Exclamation Question about hosting and domains

Hi people, I basically want more control over my domain name.

I registered my domain through a webhosting company (and also webspace).

They in turn registered my domain through bulkregister.com

The thing is, the webhosting company is very unreliable and goes down every once in a while, so really I want to have more control over my domain name.

ie. to be able to log into bulkregister and amend nameservers, details etc, without going through my hosting company i'm with.

Has anyone any ideas how to go about this? Ive emailed my webhost to ask for my login details to bulkregister but they said that everything needs to go through them?

Many Thanks

On your whois...are all the details under your name or your webhosts?

Check the whois of your domain and see under what name was registered, if is registered under your name with your information, then try contacting register.com and send them the information required so you can get the control over the domain.

Try to get your host to give you the username and password of the domain, they may give it to you without much problems.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Hello!

Gain control over your domain name as soon as possible!

It's always better to register it by yourself, but in this case, if a webhosting company is serious, they should give you login details, or push the domain on your bulkregister account (which, I think, you can create for free).

When you buy a domain, you have a control panel too. So your hoster Must have access to it.
    NetJaguar , LLC: the roaring hosting!
    Created for beginners, perfect for pro's!
    Direct Admin with Installatron - Linux Hosting - try us before you pay

do a whois check on your domain to see if it's registered under you or your webhost.

You can't have control, if it's registered under your webhost name.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    do a whois check on your domain to see if it's registered under you or your webhost.

You can't have control, if it's registered under your webhost name.
    Nope, you can if the hoster pushes the domain into your account @ the registrar website.

Quote Originally Posted by njean
    Nope, you can if the hoster pushes the domain into your account @ the registrar website.
    But in this case, the OP mentionned he contacted the hosting company, and they told him everything must be done thru them (the host). No offer of pushing the domain to the OP's account.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1
    They in turn registered my domain through bulkregister.com
    This domain registered under FREE Domain packages or you pay separately?

If "FREE Domain Packages"...I don't think that company will allow you to deal with registrar but if whois record show you're the owner for that domain...you still have a chance to get it.

Thanks..
    MyLabuan Hosting : Shared & Reseller Hosting|VPS Hosting|Email Backup Services|Domain Services
    Join Us : MyLabuan FB

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Anthony
    But in this case, the OP mentionned he contacted the hosting company, and they told him everything must be done thru them (the host). No offer of pushing the domain to the OP's account.
    Yes, you're right, I was talking in general.

Then in this case it's not a serious company, stay away from them if you can. This is my advice.

Pushing a domain doesnt cost anything to a company, it's just a matter of 5 minutes.

Lots of hosts keep their admin rights on domains just to make the customer stay with them. A domain is everything when you have a website, they know this and force you to stay under them. Not a great behavior..

If you have access to the domain's adminstrative email and if you can have your domain name unlocked, I would suggest transferring your domain to another reputable registrar. I signed up a couple of domains with Yahoo when going with them for hosting. I had very little control of my domain name. I then signed up with GoDaddy and have my domain names transferred to GoDaddy. The whole process took about a week, but it was worth it. Everything went very smoothly.

Terry
    Kick Ass SEO - Minnesota Search Engine Optimization Service

According to whois, I am the administrative contact, but the billing and technical contact is my hosting company.

Then contact the registrar and explain him your situation. You will gain control on it

Anybody else hosting with Helm Hosting ?

According to whois, I am the administrative contact, but the billing and technical contact is my hosting company.
    Good! You can transfer the domain to a reliable registrar like Enom or Namecheap and have full management control.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

I have no problems with bulkregister.com, and would like to continue with them - its just that at the moment my webhost registers the domain name for me,.

I'd add GoDaddy to the list of reliable registrars.

But bulkregister has any fault in this, why do you say it's unreliable?

It is my webhost which is unreliable - I ordered my domain through them, and they in turn registered it for me through bulkregister.com

It is my webhost which is unreliable - I ordered my domain through them, and they in turn registered it for me through bulkregister.com
    Ya Understood.

My suggestion is to stay away from them. How much did you pay? For how long? Are you still in the 30days money back (if they have it) period?

I talk like this because once, a hoster stolen my domain name. After that, he went out of business running with my money too.

So, when they act this way, I put a big no-no upon them!

This is what Im scared of. Ive been with the hosting company for nearly three years, but recently things have been getting progressively worse.

I just contacted bulkregister and they are going to contact my webhost.

Have you tried asking them to transfer domain control over to you? Some hosting companies that you register through put their information in when registering. There is no reason that they can't transfer that control over to you.

Helm Hosting stole my domain and the phone is constantly ignored as are the support tickets and messages I send

It is now registered by Server Space with Enom who won't let me have it back as its not in my name

Paul