered hosting 'company' ran by one person, who after some research turns out to be only 13 years old.

The server:
    - A Budget server hosted in America and managed by people in Germany. And this 'company' is UK based?
    - Celeron processor, really designed for home use, had trouble with high load when conducting simple tasks such as backup tasks!
    - Dodgey hard drive failed many times before, caused alot of problems with files being lost etc.
    - The backup drive was once apparently lost in a replacement process, therefore all the backups were also conveniently lost.

The deals:
    - His deals are advertised to all YOUR customers - via cpanel news, emails etc
    - Nasty deals such as reseller accounts for 5 suddenly pop up when you have just bought one for 15 the other day which was supposidle a one-time only offer.
    - False claims are used in adverts such as 'many more features'
    - Hidden charges such as custom nameservers costing 10 extra, this should have been stated (I have found most hosts to give this for free).

The support:
    - Poor grammar, literally sounds like your chatting to a 13 year old over msn.
    - One-man support, often offline or away, if he doesnt know the answer which is most likely, he will turn to his server management who are all German and often give the wrong answers or cannot understand your question!
    - Support can take a long time, not reliable especially when needed in emergency, such as the frequent downtime!

The reliability:
    - Many problems before, often down atleast once per week downtime's all logged by server monitor, went as low as 85% uptime once)
    - Different excuses each time for downtime, pathetic replies, no refund, no appologies.

The website:
    - STOLEN template, most pages do not work, very little information
    - Host obviously cannot be bothered to complete/finish
    - Misleading and false information
    - Stolen images and text (ebay adverts are FULL of stolen content too)

There is SO MUCH MORE I could write, but I think all this is MORE than enough to give reason to warn you DO NOT use this host under any circumstances.
      0 Not allowed!

Administrative Contact:
    sellers, Lewis Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by Whois Source
    Pinpointhosting
    158 longfield falmouth
    Thorpe Thewles
    cornwall tr114st
    United Kingdom
    Have you tried calling his dad?

Seriously though, I won't trust 13 year olds with my website. No matter how mature and how different they are from other kids they claim to be...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HS-Jonny
    he will turn to his server management who are all German and often give the wrong answers or cannot understand your question!
    That made to laugh

You might need to post your website you have or had with this person to support the review
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website
      0 Not allowed!

i woudnt be so suprised if this where true just another hosting company
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.
      0 Not allowed!

Is it just me, or is it almost a priority that ALL unlimited diskspace/bandwidth hosts MUST sell on ebay?

I'm just kicking myself laughing at how these hosts are popping up and screwing people.
      0 Not allowed!

Wait... - what made you even choose such a host?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    Have you tried calling his dad?

Seriously though, I won't trust 13 year olds with my website. No matter how mature and how different they are from other kids they claim to be...
    This is indeed a very good idea, and I suggest you give it a shot.

I have done this many times, not with people I have bought from, but to the parents of script kiddies hosted on my network. They have always been very interested to hear what damage their little darling has caused, and how much they will be paying me to put it right.

Dan
      0 Not allowed!

Is it just me, or is it almost a priority that ALL unlimited diskspace/bandwidth hosts MUST sell on ebay?
    Well, if the company ends up offering unlimited everything, then ebay is a market to advertise just like any other.

In a place where everyone is looking for a bargain IMO it's no surprise that unlimited everything packages have become commonplace. Heck, the budget hosting market as a whole is slowly catching up anyway.
      0 Not allowed!

the text on the site gives of quite a bit, looks like some simple font where he has just used paint to write over the buttons,

you have to email to find out the packages!

live support dont work

downloads? why would you need downloads! (for a hosting site that is), you would most likely link them inside the forum

TOS, should really be one page, i wouldnt trust them what so ever
      0 Not allowed!

that 13 year old kiddie spent quite time arranging his website it seems.
      0 Not allowed!

I just got a REALLY good laugh. On his forums, he has two sections entitled "Good Testimonials" and "Bad Testimonials."

I'd have to say that it is partially your fault for purchasing your hosting there - his site has virtually no content and is completely unprofessional.
      0 Not allowed!

How did you figure out he was 13 year old? How could a 13 year old kid get the money to buy his own server?
      0 Not allowed!

Wait a second ... ... You actually purchased something from this website?
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.
      0 Not allowed!

How did you figure out he was 13 year old? How could a 13 year old kid get the money to buy his own server?
    You'd be surprised how many thirteen-year-olds' parents give them money to do whatever they want with. It's pretty scary not always knowing who you're doing business with.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Not to mention the fact that some places do accept PayPal - It's really not that hard to make cash online.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico
    You'd be surprised how many thirteen-year-olds' parents give them money to do whatever they want with. It's pretty scary not always knowing who you're doing business with.

its a bit like the fact that when you go on game servers half of them are filled with little kiddies who have got admin rights and they then think they rule the world
      0 Not allowed!

The only reason i decided to give this guy a try was because a friend recommended it to me as he knew the host, and he was cheap at the time. He also had a different website, it seems to change every now and again - i wonder why?

I found out he was 13 when i actually began to wonder wtf was going on! He can afford the cheap server he has from previously being a reseller, he still uses his reseller account to sell normal hosting accounts, and he has the cheek to call this his 'second server'.

Oh and his forum! Anything posted in the bad testimonial section will be deleted, which is why i decided to post it here for all to see.

Turns out his root WHM account has been 'hacked' recently and all his customers accounts have been offline for more than 2 days now!

I hope this lazy kid loses his business because he most certainly does not deserve it.
    Last edited by WP-Jonny; 12-12-2005 at 09:52 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

well pinpointhosting was convincing on ebay i too bought space from him emails didn't work and sites were down more times than up.
    I bought his in a hurry as host i was with let me down (yes another from ebay) and a complete novice when it comes to hosts then i contacted my current host and his servers has not been down since. Now i agree with host sapphire about his emails. two nights after i told him i was moving my email box had nearly 500 spam emails. and all had [email protected] as return path.
    this is one guy i would say give a wide WIDE berth.
    I bought a reseller program for website and gave one lad some webspace and because his account had mp3s on his site i was forced by pinpointhosting to close the lads site down without giving him a chance to delete mp3s.
      0 Not allowed!

I bought a reseller program for website and gave one lad some webspace and because his account had mp3s on his site i was forced by pinpointhosting to close the lads site down without giving him a chance to delete mp3s.
    Frankly, I can't really fault him there.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, first thing to do when you are looking for a reseller provider, CALL THEM See if you are dealing with a "company" or a group of not so professional people. If someone picks up the phone with a "well trained" warmth greeting tone, then you know you can start browsing the company's reseller plans
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com
      0 Not allowed!

Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost
      0 Not allowed!

It just shows that you NEED to do your research before you make your final decision in the comapny that you end up choosing. Do your homework, most of the time you can deduct which host will be worth the money or not by contacting there support BEFORE you place your order. If you blindly just give in to whatever cheap deal you find your going to get screwed, almost guaranteed. Usually you get what you pay for and look for testamonials, and forums.

Hope I helped out in any way,
    Andrew
      0 Not allowed!

If you want a home phone number for this PM me as i've got it off 192.com

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
      0 Not allowed!

I know what ya mean :p I was playing on a persons gameserver awhile back and i got kicked for shouting another person in the other team :p

Quote Originally Posted by ukgaz
    its a bit like the fact that when you go on game servers half of them are filled with little kiddies who have got admin rights and they then think they rule the world
      0 Not allowed!

Oh...and he has a hilarious website!

I personally recommend the forums, an excellent source of 'customer testimonials'.

Plus, you get to see the site magically move around you browser with each new page. It must have taken him ages to deliberately make the site that bad.

I love hosts who but effort into making their websites funny, Good Effort!
    Peter Hall
    Tera Web Hosting
    UK Web Hosting and Backup Storage
      0 Not allowed!

I just fell out of my chair laughing so hard at this guy's msn profile.

Favorite Quote

F*ck off

Leave me alone :$

dont be mean :$

yer

you interested in hosting for £2.99 a month ?

honestly its good
      0 Not allowed!

For further Clarrification.

The guy is hosting on 2 VPS's, not reseller accounts as the OP has insinuated

Still, bad business ethics, don't hide behind a VPS.
      0 Not allowed!

i agree with his ethics on that one

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Frankly, I can't really fault him there.
    I agree with his ethics on wanting the mp3s removed but the guy could have at least given him 48 hours to remove it poor lad was gutted when he returned from holiday to no website.
    And personally i felt i couldn't go into his site to remove the mp3s for him without his permission.
    but thats not why i moved site.
    his service and manner when dealing with problems was as host saphire said very unprofessional and non existent.
    Hi Dexxa nice to see you in same forums as me again
      0 Not allowed!

hi everyone,
    i thought i post here on behalf of jonny and luckysplace.
    i had to move all there accounts on to my server.
    and this lewis refused to give us any backups took me 2 days to get backups after many complaints and tracing the right people.

first off his backups was disabled in whm which prevented moving account,

cpanel move would fail, and he tried everything to stop people moving from his server.

he even tried to ask me for my root access to my webservers, no one needs this except me and tech support (theplanet)

i would not trust this guy at all, i have msn logs of some of the chats i had with him trying to get these backups.

he needs to be reported. and his using ebay to con people.

the worst thing in business is to charge cheaper then anyone else, its not the cost people want but support, and good service.

sice moving quite a few of his clients reffered to me they all been impressed with the serice i offer and now they all can get on with the websites.

with little downtime.

thanks

steve
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix-cms
    hi everyone,
    i thought i post here on behalf of jonny and luckysplace.
    i had to move all there accounts on to my server.
    and this lewis refused to give us any backups took me 2 days to get backups after many complaints and tracing the right people.

first off his backups was disabled in whm which prevented moving account,

cpanel move would fail, and he tried everything to stop people moving from his server.

he even tried to ask me for my root access to my webservers, no one needs this except me and tech support (theplanet)

i would not trust this guy at all, i have msn logs of some of the chats i had with him trying to get these backups.

he needs to be reported. and his using ebay to con people.

the worst thing in business is to charge cheaper then anyone else, its not the cost people want but support, and good service.

sice moving quite a few of his clients reffered to me they all been impressed with the serice i offer and now they all can get on with the websites.

with little downtime.

thanks

steve
    Nice to hear, but please edit your post a little. It's making your post sound like solicitation to get more people.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree to the host suspending the account with the MP3's on as this is a standard action any host would take upon finding copyrighted material on a users account... however...

Did he forget to suspend himself for SELLING and hosting STOLEN templatemonster.com templates? I think not.

How do I know about that? My friend was told he downloaded the whole collection from IRC by the host himself. And that is most probably not everything he has stolen and sold onto people.

Also, for those who wanted the URL to the german support team / server management he uses, it is dedicatedplace.com

Glad to see people support my views on this host, and I accept it was my own fault for even thinking of signing up to this guy!
      0 Not allowed!

Hi There Steve.
    Your right he does need reporting. But who to.
    My site has improved a great deal since moving over to your servers with his servers i lost a few members and since moving over have gained a few more. Some on classifieds some on chat etc on main page alone theres 28 but theres more between the other sections of site. Hats off to Lewis for trying to get some pocket money at his age but i think he needs to get some education first.
    Its experience he lacks.
      0 Not allowed!

he didn't suspend my hosting package because of this incident host sap
    i agreed with him it shouldn't have been there but i think he could have given the lad 48 hours to remove the mp3s.
    i think one day lewis will learn hot to run a business but at 13 i think hes just a tad too young. But it makes you wonder who your dealing with when you talk to someone online. When i contacted steve after finding out how old lewis was i had to ask how old he was. No way was i dealing with kids.
      0 Not allowed!

whats the legal side of the internet seems so many people get away with so much, like webhosting, and use of ebay.

even people that have good webserver with no problems you get script kiddies using ddos or anything they can find off forums.

or exploting opensource software.

to hack websites.

there not even much you can do apart from block and report to isp and nothing even happens either.

thanks

steve
      0 Not allowed!

Trouble is with isps they change everytime so its so easy to start a new username.
    i mean what can you do stop everyone using the same dial up as the offender just to stop these kids.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh come on! Where are all those guys with the "But age doesn't matter!" mantras?!

Elsewhere on WHT it's okay to sound like you are a 13-year-old in chat. And the forums. Spelling, punctuation & capitalization are transparent and purportedly have no reflection upon your business nor professionalism...

Where are all those people and why aren't they in this thread???

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

There is a correlation between eBay and the bad hosting companies. Selling your hosting services on eBay just seems... I don't know... cheap... tacky?

My 2 pennies worth...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rochen
    lol, nice find! He refers to the pinpointhosting as his personal website. What a sick little chump.

Guess lesson learned here. I still don't know why anyone would even think of doing business with anyone running a site such as that. It's obvious that something's wrong.

Better luck next time.
    AYKsolutions.com - High Bandwidth Specialists - 100TB/1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered/CDN/DDOS Protected
    Over 20 Global Locations - Asia, Mexico, Brazil, India, Australia, US, CA, EU - Bare Metal and Virtual Cloud. All Managed.
    View our current Specials.
    We are Professional. Painless. Polite.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET)
    Oh come on! Where are all those guys with the "But age doesn't matter!" mantras?!

Elsewhere on WHT it's okay to sound like you are a 13-year-old in chat. And the forums. Spelling, punctuation & capitalization are transparent and purportedly have no reflection upon your business nor professionalism...

Where are all those people and why aren't they in this thread???

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Bailey
    If it were just selling goods or something like that then hats off to anyone of any age trying to make a quick buck but when a 13 year old takes a reseller account out and sells hosting remember hes taking some peoples business and playing with it.
    Host saphire for instance is trying to make a business for himself with hosting.
    I myself set up my website because i am doing a business studies course and wanted to set up a community website like i would if i were doing it as a proper business now that its nearly built i may turn it into a buisiness.
    and to be perfectly honest would you want to trust your company with a 13 year old and if so do you have any jobs going my 15 year old nephew wants a job. but he knows nothing about hosting you would have to teach him he he.
    luckys
      0 Not allowed!

got us there

LOL you got some of us there.
    Some of us are just starting out and agree should have shopped around.
    Some of us seen a cheap hosting company and thought it would get us started
    Some of us even found the kid charming when he first contacted you
    Some of us even thuoght he was an adullt (Could have knocked me over with a feather when i realised he was only a kid)
    Im guilty on all four points but since mines wasn't being set up initially with intentions of running a business then i wasn't really looking hard enough but now i have my site on a fantaastic server and seeing it all built up or nearly all built up makes me want to turn it into a business but point im trying to make is we all make rash decisions and regret them later.
    weve made our mistakes and i thing hostsaphire is letting you know what pinpoint is like sos that nobody else makes that same mistake
    shop around ask people if they know the company and if not then look around some more.
    with ebay or any other auction i think they should read the persons feedback (which might be ok but remember some gives you the perfect service till the feedback is left).
    :-)luckys
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast