Number of Files in a Directory

I have a webserver with CentOS, I was wondering if there's a limit to the number of files in a directory?

I have never done it this way, but can't you just setup quotas and put a limit on the inodes?

No, actually, I'm going to be creating a lot of files in a single directory, I just want to make sure this isn't going to do bad things

Do you mean how many files can be in any directory, or how -large- the files can total in one directory?
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryach
    No, actually, I'm going to be creating a lot of files in a single directory, I just want to make sure this isn't going to do bad things
    In that case, there really shouldn't be a problem...
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Do you mean how many files can be in any directory, or how -large- the files can total in one directory?
    I meant "how many." The files that are created are very small in size, but there are a lot of them.

how many are "lot"? and which filesystem your using to host them?

It will probably get into the thousands.

I'm basically querying another website for information, and while I have permission from this site to do that, they've asked that I cache the information so that if it's queried again, I look at my cached files instead of querying their site again.

Initially I was going to put the information into a database, but I worried about MySQL crashing if too may users tried to access it.

How do you look at the filesystem in CentOS?

CentOS uses ext3 by default which probably is fine. You can check with "mount":

# mount
    /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)

The limit is unlikely under 32K files because one of my mailboxes (in maildir format) has ~24,000 messages in it (about 500 MB, one file per message). The mailbox opens in under 1 seconds via IMAP (ls -l needs less than a second as well), so performance is OK. Nevertheless, if you can, I would suggest splitting it into sub-directories...
    Pings <1 ms, Unlimited Transfer, Lowest Price: http://localhost/

the total number of files/dirs on ext2/3(?) is limited by the number of inodes
    you could check this number with "dumpe2fs /dev/hdXY" or similar
    for big amount of small files i would recommend reiserfs or xfs

why would your mysql db crash?

I'd probably go with ReiserFS or XFS for many files in one directory, although newer ext3 installs can use a tree format for directories, too. The largest I've dealt with was 200k files, but I'm sure you can go larger.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

I think you have things backwards Going to a file based system instead of a database system is almost like going back in time. I would not be worried about mysql crashing over a few thousand rows (I would not be worried about a million rows). Design your database properly and I am sure you will see great speed benefits compared to caching on disk.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com