looking for reliable vps...

I've been with my current VPS provider for almost a year now, and it's been a slippery slop down...It's been getting worse and worse as far as reliability goes - which is a problem because I pay over double what most VPS accounts charge just for service (which I didn't mind, until the service I received began to become subpar).

Anyways, I'm looking to convert to another VPS provider asap. There are a few main things I would love in a new VPS provider, and I'm just wondering which, if any, can provide them.

I need someone who will help me out on my server. I don't have alot of sites, and I don't do alot of crazy 3rd party stuff. But if something goes wrong, I'd like someone to beable to help me figure things out (why did my apache crash, etc). I know this isn't their job, but even if they're willing to give me a link to somewhere I can learn - I would love this.

Next, I'd really like someone who is willing to help me with security. I try my best to keep my server secure (keeping phpbb up to date, updating cpanel, etc) but I would love if the company has some sort of "security audit" in place that I can run, and have them configure a mod_security for me, or something of that nature.

Actually that's basically it. I just want something secure, and reliable. I'm not afraid to pay more if there's some company's that can provide this. So far I've seen powervps and dehe both have great managed reputations. Would these companies help me on these two aspects? Are there others I might consider?

Thanks,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by fuffalo
    So far I've seen powervps and dehe both have great managed reputations. Would these companies help me on these two aspects?
    Yep definitely. What you described is basically what server management is all about. Each host has their own definition of management though, so whatever company you choose, make sure to read their management definition (or if you can't find it, ask them about it).

Steadfast Networks have been very helpful for me (giving me links on install MRTG, APG, etc). I have also heard good things about Power VPS and LiquidWeb. Either of those three companies would be good for you.

If support is important to you then it would be best to find a provider that does not charge per support ticket. I've been really lucky with eurovps to this effect as I've been badgering them to such an extent with support problems that I'm starting to feel really guilty. But as quite a novice, it is expected of me, and their willingness to help me with tasks that would seem easy to most, has really impressed me.

I would recomend PowerVPS. No problems with them since I moved following the debacle at Tektonic. Hell, PowerVPS Migrated my server to a new datacenter, told me they were going to do it, did it, and guess what, NO PROBLEMS.

I'm trying to hold off from sounding evangellical, I was with Citadel who were great untill AMS got their hands on it, and Tektonic who were ok (though not great) untill it went pear shaped, so I'm touching wood and doing a little dance.

Support is always important, some things will always be out of your hands, so just ask yourself, can you accept a host that may not respond to your tickets/outages and still keep your customers?

I havent tried powervps, but so many on here give them good reviews, they look pretty good.

I have tried dehe and they have great support (they need to work on their trouble ticket system) but their support is awesome and servers are fast.

ServINT i have heard alot about but havent tried them

*tip*

If you dont pay much for a vps and you are cheap with it, expect shotty support, awful security and dowtime.

You get what you pay for. (eg dinix)

Quote Originally Posted by frynge
    I have tried dehe and they have great support (they need to work on their trouble ticket system) but their support is awesome and servers are fast.
    Shhhhh, new system is on the way
    Have a question?

Quote Originally Posted by frynge
    I havent tried powervps, but so many on here give them good reviews, they look pretty good.

ServINT i have heard alot about but havent tried them

*tip*

If you dont pay much for a vps and you are cheap with it, expect shotty support, awful security and dowtime.

You get what you pay for. (eg dinix)
    What have you heard about servINT?

I have NO problem spending money on great service. I currently pay over 100 dollars for what post charge 50 for, just for the service...but it's been going down quickly... ;p

My only concern with DEHE is the guy that keeps posting on the forums...is he the only guy that works there?

My only concern with DEHE is the guy that keeps posting on the forums...is he the only guy that works there?
    Imagine if each and every employee of SolidHost/DEHE starts posting on the forum... Yeah, that should be fun!
    Have a question?

I would also like to recommened PowerVPS. They helped me all the way through set up of the VPS.

Very efficient speed in answering any questions i had also installed RvSkisn for me quickly.

Recommened!

I've been with my current VPS provider for almost a year now, and it's been a slippery slop down...It's been getting worse and worse as far as reliability goes - which is a problem because I pay over double what most VPS accounts charge just for service (which I didn't mind, until the service I received began to become subpar).

Anyways, I'm looking to convert to another VPS provider asap. There are a few main things I would love in a new VPS provider, and I'm just wondering which, if any, can provide them.

I need someone who will help me out on my server. I don't have alot of sites, and I don't do alot of crazy 3rd party stuff. But if something goes wrong, I'd like someone to beable to help me figure things out (why did my apache crash, etc). I know this isn't their job, but even if they're willing to give me a link to somewhere I can learn - I would love this.

Next, I'd really like someone who is willing to help me with security. I try my best to keep my server secure (keeping phpbb up to date, updating cpanel, etc) but I would love if the company has some sort of "security audit" in place that I can run, and have them configure a mod_security for me, or something of that nature.

Actually that's basically it. I just want something secure, and reliable. I'm not afraid to pay more if there's some company's that can provide this. So far I've seen powervps and dehe both have great managed reputations. Would these companies help me on these two aspects? Are there others I might consider?

Thanks,

Kirk
    What company do you host with?

Quote Originally Posted by OMaHTLD
    I would recomend PowerVPS. No problems with them since I moved following the debacle at Tektonic.
    What was the debacle at Tektonic?

What have you heard about servINT?

I have NO problem spending money on great service. I currently pay over 100 dollars for what post charge 50 for, just for the service...but it's been going down quickly... ;p

Actually there were many posts in a server speed thread that SERVINT was slow, but they mentioned they use special technology to stop DDOS attacks which makes their server on the outside look slow.

Many others joked around about it, and implied that they were lieing, but most reviews show that they have fairly good speed and support.

I think i am going to try a server from powervps and then servint...
    Web design :: Frynge.com - http://www.frynge.com
    Web Design - Web Hosting - Web Site Submission and Analysis - Advertising to 1.4 million engines/indexes

PowerVPS are really good.

I recently switched to them and the speed, reliablity and support is first class. I have had two support issues and they were handled and resolved almost immediatley.

Based on experience I strongly recommend servint VPS solutions. I have an VPS with them for a year now. 99.9 uptime - only goes down when system upgrades are done and have grate support

I would recommend SolarVPS, I use them and have been very happy.

@jalapeno55

Tektonic managed to loose a server, and contrary to their statement about making backups (and actually doing it), had no usable backups for that server. Oh, I also had an extra account with them, that months prior I had asked to be moved to seperate hardware for the purposes of backing up my other server. It was still on the same hw months later when it fell over and died. Thats ticket resolution for you.

They then proceeded to ignore their customers. I have not recieved a single response from them, at all, over the problem, despite emails, tickets and telephone calls. Despite "TheWiseOne" being active on the sister Unixshell forum (the Tektonic forum was down too) he simply deleted other users posts on that forum asking about the Tektonic outage, apparently too 'busy' to respond there (not too busy to read and delete though).

When he next reappeared (about 1-2 weeks later), it was to promote his business, not apologise to his customers.

On the bright side, I did get a refund of one account from PayPal (just as well, considering it was only 3 days into its monthly cycle), I'm not even bothering trying for the other.

As I have stated before, failures happen, its a fact. But a business that actively dodges its customers, is unprofessional, and lacks ethics. It would be different if I was a pushy, impolite customer, but I'm not, although I suspect some of the other customers affected by this were less restrained :-)

Enough?

Cheers, Mark.

I'm in the same boat. My VPS has been up and down A LOT in the last few weeks. It seems to be related to the lack of the VPS' ability to handle and process email froo 25 accounts. At this point Apache has completely failed. I have 25 accounts that are very angry because their website is down and email isn't working. It has now reached a point that I can no longer tolerate. I have to have a stable VPS solution ASAP!!!!

Does anyone have an opinion about Hosteasier and/or HostForWeb ? Are they the same vendor? Is one a reseller for the other? Is their tech support really helpful or argumentative? Do they solve problems or do they point fingers and/or suggest you keep upgrading. do they provide Managed service or do they make you do everything, manual configurations, etc.
    internet Computing Solutions - www.icoso.com
    Web Site Hosting/Design - Internet/Network Consultant

Highly recommended http://www.dehe.com/
    Fast support and 100% uptime.
    Br,
    J-M