Windows server level antivirus software

Can I install the desktop version of Norton Antivirus 2006 on Windows 2003 server running Plesk? or can anyone recommend a different product for Windows to provide server level virus protection? I am not wanting a product to scan incoming/outgoing emails, but a product to scan for trojans, etc.

I don't see any problem install NA on a server with plesk.
    You can also see http://www.clamwin.org

I believe NAV and other AV applications detect the OS being installed on. If you try to install desktop version on server OS, it will tell you this software can't be installed.

I've seen this happen before, but I could be wrong as I've not tried it recently with NAV 2006
    Reliability • Performance • Integrity

Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0 For Workstations & Network Servers Lic + Gold Maint 1yr

I believe is what you want, and $52 bucks online download
    prolly can save a bit if you hunt around

Quote Originally Posted by CartHost
    Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0 For Workstations & Network Servers Lic + Gold Maint 1yr

I believe is what you want, and $52 bucks online download
    prolly can save a bit if you hunt around
    I thought you could only purchase it in blocks of 10 and up. You can get CA's eTrust for $40, and it will work on 2003. Check it out though the price seems low.

Clamwin.com would be a good open source and free choice. Or try F Prot which is cheap at US$50 for 10 licenses if I remember correctly. A bit of a problem I face with F Prot is that it tends to update only when you login server. Other than that both are quite good.

FProt is good. However, I would recommend not using the background scanning features of any antivirus scanner on a server -- just do manual scans when you want.

You will find that if the server has a mailserver on then your antivirus will pick up lots of viruses in emails, so you would find more benefit from using an antivirus solution that plugs into your mailserver software.
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Agree totally IIS Windows just doesnt seem good with background scanning. Just do a manual scan once in a while when needed would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TDMWeb
    FProt is good. However, I would recommend not using the background scanning features of any antivirus scanner on a server -- just do manual scans when you want.

You will find that if the server has a mailserver on then your antivirus will pick up lots of viruses in emails, so you would find more benefit from using an antivirus solution that plugs into your mailserver software.

"Symantec corporate has to be bought in blocks of 10, so min price is $520"

It should be illegal to sell like that.
    That's Symantec for you though, theyll pull any scam they can

"Hey lets make all our boxes look the same, to confuse the customers in the store, to buy the bundled **** you dont need!"
    "Hey lets make all our software versions run exactly the same, but put different levels of use on the box to pull in extra cash out of their wallets"
    "Hey lets make our upgrades non upgradable, so they have to buy the new year's version again and not just a anti-virus subscription"

they are so scammy, i bet they release virii

"Symantec corporate has to be bought in blocks of 10, so min price is $520"

It should be illegal to sell like that.
    That's Symantec for you though, theyll pull any scam they can

"Hey lets make all our boxes look the same, to confuse the customers in the store, to buy the bundled **** you dont need!"
    "Hey lets make all our software versions run exactly the same, but put different levels of use on the box to pull in extra cash out of their wallets"
    "Hey lets make our upgrades non upgradable, so they have to buy the new year's version again and not just a anti-virus subscription"

they are so scammy, i bet they release virii

I was hesitant to ask this question but after reading some forums Im gonna bite the bullet..

Is it really neccessary to install Antivirus software on windows 2003 server?

There, I asked it..
    I ask because I consider myself a system admin and almost never get any viruses.. ever. I download all kinds of stuff and surf the internet like a madman. But my inexperienced users (on their own machines) rack up all kinds of viruses. I do have avast AV on my client machine.. but most viruses come as email attachments so its very good for that..

So with this in mind, since the web site is only FTP with no EXECUTE permissions, a software/hardware firwall, and other than that a file (i assume) cannot be downloaded/executed during the web site/client relationship.. Where do the viruses come from?

I agree with the posters above that it running as a background process is just a waste of resources.. Can I get away with no AV? or just periodic scans? Is the antivirus that comes with email servers sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by drdream
    Is it really neccessary to install Antivirus software on windows 2003 server?
    If you ask different people no doubt you'll get different answers.
    It used to be that if all the client pc's were protected that adding AV to the server was overkill. In todays world I don't feel that is true any longer and a multi-layered approach is needed for meaningful protection.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by TDMWeb

sorry to revied this old thread but Fprot suck! i have used it on two of my win2003 dedicated. it can't remove .zip, .exe...etc. it will prevent the outbreak(not allow it to execute) but the infected files is still on your servers.

i'm trying out eTrust and AVG.

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    sorry to revied this old thread but Fprot suck! i have used it on two of my win2003 dedicated. it can't remove .zip, .exe...etc. it will prevent the outbreak(not allow it to execute) but the infected files is still on your servers.

i'm trying out eTrust and AVG.

Same is the case with eTrust. we are using it on our servers and it really sucks when you know there is a virus on the server and you are not able to remove it.
    << Please review the Forum Guidelines regarding signatures >>

Well small business pack for NAV for 5 users should be sufficient, it runs on all the Windows OS so you can also use it on your rest of desktops, laptops and on your server as well. It is pretty stable.
    - Akash Kava
    My Blog
    Web Atoms JS

I use McAfee on our Windows 2003 Server. It does the job well, automatic downloads, automatic updates of clients, etc.

I am seriously considering switching to Trend Micro because they provide a more complete solution.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan
    Clamwin.com would be a good open source and free choice. Or try F Prot which is cheap at US$50 for 10 licenses if I remember correctly. A bit of a problem I face with F Prot is that it tends to update only when you login server. Other than that both are quite good.
    You may setup F-prot to run the update automatically via schedule task with the following :

"C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\FP-Updater\Updater.exe" /QUIT /INTERNET
    run it under your administrator account.
    Tweakservers : SmarterTools | Paessler PRTG | MalwareBytes | Avast Antivirus | Mailenable
    TheSSLMart : Symantec, GeoTrust & Comodo SSL with Website Monitoring Alert

Quote Originally Posted by webstarindia
    Same is the case with eTrust. we are using it on our servers and it really sucks when you know there is a virus on the server and you are not able to remove it.
    what do you use now? does anyone know a good AV that can remove infected files and not just prevent it from executing?

AVG seem to be able to move the infected files to a quanartine folder. btw, Fprot can mistaken some files as virus when in fact it isn't.