Don't want cheap hosting

I want fast, reliable, quality shared hosting with decent support. I am not interested in 50cents per year for 10gb type hosting.

Features:
    Space at least 1gb
    Bandwidth at least 15gb
    PHP 5
    MySQL at least 4.1
    phpMyAdmin
    Add-on domains at least 5
    POP Accounts with webmail access
    Can install Mambo 4.5.2 or later

Before somebody replies with "...look at the offers forum..." I have already done this many times. It is possible to spend days on that forum and get no where. Besides offers count less than personal recommendations. I am getting to the stage where I think I have to go colo or dedicated for a couple of tiny sites.

I don't see why you should need a dedicated server for a few tiny sites.... unless those tiny sites have *loads* of traffic, or some active forums.

I cannot recommend any particular hosts here, but surely there are plenty of hosts now that give you lots of domains on one account, at around $10/month.
    I always advise people to check out those hosts that have a good reputation, and make a choice among those.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

You don't need a dedicated, save your money.

Good luck finding a new home.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

If you do decide on a dedicated server, which I doubt you need, use beachcomber.net as they have proven to be quite superb for my dedicated needs.

I think you don't need a dedicated server and try VPS.
    unixshell provide XEN base VPSs.

Cheers,
    Beruska
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP

Quote Originally Posted by ossigeno
    I want fast, reliable, quality shared hosting with decent support. I am not interested in 50cents per year for 10gb type hosting.

Features:
    Space at least 1gb
    Bandwidth at least 15gb
    PHP 5
    MySQL at least 4.1
    phpMyAdmin
    Add-on domains at least 5
    POP Accounts with webmail access
    Can install Mambo 4.5.2 or later

Before somebody replies with "...look at the offers forum..." I have already done this many times. It is possible to spend days on that forum and get no where. Besides offers count less than personal recommendations. I am getting to the stage where I think I have to go colo or dedicated for a couple of tiny sites.
    Well alot of the offers that you see in the forum are from newer companies so maybe thats why you feel like you are spinning your wheels. They all seem to compete on pricing. Also alot of the members here are web hosts and you cannot promote your own company (other than having a sig) so response may be slower.
    I can tell you though there are several companies that have been in business 5+ years and they are known for their reliability BUT Im not sure what size plans they now offer but you could research a few of these names by searching here in the forum and on google.com
    akashik.net
    hostmatters.com
    tera-byte.com
    pair.com
    futurequest.net
    axishost.com
    clook.net
    dathorn.com
    There are many more but these are just a few that came to mind.
    Dans site might be helpful to you as well (he is a mod here)
    Try whreviews.com to help in your research.
    Best of luck.

I think you don't need a dedicated server and try VPS.
    Personally, I don't see why he would need even a VPS. With some $15 he's quite likely to get all he needs in a very stable shared hosting environment. It could be a bit hard to get PHP 5, but not impossible.

I am getting to the stage where I think I have to go colo or dedicated for a couple of tiny sites.
    What is it that makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Personally, I don't see why he would need even a VPS. With some $15 he's quite likely to get all he needs in a very stable shared hosting environment.
    I'm sure he can find better VPS under $10

It could be a bit hard to get PHP 5, but not impossible.
    That is why I recommend the VPS.

Cheers,
    Beruska
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP

I'm sure he can find better VPS under $10
    It depends on the definition of better. I would prefer to spend $10 on a good shared host rather than on a very limited VPS package. But that's just me.

Why need dedicated?

Personally, I don't see why he would need even a VPS. With some $15 he's quite likely to get all he needs in a very stable shared hosting environment. It could be a bit hard to get PHP 5, but not impossible.

What is it that makes you think that?
    Because I cannot find what I am looking for. Cost is not a major factor. I need

Stability
    Performance
    Contactable support when problem with the shared environment not for my own sites.

and the requirements mentioned in the original post. My total bandwidth is less than 500Mb a month, although I do not want a plan that imposes a low restriction.

If you looking to host a couple tiny sites why dont u just look for an inexepensive reseller account?? That would save you money.. I dont think you need a dedicated server or a vps.
    ShellCentral.net
    Web Hosting, ShoutCast Servers, Dedicated Servers, Reseller Accounts, Domain Registration and more.

As listed above I can verify the quality offered by both tera-byte and futurequest, I do not believe though that either offers php5.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 12-12-2005 at 08:41 PM.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

I have some experience with two hosts: Totalchoicehosting and Site5. I may reccomend both.
    For your requirements, I think, TCH "Deluxe" plan may fit you: 1000 Mbspace, 35 Gb Bandwith, Cpanel,unlimited MySQL. Yearly price 164 $. Not sure about Mambo. They use Horde or Squirrel webmail as well as POP3 mail.
    Or, if you want more space, I'd reccomend basic Site5 plan: 5 Gb space, 100 Gb bandwith, unlimited subdomains,unlimited email accounts:web, POP3. They don't use CPanel - NetAdmin instead.

At least he is smart and is going for quality and not trying to save a couple of measly bucks per month.

If you need PHP5, I would suggest that you look at Webonce.com

Site 5 looks good for huge sites with large bandwidth. I might have a need for this type of hosting for some other sites later but at the moment this is the opposite of what I want. It is also a little off-putting to want to have my sites hosted on the same server to sites that will no doubt need those kind of resources.

I see three hosting camps:
    Cheap hosting
    Enormous limits but possibly lacking in support and performance.

Enthusiast hosting
    More likely to have lastest technology but possibly issues with stabilty and support.

Big name hosting
    Will have the support and performance but not cutting edge technology (e.g. the PHP 5 I mentioned orginally) and potentially restrictive limits (e.g limited or no add-on domains).

Most of the suggestions here and posts on the offers forum seem to fall into the first category and a few into the second.

Again I reiterate, I have just 2 small sites at the moment. None of the three hosting camps seem ideal for my needs which is why I am considering dedicated/colo.

Support for PHP 5 seems to be a limiting factor to using a shared hosting environment because of the lack of take up by hosting firms. Sadly, I have now removed all need for PHP 5 from my sites to give me more options.

PHP 5 is a newer technology and will take time to be adopted by the majority of Web Hosts. That doesn't mean your search should just end though.

I have no personal experience with any of the following companies other than them posting frequently at WHT. I have seen nothing bad about them, but have heard a few positive things.

http://www.freshlookhosting.com/
    http://www.webonce.com/

Both companies offer both PHP4 and PHP5 side-by-side meaning you can choose to use either language.

As far as support goes, it never hurts to submit a few support tickets or emails (if possible while not being a customer). You can then see how fast of a response you receive. I would reccommend several emails at different times of the day or night. This should give you a good idea about their customer service.

For reliability.. You could ask a potential host if they use a 3rd Party Monitoring service and ask for some proof about their uptime. Not all hosts use a 3rd Party Monitoring service but it never hurts to ask.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

With the specs you posted, I would highly recommend LiquidWeb.com. Great server speeds and fast, reliable customer service. I've been with them since May and am yet to have a single problem with them.

EDIT: Apologies, just noticed that LiquidWeb's shared do not appear to offer PHP5 just yet.