What's up with Hostgator

Hello,

Am I the only one with a strange feeling about HostGator lately? I was very happy when I signed up with them a few months ago but now I'm wondering if it was the rigt choice.

There's many overloads lately or down times. Right now I can't access any of my client's site, the server is completely down.

I've seen lots of advertising from them everywhere and few threads in forums about customer becoming less happy. Maybe they're over-overselling or they're just getting too big...

I'd like to know what others think about it.

my 18 months of experiene with gator is positive compare to any other host. at present overloading is becoming bit problem on some servers of gator but they are able to manage uptime - which is sign of professionalism. and i hope they have concern with overload so they will comeup with some solution very fast

overall they are "RELIABLE" service provider

You may just be experiencing an isolated issue. Plus, they are located in the planet which has been having upstream issues that have been or are being resolved.

Hope everything works out for you.
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.

Have you tried to contact them about the issue? Maybe if you contact them they can help you out with the problem.

is it you

One thing hosts deal with daily that wastes a lot of time, is
    the customer complaining servers are down when they are not

Just because you can't get to your site, Does not indicate the host or your server is down

Please do a traceroute, and find out where the network problem is. From there
    you can usually ICQ, or AIM this to the host support, which keeps this open
    for exactly this reason to identify problems, and call the place that
    may not be aware of said problem. or figure out how to get around it

Quote Originally Posted by CartHost
    Please do a traceroute
    how to do this?? Any website provide this service?

Start > Run > Type "cmd" > OK > Type "tracert mysite.com"

You'll need to right click on the window and choose the Mark button to copy some text. Just select it all and right click again.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Quote Originally Posted by CartHost
    One thing hosts deal with daily that wastes a lot of time, is
    the customer complaining servers are down when they are not

Just because you can't get to your site, Does not indicate the host or your server is down

Please do a traceroute, and find out where the network problem is. From there
    you can usually ICQ, or AIM this to the host support, which keeps this open
    for exactly this reason to identify problems, and call the place that
    may not be aware of said problem. or figure out how to get around it
    They were down. I'm not sure exactly about the cause since one person told me there was a hardware issue and another said they were doing an upgrade. When I asked about that the guy replied that it's the hardware issue that called for an upgrade........

I want to be clear that I'm not bashing HostGator here. After a year of hell at Livin4 and the change of ownership 2 weeks after I signed up at Bluewho (which I still consider a good host btw), HostGator is definitely the best I've dealt with so far.

That said, my server doesnt seem to perform as well as it did when I signed up and I was wondering if I was somewhat paranoid or if anyone else shared my concerns.

In any case, I think I won't be comfortable until I have more control on my server so I decided to make the jump and get myself a VPS.

Me and my coworkers have had more and more problems with Hostgator lately. There "live" tech support has been below average. Very rarely do they actually help us on the spot. There answer to every problem is "open a ticket." They've also screwed up my billing for the past few months even after rep after rep tells me that it'll be fixed. I also have noticed that server performance has degraded.

I'm going back and forth whether or not to drop them.

Sounds like HostGator is going through a growth spurt. I noticed the owner posting tech jobs on WHT so looks like they're trying to catch up with their growth. Most hosts that grows quickly run into similar issues. I'd give them a little time to sort things out if I were in your shoes, especially if you've been happy with them until recently. Any host you move to is liable to have the same problems one day.
    Alex B.

If you had a billing issue and you opened a ticket I am positive it would be solved very quickly. (usually within minutes) Please provide me with your ticket number and I will solve it for you if it has not been solved already.

It is true we are growing fast, but we are hiring people even faster which is why things have been so stable with us and very few people are having problems. The planet data center has had a few network issues this month, but they have been isolated cases which were resolved very quickly.

Unfortunately network issues are out of our hands and that is why we're fortunate the planet has a great network and is known for their reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahooer
    how to do this?? Any website provide this service?
    try sites like www.dnsstuff.com . they will traceroute from their location. this helps some times to detect any problem from your side

Quote Originally Posted by EricG
    Hello,

Am I the only one with a strange feeling about HostGator lately? I was very happy when I signed up with them a few months ago but now I'm wondering if it was the rigt choice.

There's many overloads lately or down times. Right now I can't access any of my client's site, the server is completely down.

I've seen lots of advertising from them everywhere and few threads in forums about customer becoming less happy. Maybe they're over-overselling or they're just getting too big...

I'd like to know what others think about it.
    Send them an e-mail asking to have your account moved to another server or you'll change hosts. They have plenty of servers and I'm sure not all of them are having the problems yours is having.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.