Arrow Breaking Sport News :: The World Cup Draw for Germany 2006. Opinions?? Predictions??

Article extract >>

GROUP A
    Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

GROUP B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Sweden

GROUP C
    Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Holland

GROUP D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

GROUP E
    Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech Republic

GROUP F
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

GROUP G
    France
    Switzerland
    South Korea
    Togo

GROUP H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia

End extract <<

In depth anaylysis :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...06/4511110.stm

How's your team faired??

How do you now rate your chances?

How do you see the otyher groups playing out?

From an English perspective i'm not complaining, more so if we can keep our players fit and injury free. Not wanting to tempt fate but looking ahead at what could happen is what you do at a time like this, the winners or runners up of Group B will face those of Group A, most likely Germany or Poland.

*fingers crossed*

Graham Taylor just said on fivelive that he's projected how the whole tournament might turn out and come up with an England v Brazil final. COME ON!

GO OUT, GET YOUR WALL CHARTS, ONLY 180 ODD DAYS TO GO!

ENGLAND!!!

We could play Germany in the second round and Argentina in the Quarter Finals, so it wouldn't be a boring and passionless route to the final if were to come to pass in any event.

USA's group will be tight and they stand a reasonable chance of progressing , and the Aussies, Soccer Roos, well what a draw for them with Brazil in their Group. You could hear their delagation in the hall when that came out.

Oh and i understand there's quite a party going on in Trinidaad and Tobago tonight.

P.S. Begin the cliches.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 12-09-2005 at 05:58 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

30 years of hurt..

or however many we're upto now

Brazil will face Croatia in opener

Honestly I can't wait until the world cup. I think it's going to be a huge competition between Brazil and Argentina.

"Five-time champions Brazil will face Australia and 2002 hosts Japan after their tough first game."

Go Brazil!

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/fo...raw/index.html

I am still not too sure what team to root for for the world cup, but I think the toughest groups are group C and E. Specially with both Italy, Holland and the USA in the same team.

England's groups isn't easy either, Sweden is strong. Ibrahamovic is a monster...

if england are gonna win it, we cant worry about who we've got in the groups..

jamie carragher for centre back!

jamie carragher for centre back!
    Erm, well, I believe england has the most choice when it comes to center backs, and I really think it boils down to who's in form at that time. Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Jamie Carragher, Ledly King etc. Sol Campbell is abit old though

Spain definitely have the best choice of keepers though (don't listen to people arguing over Kahn and Lehman, both can match Cassilas ) While Cassilas is the obvious best, they still have Victor Valdes, Santiago Canizares, Jose Reina as backup. The Real Madrid back up keeper, Cesar is pretty good too (the last time he played)

Brazil, is without doubt the attacking powerhouse: Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Kaka, Julio Baptista, Ricardo Olivera, Rivaldo and a never ending list... Hell, their sidebacks are more famous for attacking then defending.

As for the Midfield, it is really difficult to say I suppose, with most players able to play either in the Midfield/Defense, or Striker/Midfield, and with so many different midfield positions, wings, attacking, defending etc, it really is difficult to say...

But I think I am going to root for Czech, Milan Baros is going to kick ***

milan baros is usually hit and miss, bit he seems to hit quality for the czechs

id argue england can compete with anyone in midfield - we dont have anyone like ronaldinho, but gerrard, lampard + beckham form a pretty impressive midfield unit. put someone who can run at defenders and put them under pressure like joe cole on the left and you've got a midfield that can go box to box, cross from deep, beat a player, score goals, tackle hard and pass like the best of them

milan baros is usually hit and miss, bit he seems to hit quality for the czechs
    He is good. I have no idea why he doesn't score more for his clubs, but everytime I watch him play, he is scary. Abit like Peter Crouch IMO, just plain bad luck, but plays really well.

put someone who can run at defenders and put them under pressure
    Wayne Rooney

I'd say the English midfield is really strong too. But like I said, different midfield functions in different ways. A 4-5-1 midfield and a 4-3-3 midfield is different, so it is difficult to compare.

England have a great chance:

The Best Central midfield in the world (Gerrard & Lamps) plus we have too many good Centre backs and with Rooney and Owen upfront! we should be a force.

Brazil, is without doubt the attacking powerhouse: Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Kaka, Julio Baptista, Ricardo Olivera, Rivaldo and a never ending list... Hell, their sidebacks are more famous for attacking then defending.
    They definately have the best strike force but Robinho and Baptista have been poor at Real so I don't think they're worth the mentioning of 'great attacking force' until they prove themselves. Rivaldo is past it.

Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka and Ronaldinho = what a force!

Let's not forget about Holland! Robben, VDV, Van Nistlerooy, Kuyt, Van Persie = another powerhouse in the attacking region

If i see the numbers 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 and England in the same sentence next summer in Germany i think i'll throw up.

An infatuation with that system of play has royally messed up United.

Despite what some avhe said, i'd have to disagree that the England midfield is all that it is made out to be.

Gerrard and Lampard tread on eachothers toes, one of them playhing well is normally at the expense of the other. Joe Cole is no winger and he's too lightweight [dives]. And David Beckham has too much sway over Sven, cuts inside too much instead of doing his job and staying out wide.

Now that doesn't happen all the time but if it only happens in one World Cupo game it could prove fatal.

I'm more than happy with our forward line, we've got probably the best full back partnership in the whole tournament in Neville and Cole when back fit.

Terry is a dead cert you'd think, and then it's a battle between a host of other players to fill the other spot on form. Rio has been erratic for us this season.

I'd really like to see us employ a 3-5-2 at least once in a friendly before the World Cup. Maybe the FA could bring in Sir Clive Woodward to motiate the troops at HT, recent example being Brazil at the last World Cup, Sven is utterly hopeless at a time like that. Or amybe Kriss Akabusi

Let's not forget Euro 2004, on paper you might have a world class attack or defence, and midfield to be envied, but if you ain't got a "team" [like the Greeks had], you're in a right mire before the first whistle's even been blown.

As for the Czech Republic, well whether Nedved goes or not will be a huge factor.He's already retired once, and playing in Serie A, they're hardly going to give him and easy build upo with Group E in mind.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 12-10-2005 at 07:40 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

4-4-2 all the way!

Oh, and England vs Brazil final tbh.

Group A: Germany
    Group B: England
    Group C: Argentina
    Group D: Portugal
    Group E: Czechs
    Group F: Brazil
    Group G: France
    Group H: Spain

Finals: Germany - Brazil

It sounds like USA will have a real challenge just getting out of its group. It's nice though to now be beyond the "just happy to make the field" attitude. Now I want to see them get to the quarters.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Go Trinidad & Tabago!
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

GROUP B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Sweden
    If we don't make it through that group, we need a new sport to be rubbish at.
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

With Germany being the host, I predict they will stay in this competition for a while even though they don't play excellent. It's just an opinion. So, a final Germany-Brasil like cornelius140 predicted is very likely possible in my opinion too. I cheer for Brasil, Argentina and USA.

I don't even want to think about the world cup this year....

John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Deleted- Repost
    Last edited by John D; 12-12-2005 at 09:59 AM.
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information