Dumb University Rules

So my university has this stupid rule which states that if you exceed 90 credits, you cannot transfer in any more courses. I screwed up by taking it for grandit and transfering 55 and exceeding a total of 90 at the university.

Now I cant transfer in these two classes (I want to take at a community college).

What are reasonable reasons I should submit to the appeals committee so they can reconsider? They need good reasons and are very strict about this rule.

I'm sure the rule is in place just so that they make more money.

One other reason they do it is so that their college degree isn't watered down. Imagine the extreme case where you take all of your courses at another college and transfer in only to take one course then claim to have a degree from there.

As for a good reason for them to accept the additional two classes, if those classes are not offered by the university that might be good enough.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

They're offered, just slightly different topics and MUCH more difficult (and more expensive). The community college ones transfer as them...!

As drizzle said, the main reason for it is so that the university's name on your degree means something.

I'd talk to your advisor and see what can be done about it.

So basically you want to do the easy course, but then get a degree that says that you did the difficult one?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fernandez
    So basically you want to do the easy course, but then get a degree that says that you did the difficult one?
    The degrees do not say anything about easy or difficult courses. I want to take three more credits, out of a total 120, at a community college. Because I have only taken 55 out of the possible 64 that can be taken there. The restriction is that I am past 90 credits (at 94)... I could have easily done it if I took it last semester.

The rule I think is dumb is that the LAST 30 have to be completed at the university, even though they already have a restriction of 64 credits being transferred in.

Anyone who has attended a community college knows that the courses are in general less difficult, and often less costly, than the equivelent coureses at a university. So wouldn't it be the smart thing to do?
    Last edited by Mark226; 12-09-2005 at 10:11 PM.

I don't understand what you're asking for? drizzle and Aaron both provided a reasonable explanation as to why they wouldn't allow that. You're basically trying to get a degree at a university by taking community college courses and transferring it in, thus degrading the university's degree.

Anyone who has attended a community college knows that the courses are in general less difficult
    Exactly why they dont allow you to do it too much, as its an easier course that you claim, via your degree, was more difficult.

Perhaps this whole education thing isnt for you if you cant understand this simple concept.