Voicemail Software - Is This Possible?

I have been searching the Internet for a piece of software for my Windows XP computer that will act as an answering machine/fax machine.

The main feature I require, is an answering machine that will pick up with a different voicemail box, depending on the ringing pattern (ie. distinctive ring service)

We have two phone lines in our home, the main line is personal and the short-short-long line is my home business line.

All I can find is software that picks up with a single mailbox, and gives the caller the option of picking a different mailbox.

Any ideas or suggestions?

A ***X would allow you to receive faxes to your e-mail and have different extensions. Probably your best bet...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Stein
    A ***X would allow you to receive faxes to your e-mail and have different extensions. Probably your best bet...
    Unfortunately, ***X is not available in my province from my local provider.

And, I am not concerned about receiving faxes at all. Just trying separate voicemail mail boxes that answer the phone calls.

I have just found this hardware that would probably do the trick for me, but I was hoping to find a software solution.

modemswitch.com/rhiggins/products/SR-3.html

I guess I will wait a couple days to see if anyone has a software solution that is reasonably priced out there and working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by O.D.S.
    Unfortunately, ***X is not available in my province from my local provider.

And, I am not concerned about receiving faxes at all. Just trying separate voicemail mail boxes that answer the phone calls.
    You do not need to use a local provider...look at something like GotvMail.com

***X still seems like your best bet....

I would still rather find a piece of software that I can do it myself.

I currently pay $2 a month for my company phone number. And, I do not pay any long distance fees for my clients to call me.

the GotvMail.com solution is an option I will look into, but would increase my current monthly cost probably about 600%.

----------
    Last edited by O.D.S.; 12-09-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: accidently double clicked

If you have a linux box Asterisk is your best friend.

Cheers,
    Beruska
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP

Quote Originally Posted by beruska
    If you have a linux box Asterisk is your best friend.

Cheers,
    Beruska
    You do not necessarily need a linux box to run asterisk.

Anyways, http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

I just don't think that it is worth having an asterisk box for what the guy wants.

You do not necessarily need a linux box to run asterisk.

Anyways, http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/
    [email protected] is based on CentOS + Asterisk. but need a dedicated server/computer to install [email protected]

Cheers,
    Beruska
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP

Although I appreciate the responses I am getting and conversation that is started, I do believe you guys are making suggestions off the path of what I want - maybe I didn't explain it well.

I have a Windows XP system that I want this to run on - anything else and my wife can't figure out how to use it, so it has to be W-XP based. Because this system will be taking personal family voicemail as well, she needs to be able to use it.

The closest I have come is the HotFax MessageCenter 6.0 from SmithMicro.com.

But, in talking to their technical support, what I want is not possible from their software.

Currently, their software with answer a voice call (from any ring pattern) with a single mailbox, and give the caller the option of pressing ..:: *# ::.. to go to a separate mailbox. When a fax call is received on a distinctive ring pattern, it will answer with a fax tone.

Why, their software can't answer with a different mailbox on a distinctive ring pattern, I am not sure - seems to me that it would be easy to set up options within the program to allow for that? But, I don't do that type of programming, so I could be way off base.

So, with that in mind, any other options or suggestions?

Although I appreciate the responses I am getting and conversation that is started, I do believe you guys are making suggestions off the path of what I want - maybe I didn't explain it well.

I have a Windows XP system that I want this to run on - anything else and my wife can't figure out how to use it, so it has to be W-XP based. Because this system will be taking personal family voicemail as well, she needs to be able to use it.

The closest I have come is the HotFax MessageCenter 6.0 from SmithMicro.com.

But, in talking to their technical support, what I want is not possible from their software.

Currently, their software with answer a voice call (from any ring pattern) with a single mailbox, and give the caller the option of pressing ..:: *# ::.. to go to a separate mailbox. When a fax call is received on a distinctive ring pattern, it will answer with a fax tone.

Why, their software can't answer with a different mailbox on a distinctive ring pattern, I am not sure - seems to me that it would be easy to set up options within the program to allow for that? But, I don't do that type of programming, so I could be way off base.

So, with that in mind, any other options or suggestions?
    Finding something like that runs on Windows XP and is decent is going to be tough to find. Are you sure your local provider doesn't offer something like you want (less running on your computer) for like $5/month extra?

Great Voicemail system that is programmable

I would suggest looking into Venta Fax - Fax Software and Answering Machine Software.

They have diff ver that will fit your purpose, and it is prammable to fit diff setups.

ventafax dot com

I have used it for some time now and find it works for many diff setups you have now or might have in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingOH_com
    I would suggest looking into Venta Fax - Fax Software and Answering Machine Software.

They have diff ver that will fit your purpose, and it is prammable to fit diff setups.

ventafax dot com

I have used it for some time now and find it works for many diff setups you have now or might have in the near future.
    This looks interesting - I will be looking more into it and maybe testing out the trail version to see if it meets my needs.

Thanks!

Windows 2003 Small businese edition come with Fax and the next version of MS Exchange, (Exchange12) will have voice mail intergerated, just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    Windows 2003 Small businese edition come with Fax and the next version of MS Exchange, (Exchange12) will have voice mail intergerated, just sayin'.
    He had a qualm with paying a few bucks per month...I don't think he is going to shell out hundreds of dollars for that software...

He had a qualm with paying a few bucks per month...I don't think he is going to shell out hundreds of dollars for that software...
    Very good point. I don't mind paying up to $200 CAD for a solution for me that is permanent, but any more and it's not worth it for me. I don't want to pay $15 a month for ever or anything like that - not at this point in my company.

My local provider, the best they can do for me is install a whole separate telephone line ($200 install and $39/month as it's a business line) and then $9 a month for voicemail. For what little income I make right now, I would rather be putting it all back into the company to grow it, before I spend most of it on a simple phone line.

Very good point. I don't mind paying up to $200 CAD for a solution for me that is permanent, but any more and it's not worth it for me. I don't want to pay $15 a month for ever or anything like that - not at this point in my company.

My local provider, the best they can do for me is install a whole separate telephone line ($200 install and $39/month as it's a business line) and then $9 a month for voicemail. For what little income I make right now, I would rather be putting it all back into the company to grow it, before I spend most of it on a simple phone line.
    Windows 2003 + exchange will be much more than $200.