HostGator Review - Just under a Month...

Hello,

I've been a follower of these forums for quite sometime and they have been an integral factor in me deciding which companies I have picked for hosting for a few years. My thanks to everyone.

I have never been a contributor before because I don't really think any of my views until now have brought much to the table before and I dont see the point in pointing out things that have already been said time and time before - However, in a way this post does just that but I feel it needs to be said.

I created an account with HostGator just under a month ago (after following numerous threads on this forum about them), because I believed them to be a good, stable provider.

Since the creation of my account (for which I discovered a very handy coupon that entitled me to a month free with them) I've had quite a few problems with HostGator.

Before I list the problems, I would like to just say that the Support from HostGator has been fantastic in response times. Any issues I've had they have dealt with promptly (the first problem I had was the absence of ImageMagick on my server - 10 minutes after sending a ticket they had switched it on for me and it was working - great!).

Every single day I have been with them, my site(s) has either gone offline (failing to resolve completely) or has been running very slowly (running slowly when something is wrong, not running slowly all the time). I run Joomla on one of the sites and all of the other hosts I have been with I've never had a problem with the database taking a long time to actually "work".

The periods of downtime: Its usually 1-3 times a day, for a period of 3-10 minutes.

If the site isnt down (and I can see there is a problem) the site is running VERY slowly. Be it because it could be a mysql connection issue there end, I do not know (I do know however my set up isn't bugged, so it is there end).

Now one may say "Its a shared host, you get what you pay for"...And I agree with this. They arent very expensive to use, they offer a good selection of fascilities, but I believe uptime and speed is really vital for any service and for repeated downtime to occur daily is just not right.

Thats all I have to say really. I don't want to cause a problem as they are very nice people there and I have had very polite and helpful responses to my questions...The only real other negative I have had is when I say there *IS* downtime, they have usually replied with "Its up at our end now, we can't see a problem"....Both ticket support and live support have said this each time (usually the site is back online by the time they respond)...So, instead of looking at what the problem was they just dismissed it and see it as "Working now".

I hope this proves helpful to some people in making a decision with regards to a hosting company. I can't really prove it since I am in the process (around 50% done) of moving all my sites to a nice VPS compliments of PowerVPS (whom I have to say have been EXTREMELY helpful so far, and it looks like a really good move I made going with these guys -). I thank this forum again for allowing me to discover PowerVPS.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

Do you have a ticket number I can view with us? I'm not aware of any of our servers having daily down times, and I know we would not lie to you about it being up when we check it. The planet has been having some network issues the last few days, so it could be related to that. Please provide me with a ticket number so I can check more into it for you.

Is your site always loading slow? If so please post your domain name so we can all check it out.
    Last edited by BrentOfHG; 12-09-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Hello,

As I said, mainly the help has been great but on several ocassions I have had a sort of "non-helpful" response to my tickets when the site is down.

I will say its mainly been in LiveChat that the "Its up now" mentality has occured.

But two such tickets are: #DHK-62467-118 and #DHW-34737-174 (however this one was followed up later on by someone advising me to call straight away or notify you if it went down, which I appreciated).

Edit: I didn't actually say anyone of you lied, far from it...It just seemed to me that because the site was up when they checked it wasn't an issue...Rather than tell me specifically what the problem was it was just sort of its back online now no damage done.
    Last edited by Tom M; 12-09-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Host Gator seems like a very reputable host.

Quote Originally Posted by share2net
    Host Gator seems like a very reputable host.
    Hah, that goes in my best post of the year for a User's 1st post award, doesn't elaborate or anything . Just kidding bbut kinda an odd thing to make your first post on the forums.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

I didn't question their reputation. I stated what my experience was/has been like whilst using their service.