Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I learned HTML with notpad but now I use Deamweaver.
    When I need to edit code by hand I can normally do it with out a problem.
    Last edited by Sops; 12-10-2005 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bear

Having had to clean up after many a FP site, I can't say I agree at all.
    ...sames goes to DW in my personal experience!

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    That's sort of like saying I prefer getting punched in the head more than getting kneed in the groin, because you recover more quickly. They're still both crap
    indeed both crap but what if i had to choose one..still FP

Quote Originally Posted by Draco
    ...sames goes to DW in my personal experience!

indeed both crap but what if i had to choose one..still FP
    You can always choose nVu. It's free and the markup is much better than those other two

It's still not nearly as good as hand coding, but it's better than the paid crap.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

d) Code to w3C standards with Dreamweaver to save hours of tedious work, and laugh at those stuck with notepad.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism
    d) Code to w3C standards with Dreamweaver to save hours of tedious work, and laugh at those stuck with notepad.
    stuck? I think after a while notedad simplicity is quite good to code with w3c standarts, or at least in my experiencie

stuck? I think after a while notedad simplicity is quite good to code with w3c standarts, or at least in my experiencie
    I prefer to not have to preview in a browser to see my layout constantly

Thats why I laugh...

I mean lets be serious, why go through the time of setting up a document in notepad and setting out all the divs or tables when DW can do it for you, in the exact markup? Don't get me wrong I need to edit and know the code I am working with, but it looks sexier in DW than it does in notepad.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

Thats why I laugh...

I mean lets be serious, why go through the time of setting up a document in notepad and setting out all the divs or tables when DW can do it for you, in the exact markup? Don't get me wrong I need to edit and know the code I am working with, but it looks sexier in DW than it does in notepad.
    If you're talking about DW code view, I'm with ya. The WYSIWYG view is garbage, but the code view is very nice.

Still, I'm so used to Homesite, I still have to say I prefer it. It's a lot lighter than DW in CPU and RAM load, and it's the architecture on which DW's code view was built anyway. But there are some pretty darned good freeware text editors that come reasonably close...
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Yeah I was talking about the page view, however I use the WYSIWYG for setting up the document, placing css etc. If you design to the new standards, that being XHTML, then 90% of the time you are spent playing with CSS, which is of course text, when it comes to applying the css to your design it helps to see it on screen.

I wouldn't consider myself a coder, more so a designer, however I design in code... if that makes any sense.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

Ahh, for good visual CSS, I suggest TopStyle, which works seamlessly with Homesite (and possibly with DW?).

I'm not familiar with Homesite, I've never strained away from DW, as far as I am aware DW can do all that TopStyle promises... I mean I can do XHTML Strict 1.1 with it for instance, and test it through DW for all browsers etc, it also shows me how it will look. Other nice things are it fills in the rest of the CSS string for you, for instance if you are entering a border, simply type 'bor' and it asks for a size, style and color... Homesite might do this, not sure.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fernandez
    I prefer to not have to preview in a browser to see my layout constantly
    I do

Thats why I laugh...

now i laugh because of the "Sexier". I dont take off the credit of what DW can do but you know..its about preferences after all, each one of us handle this in a VERY different way (as i can tell), probablyin the future I might "upgrade", who knows

I'm an old school designer, but I do validate pages now.. and I use dreamweaver but not because I can get help.. it just presents it visually to me better.

but it looks sexier in DW than it does in notepad.
    Sexier? I'm sure your customers could care less how sexy DW looke dto you while building their site.

I use to use Homesite quite a bit before Macromedia bought them out. Used it till about '02 when I tried Textpad. Been using it since. I acutally find working in DW irritating even in code view.

I'm not familiar with Homesite, I've never strained away from DW, as far as I am aware DW can do all that TopStyle promises... I mean I can do XHTML Strict 1.1 with it for instance, and test it through DW for all browsers etc, it also shows me how it will look. Other nice things are it fills in the rest of the CSS string for you, for instance if you are entering a border, simply type 'bor' and it asks for a size, style and color... Homesite might do this, not sure.
    Topstyle goes a couple steps beyond this. It presents you with a menu in one column where you can pick and choose your styles, and it comes with a handy guide that tells you which styles are supported by what browsers. It has auto complete and a preview pane to show you what you've created up to that point.

Topstyle is a great tool for developers really getting to learn their CSS. But nowadays, I just find it to be a whole lot faster to type out what I want and not have menus open up on me while I'm typing. So, I'm strictly using Homesite. My version is 5.0, which is a few years old now. It might very well be the functionality about which you're talking in DW is part of Homesite too now. It wouldn't surprise me, since nearly everything inside DW code view origininated in Homesite anyway.

I'm using Zend. It is meant for PHP (which I mainly use), but I use it for HTML as well. I like the pure text editing combined with some colors and so.
    I talk Playstation portable @ www.PSPtalk.net
    Buy and sell in Singapore www.SGPads.com

A and C. I make valid XHTML&CSS code with the editor like notepad (but more better) always.

When I started out my computer was too crappy to run any WYSIWYG programs, so I learned using notepad, and I still use notepad even today.
    Rene K.

I use BBEdit, and it's the best editor I've found. I've tried all the big WYSIWYG editors, back when they used to include the "site made with XX". (Do they still do that?).

Personally I think that if you can't, or don't, hand code with a plain text editor, you're lazy. You may claim that it just "saves time", but if your WYSIWYG editor makes mistakes, which it will, how much time are you saving? Plus, customers aren't opening client's sites in DW design view, they're opening it in a web browser, so you should be previewing it in a web browser
    Coding my way to oblivion.

I like to take control over my code. Old school and notepad is the best, but now I like Homesite html editor.

Me = HTML Super God.
    I used notepad for a long time, but I love HomeSite now because of code highlighting and keyboard shortcuts.

a little bit of everything ....started out as a hand coder (notepad) until I figured out Dreamweaver is much faster and easier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12